A-max? More on the debate..

Wheatgerm

Im not trying to open up another can of worms. I've read alot on here about the amax and hunting with it. Seems most I've read say its great for hunting mid sized or smaller game.... well I hunt elk?

I was watching a hunting show on the outdoor channel (I wish I could remember the name of the show) but they had a hornady rep that was actually promoting the amax as a great hunting bullet because of the poly tip promoting expansion upon impact..
as of right now I shoot bergers and am impressed with them on my elk this year. But I have also killed alot of game with the sst bullets and they perform very well also! Would the amax be like a high BC sst?.

Its got me confused that on hornady websight they say not to use the amax for hunting, then on this show the hornady rep says its a great hunting bullet. What's everyones thoughts on this?

I use the Amax in 22, 6mm, 6.5, and 7mm. All work great. With every gun I've taken deer. Yardage varies with caliber, but 700 yds with a 7mm and it passed through(hole the size of a softball). Yes a 175lb whitetail is not an elk, but to say it's not a hunting bullet I think is wrong.

In past years "Berger" was not a hunting bullet so if I was you I'd use te Amax and make up your own opinion. There is a guy on another forum that does a lot of deer/elk depredation culling and he uses the amax.

I was very leary on the Berger bullets years back. I Personally watched/inspected a number of shots/kills with the Bergers before I made the switch.

The bottom line is a well placed shot IMO. I will always respect another's opinion on calibers, bullets etc., but I will go with my own tested results.

Thanks for the link and opinions. Its good to see something big bodied shot with the a max. I've been looking around and couldn't find much for large game.

I like the bergers and I don't really know if I even want to switch, however if the a max is equally as good with similar BC. Then it would be worth it because of the price difference being almost 20$the per box less..

He stated in that link that he had loaded interlocks for close range? Why would that be? Shouldn't the a max perform the same at short or long range?

If you're going to shoot an elk with amax bullets you need to keep them out of the shoulder bones. These will do best in the ribs only. I've shot coues bucks up to moose with them and the last place you want an amax at any range or speed is heavy bone. Keep them in the ribs and you're fine. Shoulders will make life suck quickly.

These are much more frail than sst's. I have found the sst's to have much higher bc's than advertised. IMO, sst's are still light for elk but much better than amax's.

All that said, I love amax's for hunting medium sized game. They open quickly and reliably but will vaporize on heavy bone.

If you're going to shoot an elk with amax bullets you need to keep them out of the shoulder bones. These will do best in the ribs only. I've shot coues bucks up to moose with them and the last place you want an amax at any range or speed is heavy bone. Keep them in the ribs and you're fine. Shoulders will make life suck quickly.

These are much more frail than sst's. I have found the sst's to have much higher bc's than advertised. IMO, sst's are still light for elk but much better than amax's.

All that said, I love amax's for hunting medium sized game. They open quickly and reliably but will vaporize on heavy bone.

How do they compare to a berger if you hit heavy bone? My 300wsm is my elk gun my 243 is my mule deer gun. I want to shoot the same bullet I practice with. And I would expect the bullet to perform well at 50 yards to 800+ yards.. I don't PLAN on shooting the shoulder but it can happen to the best of us in the right hunting situation..
This bull I shot 2 weeks ago was my first kill with a berger and I was impressed.... however I didn't really get to test the bullet. Both shots punched in the lungs and exited about the size of a 50c piece. But both bullet missed any bone. Ribs and all.

How do they compare to a berger if you hit heavy bone? My 300wsm is my elk gun my 243 is my mule deer gun. I want to shoot the same bullet I practice with. And I would expect the bullet to perform well at 50 yards to 800+ yards.. I don't PLAN on shooting the shoulder but it can happen to the best of us in the right hunting situation..
This bull I shot 2 weeks ago was my first kill with a berger and I was impressed.... however I didn't really get to test the bullet. Both shots punched in the lungs and exited about the size of a 50c piece. But both bullet missed any bone. Ribs and all.

I didn't see were you said which bullet weight you would shoot -i definately go w/the 208 amax.
Up close w/an amax isn't the 'best' idea but i'm sure a 208amax at two feet away fired into the lung area of an elk would kill it -208grs is a lot of mass .
I think you would be happy w/the performance at normal hunting ranges but if you are hunting tight terrain where a shot can [likely] pop up at close range there are many better bullets to choose from.

I've seen more than a few deer killed with a 7WSM and 162 Amax. Seems to do the trick nicely.

I have been using the .308 178gr Amax for the last 2 years. I used it last year on antelope and mule deer. I shoot a .308 Winchester and have found that at the lower velocities (2700 fps) they are excellent.

You can see pics of the deer and entrance/exit wounds here (just scroll down to the post by user jamesmc2)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/amax-big-game-69493/

They provide nice expansion and a devestating wound channel through the vital organs. This year I went on a high desert elk hunt. Lots of open terrain with 300-400yd shots being common. I worked up a "stalking" load with the 180gr Hornady Interlock for shots less than 200yds and stuck with the 178gr Amax for my long range load.

While working into position on a bull about a 1/2 mile away I bumped a nice six point from his bed. He finally stopped at 320 yards. Both hits were quatering away. First entered the lower chest just in front of the heart and exited the neck on the opposite side. This broke ribs going in and out and left a 1.5 inch exit. This round alone would have been fatal as it destroyed several major blood vessels. He was stopped but still standing so I shot again. This second hit was in the high shoulder. It went through the upper scapula (which is only 1/4" thick) and penetrated the both upper lungs. The bullet was found under the hide on the off hand shoulder. Besides the scapula and ribs it had not hit any major bone. I would guess that weight retention was about 50%. In my opinion the bullet did a nice job. For those shooting faster velocities like a 300 WM or RUM I would say go with the 208gr Amax or another heavier built bullet. After three kills I think that for the .308 Win the 165gr or 178gr Amax is a nice hunting bullet. I use it because it is the most accurate bullet out of my gun.

Here is the pic of the elk killed by the 178gr Amax

Attachments

• 6x6%20profile.jpg
    6x6%20profile.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 108
My dad has killed several white tail deer with 162 Amax in his Ruger #1 7mm mag. I know you asked about Elk and I have shot a 5x5 Elk at 60 yards with the 155 Amax high sholder shot he had enough in him to turn down the mountain side a few steps and flip flopped down the side of the Mtn! I also shot a 4x4 muley very close to the same location 2 years later again with the 155 Amax it was running when I shot it at about 40 to 50 yards . Best I remember it was a double lung shot and he ran about 70 yards if that much . He would jump downed aspen and on the other side would look like you poured out a gallon of blood.

Like coyboy mentioned shot placement !
I wouldnt hesitate to use an Amax.

This is all very good info thanks guys. I think they look like a great bullet. I know everyone has tlsaid they aren't good on bone, but I would imagine a 208 gr bullet smashing into front shoulder would carry enough energy to do some massive damage. I think I would be shooting the 208 around 2750-2800 fps.
Atleast this clears up the bullets are good for hunting. Now idk if I should make the jump from berger or not lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.