A moron and his uni-throater...

It would be. The bullet profile is what is creating this scenario. Hybrid/ VLD ogive touches at the base of the lead whereas a round nose would contact the beginning. His throat reamer has steeper lead angle that hasn't reached the base of the original lead yet but his bullet in the comparator is still contacting the original base of lead so reading the same. Basically, his factory lead angle is twice as long as the throat reamers lead angle. At least that's what it appears to be.

If a window licker grabbed himself a uni-throater, made a dummy round of his desired cbto/coal, and got medieval on his barrel and throughout the process never got to the point where his freebore has increased at all...what has occurred?

Spoiler Alert: I'm that window licker. I've checked repeatedly with the dummy round and a bullet comparator and nothing has changed. And I'm still a window licker, that didn't change either.
Sometime people attempt to fix things they are not really
If a window licker grabbed himself a uni-throater, made a dummy round of his desired cbto/coal, and got medieval on his barrel and throughout the process never got to the point where his freebore has increased at all...what has occurred?

Spoiler Alert: I'm that window licker. I've checked repeatedly with the dummy round and a bullet comparator and nothing has changed. And I'm still a window licker,

Spoiler Alert: I'm that window licker. I've checked repeatedly with the dummy round and a bullet comparator and nothing has changed. And I'm still a window licker, that didn't change either.
I don't really like saying this..However sometimes people attempt to work on things they are not really qualified to do.And they usually mess it up .In an attempt to save a little bit of money when it would probably been even cheaper to have a Pro do it. Sometimes they get lucky and it comes out just right.I hope it dies in your case.

Last month I got back my 338 Lapua AI a year in the making with 3.900 reamer and unithroater to 3.965 oal 300 Bergers from CNC gunsmith. Proof barrel. Measured with hornady tool just touching the lands are 3.900 not 3.965. But Measured by jamming light tension round lands are 4.100 ! Measured Wheeler method lands are 3.800 Looking at with scope I can clearly see the freebore to the lands at .625.

Soooo….. with long taper bullets, tight bore, worn reamer, and unithroater your lands can be a moving target - up to .200 just by amount of pressure on your gage.

Recent Posts