A New Rodent to Hunt

Gators get their share, but as thick as the gators are there are still not enough of them to do much control. Ground nutria meat used to be the prime food source for farm raised gators. Farmers would buy them from hunters and trappers. But then gators started getting sick. It was discovered that lead poisoning was the problem - from lead in the nutria meat. So that market was lost and fur trade has never rebound since the 80s. Population control is still a problem.
Was that (lead poisoning) in California!!!

Destroying river banks in Oregon....be a great nite hunt floating down the river...

But..of course....the 'Greenies' in Eugene have a place where if you hit one with your vehicle..you can be fined.....
Did I say 'idiots'.....
I see them frequently in Hillsboro, Beaverton and Salem. They have no fear of humans. I have been tempted to get out at night with an air rifle and NV.

A new Varmint/Rodent to HUNT!

25 or so years ago we had high water in a river that bordered our hunting property. We went in in a John boat to see if there were any decent high areas. We saw them on that property for the first time. I tried to get my buddy to let me get them then, it was winter so they should have been in season, 2 years later a 6" creek was then 6' deep and I was going to remove the dams the quick way.Somebody called my house about 3 nights later and said that he was watching. We manually removed the 1st, largest damage after we weakened the next 2. The 1st on took out all the others (6 or 8 of them) They were all back 2 weeks later and stronger than ever. We had to build a bridge. Then I got another call wanting to let them train people. After everything that we had done including a bridge I said HELP NO. If he would have had that type of attitude things would have been different. I guess that they were ignorant as to the future. I still got some by breaking dams and catching them coming out to repair it when the lodge entrance was getting close. Don't let them get a head start. They're almost as bad as pigs and eventually in the right areas nutria.

Use a steel machete. I've wondered about that during our (neusance) goose season. Provided that you have your tags. Golf courses would probably pay a bounty. I understand they love to crap on the greens.

Been in LA since 1930's , they were everywhere in early 90s when I lived down there--- size of beavers -- some locals make some pretty good stew out of 'em

So wrong in calling it stew. It's called gumbo.

Don't know if it's true but several years ago a self proclaimed expert said that he saw a few i nutria in our Lake Murry. Since we haven't had a population explosion I think our expert wasn't a otter expert either.
Gumbo is usually thicker and has more rice than stew, doesn't it? Acoonass I know up here does it that way. It's good whatever it's called.

They are here in Washington state, we had one at work a few years ago, in a vacuum separater pit outside the control room. I saw it under the grating and thought it was a huge rat. I went down to check it out and it dove into the sump pump pit and stayed under water. Told the super about it and he went out to look and knew what it was.

Agreed it's not new-we had them in central TX in the early 80s, they would tear up the dams on our stock tanks. For some reason they were frequently, at night, in my grandfather's yard that was over half a mile from the nearest tank. We shot a few, then eventually they died off. A small group showed up in the late 90s but they disappeared quickly, most likely due to coyotes or lack of water.

So wrong in calling it stew. It's called gumbo.
They made a thick gravy based stew out of it-- I probably would have preferred a lighter roux/tomato based spicy gumbo with rice.--- looove me some gumbo

Iirc, Prudhomme's restraunt served a nutria chili -- was an old family recipe

when invited over for food-- you never asked what you were eating until after the meal--- I never had anything i didn't like the taste of-- but there were a few things I wouldn't have tried if I knew what they were ahead of time

Last edited:
Been through 2 survival training courses including the USAF. Scaled down for extreme boy scouts im sure. My scoutmaster was a badly shot up offficer from Nam. It and pulled some strings. It was in Santee Cooper Swamp long time ago. The thing is that we were in there for 10 days and you knew very well what it was that you were eating. It comes in handy, when you have to go to a cookout where the cook really stinks. I always think that I've had much worse......I think !!!!