• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

A perplexing reloading problem

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I have been reloading since 1962 and neck turn, anneal case necks and measure powder charges to within .00, yet have run into a problem I cannot solve and does not seem rational to me.

I have had a 6.5x284 for over fourteen year. Its Krieger match barrel absolutely loves: Nosler 130 gr. Accubonds, 48.5 grains of H4831 sc, and Fed LR march primers for decades. I have fed it copious amounts of this loading and the barrel has now been set back to 25 inches. I have never lost a case to a loose primer situation and neck anneal every other loading.

Suddenly, in full length sizing I am having trouble closing the bolt, furthermore and much more vexing a fair amount of cases will not fit my shellholder for resizing. I do use a straight line seater, but cannot make any sense of resizing and case rims not fitting th shellholder in my RCBS press.

I,d really appreciate some knowledgeable experienced help in this challenge.

Thanks in advance,

Hello,
I have been reloading since 1962 and neck turn, anneal case necks and measure powder charges to within .00, yet have run into a problem I cannot solve and does not seem rational to me.

I have had a 6.5x284 for over fourteen year. Its Krieger match barrel absolutely loves: Nosler 130 gr. Accubonds, 48.5 grains of H4831 sc, and Fed LR march primers for decades. I have fed it copious amounts of this loading and the barrel has now been set back to 25 inches. I have never lost a case to a loose primer situation and neck anneal every other loading.

Suddenly, in full length sizing I am having trouble closing the bolt, furthermore and much more vexing a fair amount of cases will not fit my shellholder for resizing. I do use a straight line seater, but cannot make any sense of resizing and case rims not fitting th shellholder in my RCBS press.

I,d really appreciate some knowledgeable experienced help in this challenge.

Thanks in advance,
How long has it been since the set back, have you cleaned you chamber good and have you cleaned your sizing die, how may firings on the brass

Perhaps, substantial difference in set-back reamer and your original chamber & die settings.

How many rounds on that brass? Sounds like it is worn out - the fact that the rim will not fit shell holder is a clue. I always start a new barrel (or chamber) with new brass.

Measure with caliper the base of a fired case and compare with a new case. Difference should not be more than .003"

morning, measure the distance between the bottom
of the shell thru the web to the bottom of the rim.
do this with a new case and a problem case. elf
my have expressed the problem. the problem could
b caused from excessive FL Sizing. I ran into this
problem with a 6mmAI. the case when FL Sizing,
firing, and other stresses, has pushed the flow
of brass toward the back of the fired cases??
justme gbot tum

Fellow shooters,
I took out the shellholder and used it as a gauge to separate the brass. I measured the extractor groove of these cases which would not go into the shellholder. Despite my years of annealing, keeping track of oal and a load nowhere near the max, while still being warm, I found the extractor groove measured at least .001 thicker on the cases which would not fit the shellholder. Bottom line, I need some new brass, I have been shooting this for quite some time, and have already gotten 200 new cases.
Thank you for your insight.
Wildcat westerner