A MUST have for me on any hunt, and is always with me.

I had a family relative go to ER and wait and wait , even after telling them it's serious. Like wait for an hour or more...I bring this up to wonder if we'd be better off calling 911 even if we can or think we can drive or get a quick family ride?

Having the paramedic call in and tell them it's serious probably carries more weight than you telling them it's serious. An anxious patient is often not taken seriously by the receptionist. If you make the 911 call, you will likely be first in line when you get to the ER, and they'll already have a monitor on your chest and a line in your arm. This could count for a lot if it's there's an urgent need for IV meds, which there probably would be with a cardiac event. If you live way out in the countryside somewhere, waiting for the ambulance would be a problem. The 911 call as a family member drives you into town would possibly get you directed to an ER that isn't swamped with patients. If there's two ER's in your town and one has three helicopters on the roof from a major auto accident, you would certainly want to be directed to the other one. The 911 call is your best opportunity to know that you should drive to the other one.

Certainly one of the more interesting threads I have read in some time. Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. Like many here I have stents in my heart, so heart health is a thing in my life. I am a medical professional but not a cardiologist. Much has been said about aspirin here, fine, valid, carry it. Some was spoken on nitro tablets. There are reasons that this med requires a prescription. Well said Mr. Beardog. Also be aware that nitro tablets not only have a short half life they have a short shelf life as well so if you toss them in a pack for a year or two the potency will likely be substantially diminished when you might need it most.
May I add a third preventive not yet spoken here? L- Arginine, this one is OTC and can be found at your health food store as a drink mix in a powder form. (If you are on blood pressure meds or other vasodilators please speak to your doctor before you go down this path.)

L-Arginine works in similar fashion to Nitro tablets its mechanism of action is to create nitric oxide (NO) which is well known to effect smooth muscle dilatation thereby opening up vascular flow - which may well help in the event of a heart attack. So you can toss a tube of this in your pack with out a prescription. It will also drop blood pressure in some to a degree. (Thus the disclaimer about using this in addition to blood pressure meds).
The problem with L-Arginine and NO is that its existence is so fleeting as to be of little to no value by it's self, thus the reason why L-Citrulline is added to the L-Arginine this prolongs the effects of L-arginine and it's production NO in our systems.

The real value with L-Arginine and L-Citrulline as I see it, and use it, is as a vaso protective and thus cardio preventive. We are sipping on this stuff on our way up the mountain in order to protect ourselves from the massive amount of oxidative stress that we inflict upon our vasculature as we trudge up and down the mountains under heavy packs and at high altitudes. Free radical damage to the endothelial layer of cells, which is the very fragile one or two cell thick inner lining of our vascular systems is precisely the thing that more NO in our systems is meant to protect and replenish. Oxidative damage to the endothelium has much to do with why we get tired and it is precisely the reason that diabetic's end up losing eyes fingers toes and kidneys - those are the end loop capillaries where the very smallest of blood vessels are damaged the most - same with the heart. L-Arginine and L-Citrulline protects your blood vessels by increasing NO in the endothelial lining of your vasculature. That's why world famous African Olympic marathoners have for years been using beet juice as part of their training - because beets and beet juice increase the amount of NO in their systems - prolonging endurance. Describing the function of NO on the heart is what won a Nobel prize for researchers in physiology in 1998. By now the vaso protective properties of NO is well known to the medical community.

Now for those of you in the He-man-woman-haters-club (more likely your 20 something children) who are more prone to be pounding a so called "Energy drink" up the mountain - your bloody fools - or at the very least "you know not what you do". You are with out doubt putting yourselves at risk for a potentially sever adverse cardiovascular events, that's med speak for heart attack or stoke- yes, even in a 20 something, and for sure you are worsening your situation by dehydrating your self with all the caffeine and stimulants at precisely the time when your body really needs to hydrate.

Consider, a different approach. L-Arginine with L-Citrulline will take you further and keep you longer on the mountain and in a pinch, could be used as an effective adjunct to your baby aspirin and that just might be enough to get you to the ER alive and into the Cath-lab or better yet, help prevent it all in the first place.

Certainly one of the more interesting threads I have read in some time. Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. Like many here I have stents in my heart, so heart health is a thing in my life. I am a medical professional but not a cardiologist. Much has been said about aspirin here, fine, valid, carry it. Some was spoken on nitro tablets. There are reasons that this med requires a prescription. Well said Mr. Beardog. Also be aware that nitro tablets not only have a short half life they have a short shelf life as well so if you toss them in a pack for a year or two the potency will likely be substantially diminished when you might need it most.
May I add a third preventive not yet spoken here? L- Arginine, this one is OTC and can be found at your health food store as a drink mix in a powder form. (If you are on blood pressure meds or other vasodilators please speak to your doctor before you go down this path.)

L-Arginine works in similar fashion to Nitro tablets its mechanism of action is to create nitric oxide (NO) which is well known to effect smooth muscle dilatation thereby opening up vascular flow - which may well help in the event of a heart attack. So you can toss a tube of this in your pack with out a prescription. It will also drop blood pressure in some to a degree. (Thus the disclaimer about using this in addition to blood pressure meds).
The problem with L-Arginine and NO is that its existence is so fleeting as to be of little to no value by it's self, thus the reason why L-Citrulline is added to the L-Arginine this prolongs the effects of L-arginine and it's production NO in our systems.

The real value with L-Arginine and L-Citrulline as I see it, and use it, is as a vaso protective and thus cardio preventive. We are sipping on this stuff on our way up the mountain in order to protect ourselves from the massive amount of oxidative stress that we inflict upon our vasculature as we trudge up and down the mountains under heavy packs and at high altitudes. Free radical damage to the endothelial layer of cells, which is the very fragile one or two cell thick inner lining of our vascular systems is precisely the thing that more NO in our systems is meant to protect and replenish. Oxidative damage to the endothelium has much to do with why we get tired and it is precisely the reason that diabetic's end up losing eyes fingers toes and kidneys - those are the end loop capillaries where the very smallest of blood vessels are damaged the most - same with the heart. L-Arginine and L-Citrulline protects your blood vessels by increasing NO in the endothelial lining of your vasculature. That's why world famous African Olympic marathoners have for years been using beet juice as part of their training - because beets and beet juice increase the amount of NO in their systems - prolonging endurance. Describing the function of NO on the heart is what won a Nobel prize for researchers in physiology in 1998. By now the vaso protective properties of NO is well known to the medical community.

Now for those of you in the He-man-woman-haters-club (more likely your 20 something children) who are more prone to be pounding a so called "Energy drink" up the mountain - your bloody fools - or at the very least "you know not what you do". You are with out doubt putting yourselves at risk for a potentially sever adverse cardiovascular events, that's med speak for heart attack or stoke- yes, even in a 20 something, and for sure you are worsening your situation by dehydrating your self with all the caffeine and stimulants at precisely the time when your body really needs to hydrate.

Consider, a different approach. L-Arginine with L-Citrulline will take you further and keep you longer on the mountain and in a pinch, could be used as an effective adjunct to your baby aspirin and that just might be enough to get you to the ER alive and into the Cath-lab or better yet, help prevent it all in the first place.
Sounds legit. I'm gonna start doing what you said and also stop doing what you said. I'm 44 and want to keep on the planet longer and enjoy that time with an active lifestyle.

Glad you made it. My breathing was so bad couple of weeks ago, just got back from Idaho a week before pass out on the floor and started to crap on myself wasnt messing with the ER. Six hours later, I told my wife, Honey call a ambulance.Soon as they arrive check oxygen mid 80s% hooked me up with IV and oxygen rush to hosptal .Oxygen for three days, ct scan, steroids for six days along with.. antobiatics and a blood thinner shot in the gut every 12 hrs for 6 days COVID pneumonia. And no I have not been vacinated. That was on the the 3rd of Nov.still at home recovering and will be at the min. until Dec 6.This COVID is nothing to play with. You all watch yourselfs out there and good hunting.

Last edited:

Valid stuff Doc. The nitro will only help for a gory period of time if experiencing an acute cardio event in combination with other stuff. Lots of supplements using L-A abs L-C in men's "vitality" supplements as well as NO. As you said over th counter and if BP is stable and hit in BP meds or beta blockers pretty safe stuff. My 55 year old buddy survived his first Heart Attack Sunday! He wasn't in the field and he was not in bad shape either. The other thing to remember is this is not isolated to the men and woman have a risk of heart attack similar to us after menopause. CV disease is the number one killer of both men and women for many many years. We all can benefit from a little more awareness. Glad this thread got some attention and conversation started and hope it helps someone make it out the woods alive both figuratively and literally.

I've changed my life style of eating last this last May preparing for out West. Check out Keto-Carnavore diet and Dr.Ken D Berry on U Tube. I don't like to call it a diet, but a life style.