A question for those with Vortex FFP scopes.

SaskShooter

I've decided to buy myself a new Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 scope for my long range/coyote rifle build.

Now I'd like to get the FFP model with EBR-1 MOA reticle, but I need to know this:

Is the reticle wide enough on 6X to clearly and quickly pick up on for close shots? This will be a gun I take out coyote calling with me, and you never know if they're gonna be 50 yards out or 1000.

AND is the reticle thin enough on 24X that it won't obscure too much coyote at 800-1000 yards to place the shots cleanly?

I've been through a few SFP scopes, and other than the "too thick/too thin" issues, it seems like FFP would be totally superior for my shooting.

Have you looked at the 4-16 pst? It has wider FOV on 4x, and a thiner reticle on 16x. Plus 16x is more than enough for 1000 yard shots on coyote size animals

I already have a Vortex 4-16X44 Viper HS on my medium range "walking" coyote gun. I think it's perfectly fine, but I'd prefer a bit more magnification for the really long shots. I may wind up using this gun for some competition shooting as well. Besides, it doesn't cost that much more to get the 6-24 over the 4-16.

I already have a Vortex 4-16X44 Viper HS on my medium range "walking" coyote gun. I think it's perfectly fine, but I'd prefer a bit more magnification for the really long shots. I may wind up using this gun for some competition shooting as well. Besides, it doesn't cost that much more to get the 6-24 over the 4-16.

No I wasnt thinking about cost, I was thinking about your close range shooting concerns, and thick reticle converns. There is nothing wrong with either

I have had a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope for more then 2 years.

First off you need to understand that with the PST FFP reticule at 24x can be held on a 22 caliber bullet hole in a paper target at 100 yds. As you decrease the power the target "AND" reticule decreases in thickness in the same amount all the way down to 6x. AND vica versa. If you want to shoot a coyote in the eye the reticule will be much thinner then the coyotes eye at 1,000 yds. or 10 yds. and at every magnification in-between.

Now I have been hunting with mine in hardwoods and pine forests at 6x hundreds of times. When you get your scope you may think that the reticule is way to thin at 6x to see in brush. Well it only took me a very short time to get used to it and I like it better then a thicker reticule in a SFP scope. And don't forget that you can turn the illumination on if you like. If the reticule was to thick at 24x I would not have been able to put three 5 shot groups into the center of target at 1,000 yds. Everyone of those 15 shots would have hit the boiler room of an antelope.

Since you are planning on getting this scope you will never regret it. And you could get a custom turret like I did and you will love that also.

joseph

PS: Here is a Thread on how I mounted mine for shooting long range:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

I also put the PST on my Browning BAR 30-06 and sighted it in and the custom turret works on it also:

My mid range rifle I hope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
The reticle will always remain the same size, .18 MOA which will be 1.89 in at 1000 yards which is a bit more than a coyote eye :rolleyes:

I have had a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope for more then 2 years.

First off you need to understand that with the PST FFP reticule at 24x can be held on a 22 caliber bullet hole in a paper target at 100 yds. As you decrease the power the target "AND" reticule decreases in thickness in the same amount all the way down to 6x. AND vica versa. If you want to shoot a coyote in the eye the reticule will be much thinner then the coyotes eye at 1,000 yds. or 10 yds. and at every magnification in-between.

Now I have been hunting with mine in hardwoods and pine forests at 6x hundreds of times. When you get your scope you may think that the reticule is way to thin at 6x to see in brush. Well it only took me a very short time to get used to it and I like it better then a thicker reticule in a SFP scope. And don't forget that you can turn the illumination on if you like. If the reticule was to thick at 24x I would not have been able to put three 5 shot groups into the center of target at 1,000 yds. Everyone of those 15 shots would have hit the boiler room of an antelope.

Since you are planning on getting this scope you will never regret it. And you could get a custom turret like I did and you will love that also.

joseph

PS: Here is a Thread on how I mounted mine for shooting long range:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

I also put the PST on my Browning BAR 30-06 and sighted it in and the custom turret works on it also:

My mid range rifle I hope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

On a different topic, I love the paint job on that Savage! Details, please, details!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.