A Middle Weight Contender

Firecat

I have had an idea rolling around in my head for the last year or so. I would like to put together a middle weight rifle for medium ranges on up to deer sized game. I have rifles in most caliber offerings. Most are heavy hitters for caliber. For example, 7 mm Rem Mag, 25/06, 300 win Mag, 300 RUM. The idea has been for a low recoiling economical round to shoot but still very much able to play at mid range distances. Ranges somewhere around 600 - 900 yards on steel. I would like to be able to shoot deer out to 700 yards or so. I have a few calibers that i keep returning to but would like to hear what you have to say. There are no right or wrong answers here other than to say that whatever caliber I choose will need to have decent barrel life. I would like to build the rifle to have a 24-26 inch barrel in a #4 or 5 contour that is fluted.

Here are a few of the calibers that I have been thinking about.

6mm Rem
6mm Rem Imp
260 Rem
260 Rem Imp
7mm-08
7mm-08 Imp

I have had an idea rolling around in my head for the last year or so. I would like to put together a middle weight rifle for medium ranges on up to deer sized game. I have rifles in most caliber offerings. Most are heavy hitters for caliber. For example, 7 mm Rem Mag, 25/06, 300 win Mag, 300 RUM. The idea has been for a low recoiling economical round to shoot but still very much able to play at mid range distances. Ranges somewhere around 600 - 900 yards on steel. I would like to be able to shoot deer out to 700 yards or so. I have a few calibers that i keep returning to but would like to hear what you have to say. There are no right or wrong answers here other than to say that whatever caliber I choose will need to have decent barrel life. I would like to build the rifle to have a 24-26 inch barrel in a #4 or 5 contour that is fluted.

6mm Rem
6mm Rem Imp
260 Rem
260 Rem Imp
7mm-08
7mm-08 Imp

7mm-08

Why the 7mm-08? Is there something about it that you prefer? What bullet would you choose to go along with it?

I am a huge fan of the .260 remington, but I dont think the 7-08 is any better or worse. You will probably find more factory ammo for a 7mm-08 but both allow you to shoot a 140gr bullet (except the 7 lets you go a bit bigger if you choose) but either of those should be enough for your needs.

I have a 7mm-08, and it's a great cal and capable for what you want. The 260 can push 140gr bullets with a G7 BC of 0.3+ about 100fps faster than the 7mm-08 can push 7mm with G7 BC of 0.3+ But the 7mm has a broader bullet selection. Already having a 7mm-08 I would go with a 260. For deer and gongs I'm not seeing any real advantage of one over the other though.

I would suspect that the 260 will have slightly less recoil. Factory availability of ammo is a non issue since this rifle would never likely see any. The 260 does have Papua brass available though.

I have 2 builds in progress now and when they're done and the gun fund has replenished to a usable level my next one is going to be a "walk around" varmiter in 6mm Rem Improved. There's a possibility it could see some use on pronghorns too but the .25-06 AI that's soon to arrive will probably be king of the hill for them at this household.
I can't give any logical reason for you to chose the 6mm but the ballistics are awesome and all the shooters I know who built or bought a .243 sooner or later say they should have gone 6mm rem. good luck in you're search....

Sounds like a 284 Win is what you need, around 2000-2200 rounds of barrel life, low recoil (rom what i have heard), has lapua brass, is inherintly accurate, can push a 168 grain bullet to 2850 fps, plenty of steam for deer at 700 yards+. Cant go wrong.

Firecat,I have had the same thoughts as you and yesterday I bought a Savage LRH in 6.5x284.Looking forward to hunting the "Missouri Breaks' next year.Paid less than $700.00 for it and going to get a VortexViper 6-20x50 scope.:)

Randy

I'm a 7-08 fan, stick a 162 in it an watch it shine. Also burned out a couple of 6.5-284's. tough choice I like em all:)

I would also throw in the 6.5x47L and with a quick neck down a 6x47L it is some of the toughest Lapua brass you will find. It can hadle some stout loads.

6mm Rem
6mm Rem Imp
260 Rem
260 Rem Imp
7mm-08
7mm-08 Imp
Of those mentioned I'd go with the .260. If you are not just stuck on a short action I'd say .264wm or 7mm Mag are the two most ideal choices followed by the 300wm or 300WSM.

I am not stuck on a Short action. In fact I have a remington 700 long action that has just come available. So this could change a few options. I hadn't considered the 284 winchester but seems viable enough. I also would consider the 264 win mag. does anyone have any experience with a 7mm-08 Improved? I still think that even the 260 with a 130 grain berger is a very hard to beat combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.