A Old Sako Gets A Facelift

Wookie316

Well I picked up this freshy barreled AV action Sako from a fellow on Saturday & thought I'd post a picture or 2.

This rifle was supposed to be for my Dad, but now after getting it all back together & the barrel channel fitting properly, I am not so sure I want to give it to him anymore? :confused:

Here are all the details:

Sako AV Magnum action
S/S Matte finish 7mm Rem Mag Sako profiled Ted Gaillard barrel finished @ 24 1/4" with recessed crown.
Sako Hunter Wood stock @ 13.5 LOP. I do have a McMillan in the closet I am considering putting on instead?
Trigger set to 3lbs.
After Market detachable 3+1 round magazine.
Leupold rings & mounts.
Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40mm gloss duplex.

Reloading begins tomorrow. 140gr Nosler pills to start with.

_JAY5124.jpg

_JAY5129.jpg

_JAY5125.jpg

_JAY5131.jpg

_JAY5126.jpg

This rifle came to me as a 22" 7mm when I got it. It shot fine but had a bulge in the barrel about half way down the pipe. Copper fouling was terrible, so I opted for one of Ted's fine replacements.

Range Report to follow.

:)

That's a good lookin' rig. What is the intended use? 140grain bullets would be on the light end for a 7RM.

Also, your pics almost look like "glamour shots". Are you a pro photographer?

+ 1, great looking rifle, and awesome pictures!!! You are skilled with the camera!!!
Thanks for posting.

140gr work great on deer. Got some 160's for the bigger stuff.

Agreed, the 140s are great on deer. They shoot well in my 280. But you have a 7mag. That will push the big bullets faster, far and hard. That's a recipe for long range hunting. If it were me, I'd be looking to shoot the 168VLD at almost everything.

Acutally, I'm really in the early stages of load development for my 280. With deer season about to open, the 140 load was the first one I got to shoot well, so I'm going with that. Once the season closes, I'll be looking to develop a load for the 168VLD in the 280. It might not shoot as flat as the 140, but it sure carries a bunch more punch and adds quite a bit more yardage to my capability.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts