A question about EYES

Chrismadrid

OK so here goes.

The other day (well night in fact) I noted that I had to adjust the ocular lens to a different dioptric setting at night to that set up in daylight - reticle was well blurred. So dug out ALL the ill-ret scopes I have and seems generalised - i.e not a dodgy scope - more likely dodgy eyes!

Not sure if this is commonplace or I really do NEED to get to an optician - I'm long sighted. Odd thing is that the setting was nearer to "0" at night.

As the eyepiece (or ocular lens at the back of the scope) does focus the reticule image going to your eye so you can see it, if you had to change the eyepiece setting your eye lens (cornea) has changed.

I think you need an eye exam because your eyes have changed.

If you are getting old I can recommend a good pediatrician.

Now then being an engineer I am highly qualified to perform most major surgeries and know just about everything about the human body.

It is my prognosis that you have a bad set of rods and your engine needs a major overhaul but it does seem as if your cones are doing OK

Eye biology
bad rods

Stupid humor aside - Day vison uses cone cells and night vision uses rod cells in the eyes.

If you are one of us who hate to meet a BMW or Mercedes on the road at night because those blue headlights are just blinding then your problem is that your rod cells are getting old just like the rest of you. The blue headlights do not bother the kids.

Maybe some of the older coyote night hunters have some words of wisdom on what to do. Personally I am afraid of the dark and don't hunt at night because the vampires and werewolves would get me.

I am just so happy to be going hunting tomorrow it is hard to be serious. Sorry about the stupidity.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you are one of us who hate to meet a BMW or Mercedes on the road at night

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at any time - leastways here - I think it is written into Spanish traffic laws that only complete t*ssers are permited a BMW/MERC drivers licence.

Mercs have a built in right of way - Well documented in germany where it is commonly called "Eingebautesvorfahrtrecht".

Beemers - well - 'nuff sed". My opinions are conflictive. The ideal counter is a Battlescarred Hummer H1. Or Land Rover with treadplate sidings.

So eyes - Will fit new rods and try to avoid the cones.

Do you wear corrective lenses? I went through a long transitional phase in which I would wear glasses, but take them off for shooting, and, of course, since the focus was in that direction, it was a strong inducement, regardless of how fast the animal was moving. Probably helped with flinging lead, although I have never been guilty of that to any degree?

Anyway, my optometrist has changed my prescription several times in the last fifteen years or so. The surprising thing, (to me) is that my vision sometimes improves slightly, from one visit to the next. Close up reading is another thing, altogether. I think that has degraded in a predictable direction, worse. They tell me that this is common in a healthy eye, the result of aging and happily, there are methods of dealing with the problem.

My son, nearsighted, used to wear glasses when he was younger, but apparently grew out of it, even at night, he is extremely good at picking up eyes way out there.

Okay, getting back to my point. I have frequently required a small adjustment of focus when switching from day hunting to night hunting. I don't think it has anything to do with the condition of my eyes? It's more like adjusting parallax, something required, from time to time. I have come to appreciate the eyepiece adjustments on the high end Eurpoean scopes when night hunting. I don't know why ambient light conditions require this adjustment, but it does, so I do it.

I wouldn't worry about it, Chris. I think it is fairly normal for the discriminating shooter to see the difference when shooting at night, and want to do something about it.

Good hunting. LB

Thanks for that input.

I dont wear glasses etc - as it's only a problem close in. Anything more than 40cms away and I'm fine until I get REALLY tired - or drink too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But It's worse in colour so maybe there is something to the rod/cone argument. Oddly the effect is MORE noticeable on HIGH END optics - The S&B demands it - a cheaper Hakko, also but less so.

Chris, so Merc and BMW drives are the same in Spain too eh?
Ive got the same thing with my day to night vision, different setting at night. I wear glassed but i never wear them whilst shooting or hunting, infact im sure some of it is a mental thing, i often drive to work, leaving mz glasses in the bath room, i don't notice i'm not wearing them for a couple of hours, as soon as i notice its as if some one fiddled with the focus..
wierd eh.
Pete

The rods age at a differetn rate than the cones. You lose your night vision at an earlier age than you day vision. There is a very good article on this but it is copy protected so I can't lift it.

Here is acouple of more pieces of information. This whole question has been very interesting to me being as I myself am having trouble as soon as the sun goes down. I think I am going to have to shell out the big bucks for the big 56 mm objectives.

[ QUOTE ]
Making Night Driving Safer
For many drivers, vision is affected significantly by darkness. A driver with 20/20 vision during the day can experience a reduction of visual acuity to 20/40 at night. In fact, approximately one out of ten drivers actually needs special night driving glasses.
Darkness also restricts side vision and alters depth perception, which affects all drivers. Therefore, all drivers, even those who don't need special night driving glasses, can make night driving safer by heeding these tips from the Pennsylvania Optometric Association:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Q: I am 58 years old. My last examination showed my eyesight has improved dramatically. What would be the reason for this? — B.C., Virginia
A: You don't say if you are nearsighted or farsighted. If you are nearsighted, it is really common for nearsightedness to decrease (get better) in the 50s and 60s. If you are farsighted, there are several medical conditions that can cause a dramatic decrease in prescription, including cataracts and diabetes. Please ask your eye doctor to explain why your eyes changed in this manner. It's probably normal aging (what an awful concept!). — Dr. Dubow
Q: How can I improve my night vision? — Jamie, Montana
A: Good night vision is partly hereditary. But you can do several things to have better night vision.
First of all, make sure you have your eyes checked on a regular basis (I recommend yearly), and wear your distance prescription at night. People tend to be more nearsighted at night because there is very little to focus on far away, so your glasses or contact lenses actually do more for your vision at night than during the day.
Second, if you wear glasses, make sure you have an antireflection coating on your lenses. This helps cut down on glare and really improves your ability to see at night.
Third, eat a good diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Even though your mom always told you to do this, it is not a myth! A good diet can help you see better. And carrots are not the only food that you should think about. Current research shows that dark green leafy vegetables, like spinach, kale, or collard greens, are very helpful in maintaining healthy eyes and good vision. — Dr. Dubow

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Chris, so Merc and BMW drives are the same in Spain too eh? ....i often drive to work, leaving mz glasses in the bath room, i don't notice i'm not wearing them for a couple of hours, Pete

[/ QUOTE ] So do you drive a Beemer or Merc?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - here the gambit has increased with the Porsche Cayenne arriving - Ideal for taking the doggies to the shops, darling - must get a henna rinse done - the beard I mean - then dig out the trilby from the Volvo days (The golden retriever long since passed on).

[image]http://
Lazzeroni.gif
[/image]

Just so you know ,

Roy considered it an honor to give a gift that MAY be used to "buffalo " bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.