A-Max in 22-250 - hunting Roedeer

Wet strapped newspapers. Here is a picture:
utgangInngang.jpg

In my experience, the best 22-250 bullet for taking Deer has been a 60gr. Nosler Partition. It will do what you need it to do. Good Shootin'

The 60 gr partition does not go well in my rifle. BTW I´ve been testing the A-max at 300 meters this evening. The bullet perfomance is greater the furter away the target is, It penetrates 13 cm at 100 - 15 cm at 200 and 18-19 cm. at 300.

If I were you I would place a thin sheet of plywood under the first newspaper.

Wet newsprint quite accurately mimics flesh but it does not take account of bone. A thin sheet of ply mimics a rib, a thicker one a shoulder. You may be shocked at the difference. It made a dramatic difference to my tests with my 9.3.

12-13cm on newspaper and the expanded (read fragmented) bullet photos would start to ring alarm bells with me. My roe stalking may be radicaly different but I think about lighter slipperier and even more accurate bullets at the keyboard but end up taking standing shots at bucks next to cover as they browse woodland edges. At this point I think less of fractions of MOA but a whole heap about bullet performance including reliable penetration if I slightly misread the angle.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a heavy tough bullet hunter (90gr 6mm ballistic tip and 100gr 6.5mm ballistic tip for me) but there is a limit beyond which I won't go for (I think)sound reasons.

I dont think the A-Max qualifies as a good hunting bullet in 22-250 either. I would like a bullet that penetrates trough the body of an Roedeer. Compared with the 22 LR shot at point blank, I´m quite convinced that the A-Max will penetrate a roedeer, no matter what the newspaper penetration measures. I´ve also been trying the thinner jacket V-Max at 3-4 mm steel with a board of wood behind. Totally penetrates the steel and smashes the wood big time. So A-Max and a roedeers thin shoulder or ribs will not be a problem. But if I hit heavy bone like the knockles, or shoots frontshot or from other angel than clean broadside, I would have a problem. Clean broadside shots will indeed bring home the bacon, but the damage to the meat will be pretty bad.

So the bullet will be used, if I can not find another better and more solid bullet that matches the accuracy I want. Still searching.... I will like to find a bullet in 50 grs, matching the trajectory to the V-Max/A-Max load as close as possible. Any suggestions?

In my 222rem the 40gr Vmax would penetrate a large steel H section at 10 yards and make a big dent in the next one a few yards away. This bullet would not exit on foxes shot broadside 175yards away!

I have used the 6mm 55gr BT on one occasion and found that the solid base gave respectable penetration.

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Sakovarmint
Just a thought,...Nosler makes a 60 gr. partition and from the looks of the bullet, it may well stabilize. I have a 22-250 A.I. I intend to try them in shortly...just hadn't gotten to it. I know it doesn't have the same B.C. as the A-Max....but I am sure it would be a good game bullet.

Paul

I have run 55grain nosler bt out of my 22-250 on big billy goats out to 500 yards with very good results they may not give the very best results (Im only just adveraging 1/2 inch) ive also run the 60grain sierra match bullets on small deer(under 100lb) at under 200 yards. They acted as solids but the high velocity created enough hydrolic shock to do the business but I will not use match bullets on game again. My i ask how big a roe deer is?

SakoVarmint
I think there are better bullet choices out there than the A-Max for shooting roe deer with a 22-250.As your testing shows Hornady was badly mistaken when they built the A-Max and V-Max bullets and gave there recommendations.Have a good hunt.
Lynn

I´ve just tested the Barnes X 50 grs for accuracy, and it hits about the same spot as the A-Max. So lynn... as for now, Barnes X is my first choice for roedeer.

bx.jpg

Talk about extremes - I hope you get enough expansion! Still your dog looks good so you should not have any problems. Is he a hare hound?

Your season starts on the 10th? Have a good opening day. Over here the rut is going very well with some excellent weather forecast. Thus far I've managed 7 bucks so am well pleased. This morning called a lovely old buck who appeared through the mist. Roe stalking - a sport fit for kings!

Thats the dog of an huntingbuddy of mine. Very nice dog. It´s "Drever", not harehound. I also has a dog, but it´s a "Dachs". She is also approved tracking-dog, so I do believe this will be fine. Here is my dog..
Image-B3A3F211474411D8.jpg

[ 08-02-2004: Message edited by: SakoVarmint ]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.