a question about .223, I've been getting all kinds of answers so I'm looking for more input

mustardtiger56

Hey guys,

Currently I own a heavy barrelled browning in .223 with a heavy 1/12 twist factory barrel. I shoot targets out to 500 yards with it using 53gr V-Max and am curious as to how many rounds I should be able to put through it before it is no longer minute of p-dog at 300-400 yards or able to hit targets consistently at 500. What do you guys think? Assuming I don't let it get too hot, 5k--6k rounds would be nice, am I hoping for too much?

Let me know if you need any other info.

There are soooo many variables it's a bit reckless, IMO, to offer you a number that makes sense for your rifle. I look for 3,000 rounds in my Rem. 40x .223 varmint rifle - but I hope for 5,000. How I load it, how I clean it, and other factors are certain to influence round count. I'll just shoot it until the day when I have a disappointing experience at the range or a varmint hunt and then order the replacement.

........how I clean it,.........

Lots of factors as has been noted, but I think cleaning style and frequency is the one that jumps out at me these days.

You don't say how well it shoots now, which would give an idea as to how far it has to decline.

To pin it down though I'd say yes 3000-5000 rounds doesn't seem unrealistic life as a varminter.

it shoots sub moa, usually around 0.8 but I've had a few 0.5 as well with the V-max. That stuff is so expensive but the only round that will consistently take me out to 500 yards.

Quite a while ago, I bought a new Savage 12 LRPV in .223 and 7 twist to be used exclusively for groundhog match competition. My best load was 25.5 grs Varget with moly coated 80 gr. Berger VLD's. Because the barrel must remain factory, I hoped to get 5K rounds out of it.

I kept close count of the number of pills thru the pipe. All of a sudden at 3300+ rounds, it just stopped shooting well. One day I had .250 groups, next day they went to over an inch. Checked the throat with my bore magnifier and it was severely eroded. Rechambering is not permitted. I bought another Savage like it and have it shooting well with 77 gr Berger OTM"s over a stiff load of RL15.

I am not moly coating bullets with this new rifle. In a few years, I will let you know how many rounds went thru it before it bites the dust.

Last edited:
My experience and observing others with 223's with unlined barrels(chrome) being used at egg shoots is that 3000 rounds is typical for sub MOA going +MOA. Heat, velocity, cleaning method, twist, etc can influence this +/-500 rounds but I plan around this count and start taking a close look at my groups when I get over 2000 rounds.IMO

I put well over 6000 rounds (mostly 40 Vmaxes @3800fps+) through a Ruger VT before selling it to a buddy. He has put another 1000 rounds through it and it still wacks dogs @ 300 consistently......It will no longer throw a 40 grain Vmax but is MOA yet with 55 grainers
A couple of Savage 9 twist are over 3000 rounds and still shooting the 40 grain Vmaxes to 300 yards.
Worry about it when it happens

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.