A newcomers perspective/guide into Customs and reloading

Lahunter76

Ok First of all, some may remember the process of me getting information and having my first rifle built....but this is what I have learned after about a year.

30 Nosler
3.638 cut chamber(not 100% what I wanted but that's what it measures out to be)
Weatherby Mk V action (was a 300roy originally)
28" 1:9 twist #5 contour Hart Barrel
Terminator Break
McMillan Game Warden Adjustable Stock
Tally picitany base
Night Force Rings
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56

ADG Brass
Fed 215m Primers (I just got in some CCI Mag primers)

I am a novice to reloading and all things when it comes to custom rifles.

going into this I felt like reloading was easy....I had reloaded for a couple rifles that my dad and I had, and came out with great results, wanting to push faster but stay as accurate as possible. The following is what I had done.
-Winchester 70 classic: 7mm Rem Mag ( ALL STOCK, been shooting for years) was able to achieve consistent .5 MOA with 150 BSTs and RL 25 fed 215m primers
-Sako 75: 25-06 (ALL STOCK) was able to achieve consistent .75 MOA with 100 Barns Vortex and 7828ssc

so I just knew that, if I could produce that with two completely stock hunting rifles that then I could reproduce that or better with a semi custom rifle......well I have not been able to. Its been a pain since the build.

originally I wanted to run 215 berger hybrids and with alot of help from ppl on this site(which I a so grateful of) I had a round and chamber cut that I was wanting to pursue. I was not concerned that it was a chamber that was not a SAAMI spec... I mean I was reloading so I could produce my own...right.....

Well due to the way the nosler had a rebated rim and the shape of the bergers, my rifle would not feed the rounds correctly but would most other brands, such as the Hornaday 212 eldx...which my gun builder recommended...so thats what I went with.

I have a few powders but really wanted to use the N570 for the velocity and since this was a primarily a hunting rifle the high heat burn that the N570 has didnt concern me. I do have and several ppl on here have told me to use H1000, and I will, but atm I had started the N570 loads so thats what I was going to stick with since thats what I had the most of.

Since then I have not been able to get better then 1.5" at 100 yds and have gotten as wide of a group as 4" at 100 yds........I have not shot more then about 60 rounds threw the barrel. BUT I was really thinking that I could achieve 1" or a little better at 100yds and then go from there and at least hunt with the rifle....but I refuse to hunt with a semi custom rifle that doesnt shot as well as my other hunting rifles that I have had for years and killed countless White Tails with....

SO WHAT HAVE I LEARNED......

1) if you are new to reloading use a dang SAAMI spec chamber so you can go and buy ammo for
2) dont use a Weatherby Action: nothing wrong with the action...great action, but finding a gunsmith that like or will work them is an adventure into itself down here in Louisiana....you are much better off using a m700 or just get a custom action....very little price difference at the end of the day and you get a great action with great tolerances
3) any round is a great long range round.....simple is better, do not over estimate your ability as a reloaded or a shooter. I advise buying a custom rifle already built or maybe one like a Christensen Arms (example, not promoting) a buddy of mine got one in 6.5 PRC the same time I had mine built and I sighted it in and shot it for him......with hornady 147 eldm factory ammo and shot several groups ranging from .75-.5" at 100yds.
4) built/custom doesn't guarantee better....there is alot of work that has to be put in....and a HUGE learning curve....
5) be reasonable with your needs vs wants.....this is an expensive hobby and as ppl say.....a deep rabbit hole...

NOW What.....

Now if I am not able to get this combination to working correctly then I am going to look at a different route I guess....Going to salvage what I have some how. So stay tuned....and prayers that I dont lose my mind lol.

Ive shot dimes and truck loads of game with my Weatherbys stock,my 26 year old son is at over 50 game with my 38 yr ol 340wby

You have some very specific info but very little info posted about who the smith was. You can have the best components in the world but if a hack did all the work, you will have a crappy rifle.

When you told the smith the cartridge and bullet, did you also specify more, such as freebore?

Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. The only person I know with a 30 Nosler has problems with it - he shoots a lot better than me, consistently as good or better than whatever rifle he touches, but is having fits with that chambering.

Maybe I'm late to the game and "builder" isn't synonymous with gunsmith, but seems like the guy who put this together might should be embarrassed about 4" at 100 and want to look it over. I'm pretty sure the guy I work with would be so ****ed about that he'd want to prove it could shoot a nickle just because he's proud of what he does and would refuse to let something with his name attached to it exist that shoots that way. He might never let me hear the end of it if it was my handloads that were the root cause, but he'd back up his work.

I would think a fair deal would be for you and him to either agree on a factory ammo to shoot, or you pony up and buy a set of handloads from somewhere reputable (to remove yourself from the equation here, for fairness to the smith) and each of you shoot half of them. If it shoots at an inch or less, I think he lived up to his end unless he made specific promises. If it shoots godawful, you'd have to come to an agreement over terms, but at that point he should agree something needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Seems like you learned a lot. I always recommend starting simple and it seems that you learned that. I say if you're starting from scratch don't get caught up in the internets overload of information. Start with a factory rifle and factory ammo. Learn how to mount scopes, clean the gun and shoot. Then learn to reload. Start simple. You don't need all the crazy precision techniques to load and shoot nice groups and the foundation of learning will help you as you progress. When you do move forward start with something common a Remington 700 or Savage and work on a modifying that. Try a new trigger, improve stock/bedding, better scope then maybe a new barrel. Now you are learning more and more and haven't blown many thousands to get there. With the experience you gain you can start basing your decisions on real life experience not internet chatter. You are in a good group here but these guys have been doing this for years and have the foundation.

You don't mention in this thread the builder.
I'm suspecting that either the barrel is a bad one (it happens) or it was not built right.
I don't think it is the action or stock or other pieces.

I was talking with the president of a rifle-building company a couple of weeks ago as we shot together. He noted that 1 of 10 barrels from a well-known maker they use ends up being bad, which is why they test fire every rifle for accuracy before it leaves. It's also why they have started making their own barrels.

It certainly is disheartening and I feel your pain, it may be something simple ( or not)...I would load a few rounds starting at 150 gr, some 180-5, and 208/212. H4350 or H1000 fed 215....try these before you cannabilize the gun. Being a 30 cal you may have friends that can give you 3 or 4 projectiles to cut costs! Best of Luck!

You don't mention in this thread the builder.
I'm suspecting that either the barrel is a bad one (it happens) or it was not built right.
I don't think it is the action or stock or other pieces.

I was talking with the president of a rifle-building company a couple of weeks ago as we shot together. He noted that 1 of 10 barrels from a well-known maker they use ends up being bad, which is why they test fire every rifle for accuracy before it leaves. It's also why they have started making their own barrels.
1/10 that is a lot. I have doubt.

Check over all your fasteners to make sure they are torqued. Maybe the scope is bad try swapping it out. Also I put one of those terminator breaks onto a barrell that was already threaded and it was throwing bullets like crazy, I couldn't see where the bullet was contacting the brake, I ended up selling it to a buddy and it's fine on his rifle.

What is different about your chamber vs saami spec? (i'm not sure what 3.68" cut is supposed to mean)
I am assuming all you changed was the Freebore. You can still shoot factory ammo it will just jump a mile which isn't bad.

Maybe your loading is bad.

can you truely shoot? I was developing a load for a buddy. He shot the first group at like 2.5". I said ***? I shot 3 of the same and it was like .75 not great but not bad. I realized no sense letting him shoot the test ammo if he can't shoot.

Ok, first and foremost was not intending this post as a negative towards anyone. Just a perspective for beginner that I may be able to help someone that's starting out as I was.

A salami spec 30 Nosler is only 3.34 coal, I was to have a chamber cut for 3.6 coal with .225 freebore.

I have not contacted my smith yet because I am not 100% saying it's not my reloading. I intentionally didn't put the company name because I was not here to bash them.

I may not be a professional shooter but I can shoot well enough that I can shoot 1" or less groups at 100 on a bench with rest/bags etc.

I am still going to play with this some more, I will not start changing things on my set up just yet, going to wait till after February probably. Only thing may try to do is recut my chamber to a SAAMI spec 300 ultra mag. I don't even know if that's possible. I am still learning everyday.