A Store Bought Long Range Rig

I do not recall if I ever shot 140's through the rifle. Yes this was well before the Demnsion came out. I haven't seen any Icons come out of the factory in a while. T/C moved their manufacturing to MA. and they are busy making their new rifle. I am not sure when the Icons will be back on the market and I cannot get a date from the factory.

After checking my load book I did get to shoot some 140's and they shot real well. I actually sold the rifle to a reader not soon after I wrote about it. I have been trying to get another regular Icon in 6.5 but it appears they have all their attention and machines on the Dimension. Being a writer, I do not have a lot of time, usually 90 days with the rifle. As you can imagine I have to get a scope, reloading supplies etc. I was a product testing editor and only had about three weeks tops with every product. Some rifles take 200 rounds to get the best accuracy. I am getting an article out soon on the 6.5x47 Lapua and in many ways it just as good as the Creedmoor. Another sleeper is the 7mm-08.

The Millet had nice optics for its price. I have only tested the Vortex red dot. I do not know how it would compare. I have the Millet on a ,260 Steyr and it performs well but is fairly large.

The TC in 6.5 Creedmore is heavy, too heavy for a pack in rifle with a suitable scope and a couple cartridges in the magazine IMO.....unless you are the bionic man and immune to carrying a heavy rifle over hill and dale.....

The Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 without a scope is 5.5 pounds or 7.9 with a Vortex 4.5-16 PST and a couple in the magazine aboard, much more conducive to carry in your pack all day....

The Savage also suffers from a too short barrel.......:)

For hunting, I don't see the 6.5 being reliable over 500 yards at least in the clean kill catergory. The 308 and 6.5 are comparable except that the 6.5 is a bit flatter trajectory speaking than the 308 but Hornady is the only manufacturer currently producing the 6.5 unless you handload. The 308 is available everywhere in anything.

I have and like both the 6.5 and 308 in the 11 LWH Series....

You are absolutely correct about the weight problem but the title of the article does not say hunting rifle. I personally think after shooting both .308 and 6.5 C they are close to equal with a good bullet. As far as maxiumum distance for taking animals, that I have no experience and can only look at ballistics. The Savage light weight is a good rifle to pack in the mountains but if I am going to shoot long distance everyday, the weight of the T/C I used, is well appreciated. The Savage long range hunter might be a good all round rifle. Anyway, everyone has their own thoughts, experiences and ideas. Stick with what YOU like.

I wish Savage would try a 5R barreled rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.