A little off topic/music choices

goodgrouper

Trying to figure out a little more about personalities here and thought it might be interesting to see what kind of tunes everyone likes. Plus it was getting a little stagnant so let's liven it up a little. Some of the answers will probably be a surprise and some might be no surprise.

Who's going first?

My top 3 bands right now would have to be:
Demon Hunter
Mortal Treason
Underoath.
all would fall into the category of the heaviest metal you have ever heard. All christian, all providing powerful outreach to youth counter-cultures in the world today. The only station brave enough to play them went off the air today. Everybody at 91FM, ill miss you guys. Throw in some Pillar, POD, Third Day and maybe some Todd Agnew, and youve got my daily commute, both ways.

I'll play, GG

My mp3 player would suprise you. Classic rock and country, new rock and country, some old time gospel, a little Louis Armstrong, a whole lot of "red dirt" country (The Great Divide, Mike McClure Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Stony Larue, etc...)and a ton of Southern rock (Skynnard, Daniels, 38 Special, Pure Prairie League, Allman's and so forth). Currently in my pick up CD player are Nugent, **** Yankees, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Alan Jackson and Willie Nelson. Hell, I've even been known to listen to a little jazz every now and then. As you can tell, this country boy listens to a WIDE variety. If I had to pick one, It would have to be......well.......nah, I couldn't do it. I like it all!

I like music but lately the method of arrival is the problem. If I decide to listen to music its fine but I really dislike the kind that's blasted at me without my choice from those little tiny earthquake cars.

I prefer Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and others that actually have words I can hear in the music. That Titanic theme song is near the top of my least favorite list as is any music that shakes the neighborhood and has lyrics similar to a narrated inner city fist fight.

[ QUOTE ]
That Titanic theme song is near the top of my least favorite list

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree... I cringed when I saw the "Near....Far" thread in the longrange hunting forum. As for the earthquake cars... that what the brush gaurd on your front bumper is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Listen to country on the radio most of the time although I refuse to buy it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I'm buying a CD,it'll be some classic rock- Skynyrd,Eagles,Stones and such.7M3 is about the only newer music Ive ever bought.Cannot stand rap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Goodgrouper, I live about 100 miles from Memphis where the Ozarks meet the Delta & this are is a real melting pot, as it was heavy with Gospel, Blues, Country & Rock-a-Billy which was a combo of Country, Rock & Blues. I don't know if you watched Walk the Line where Johnny Cash was touring with Elvis & Jerry Lee but I was a little Kid during the tail end of those events. I also listened to the all Black stations & I love the Blues, Old R&B & Motown. So now I still like some of the Classic Country & only a small amount of New Country, very fond of old rock (especially old R&B), Southern Rock & Blues.
Yes, music was and is a big part of my life.

I'll play....

It all depends on the mood. Sousa Marches get me going. Eye of the tiger is for kicken' butt, a real motivator. Pre Rock & Roll - Carl Perkins kind of stuff... Mix in a bunch of the really good stuff - 1812 Overture etc.

All of this is played with double ear protection and rattles the guts....

The ultimate favorite OOOOOOOOOOO Lord it's hard to be humble

followed by the Redneck national anthem.....

My world recently came to and end when the only classic Rock station around decided that Classic Rock was from the 70's forward. I guess people like me were not spending much money on their advertisers

Any Rock and Roll/ hard rock/ heavy metal/ bubble gum before 1975. Pre Rock and roll if available. Some early C&W

Post 1975 maybe a little Clapton, Santana, etc.

GG,

All of the above with a double ditto on the " if you want to hear me whine play rap "

Also to mention a few , Collective Soul, Evanecence , Gary Moore ( "Still got the blues" album )

Jim B.

[ QUOTE ]
a whole lot of "red dirt" country (The Great Divide, Mike McClure Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Stony Larue, etc...)and a ton of Southern rock (Skynnard, Daniels, 38 Special, Pure Prairie League, Allman's and so forth).

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you've got good taste in tunes. When I was enrolled @ Okie State, I lived w/Jason Boland for a year and worked @ the Wormy Dog Saloon. We constantly had someone from another bands @ the house and I got to meat some interesting characters. Stoney practically lived there, but never paid rent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. A few years ago we chased these guys all over the place!!

You did leave out my favorite Red Dirt band though, RECKLESS KELLY!!!!!! Aslo really like the classic rock. Although I'm only 28, to my ear, almost all music made after 1990 sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Roy

Im from mississippi, what is the redneck national anthem? If I had to guess it would be freebird by skynyrd. I work for ups and for the last 12 yrs. I pass where the plane crash was it's way back in the sticks. I like stp, alice n chains, led zepplen, pink floyd, stained, j. cash, willie, wylon, vh with dave, nickel back, linkin park, and old blue eyes.