A MN deer rifle

cva54

need info what cal. do u all think 270 .06 or 7mm looking at 300 yards

Last edited:
For deer at 300 yards, i say either the .270 or .30-06, even then you dont need that much gun for them at that distance. Have you looked at the 7mm-08? Great little cartridge that would be great for deer and low recoiling too.

As shooter had said, you don't "need" that much power at 300 yet. But power is still nice. If you want you can use a 416 rem mag. Lots of guys use a 300 win mag or a 7 rem mag. Anything bigger is definately unecessary IMHO. Where do you hunt? if it is heavily populated you will definately want to stick with a small mag or a standard cartidge. Anything from 25-26, 260, 7-08, 270, 280, 3006.... any will be fine.

thanks iam perty shure my old .06 is shot out about 2 1/2 moa at 100 yards going to make it a 100 y brush gun like i need 1 more think i am going with 270 what do you all know about that marlin
XL7 it sounds good kind of ugly or rebarrle my .06 dont know MORE INPUT

If you like your '06, have it rebarreled and never look back.

Otherwise, choose something you like and go for it. 300yd Whitetail is doable with just about any centerfire rifle.

Do you reload? Do you hunt other big game besides deer? (black bear etc.)

For 300yds and in, the '06 is pretty tough to beat, but the 270Win is just as good, if not better for that role.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.