A good starter rig?

I have been hooked since I shot my first high power rifle when I was 10. I will keep shooting, and hope to extend the range in which I do it.

Just food for thought. I have done a little reading on the XL7 Marlins. They utilize a lot of the same components as a Savage or Stevens. I have a hunch that if you were to compare and call Marlin you will find that Savage/Stevens aftermarket parts should (the operative word here) work on some portions of the gun (bolt heads, and barrels). Not so sure on the trigger group. The action may fit into a stock designed for Savage/Stevens rifles.

Tank

Last edited:
Although I agree with BB

If you think you need a new rifle I would get a.

Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM

Get it bedded and the trigger adjusted.

Then put an Sightron SIII 6-24 on it.

but that's just me.

+1 for all of this great rifle, round and scope

i had browning abolt$600 nice gun shot great sold it for stevens $300 to customize i love the savage plat form gives you endless options

keep shooting your the future of our sport

Although I agree with BB

If you think you need a new rifle I would get a.

Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM

Get it bedded and the trigger adjusted.

Then put an Sightron SIII 6-24 on it.

but that's just me.

I own this rifle. It is very accurate and a great starting platform.

Tank

The only problem with my 270 is, that it is a new marlin xl7 and there are no stocks, barrels, or triggers out for it, that i have seen. If you have seen any of these please let me know.

I've also thought of building a nice starter rifle. starting with a base model remington 700 sps, in 7mm RUM, 7mm RM, 300 WM, or 300 wsm. Then putting a new barrel on it, having the action blue printed, trigger tuned, and put a bell and carlson medalist stock on it.

The 270 is a capable round at 700 yds, and if that Marlin shoots into 1/2 moa there is nothing wrong with the Marlin either.

You can tune up the Marlin. The stock trigger is just fine when adjusted, and the Marlin can be bedded into a stock originally designed for a Winchester,. The original stock can be steel bedded and reinforced as well.

The point again being...that if it shoots into 1/2 moa it is good to go.

The only limitation with the 270 is the convenient availability of high BC bullets, but at 700 yards, that is not a big deal. There are good LR bullets available, it just takes a little more effort to get a hold of them, but the new Berger 270 bullets should be readily available soon.

A more powerful caliber would gain you some range, but at the cost of recoil, weight and cost. A heavy bullet does the same thing regardless of caliber. A heavy barrel adds weight, but an accurate barrel is accurate regardless of how much it weighs.

If you want to build a custom rifle and have the money and patience for that, I would start with a Surgeon action for the same cost as blueprinting a Remy and shoot the 270 over the course of years it will take to get the new rig together.

For now, I would tune up that rifle a little, and invest in reloading components, good optics and a range finder, and spend the time learning about the effects of wind.

TC

Last edited:
I would go with the Savage Long Range Hunter as previously mentioned in 300 WM. The custom shop could make a 7mm Rem Mag for an extra $75 or so. I would just go with a Bushnell 3200 5-15 or 4200 4-16 for a total cost of around $1,000 and then buy a nice reloading kit, bullets, powders, etc with the money you have saved.

The 270 is a capable round at 700 yds, and if that Marlin shoots into 1/2 moa there is nothing wrong with the Marlin either.

You can tune up the Marlin. The stock trigger is just fine when adjusted, and the Marlin can be bedded into a stock originally designed for a Winchester,. The original stock can be steel bedded and reinforced as well.

I did not know that I could buy a winchester stock and have my marlin bedded to it. Are you sure I can do this because I don't want to spend money on a stock and find out it doesn't work.

Which action would you guys build a rifle around, remington 700, or weatherby vanguard?

Personally I would go with the Savage Target action, but with your choice, I would choose the Vanguard. The reason is that it is a Howa action produced for Weatherby. It is a very solid action and with a good gunsmith can be a very accurate action. The Savage action will allow you to grow into it and build your own rifles. They are easy to head space for changing barrels and it already comes with a competition adjustable trigger. They make sporter actions w/ Detachable mag, and drop plate options in short and long. Just something to think about.

Tank

One thing to keep in mind also is that you can safely load your 270win to **around** 270wsm velicities. Hornady offers a Innerbond 150 gr bullet with a .525 B.C. Im a huge fan of bonded bullets for the style of hunting I do. At the ranges I usually see and shoot the game Im after you just cannot beat a bonded bullet IMO.
I currently load 140gr Accubonds in my 270wsm, and wouldnt hessitate to somke an elk with them out to 5-600yds. Some folks may push that number farther, but thats where Im comfortable with this load on elk size game.
If you choose to go with another rifle thats cool. One can NEVER have enough firearms:D. But dont sell your 270win too short. Its a game getter caliber. Not to mention accurising your current one will help you decide what you want-vs-need to do on your next purchase. Then when you do build, youll have 2 guns that will be accurate and fun that are ''customised'' to you/ by you.

Tank knows his stuff, Id aggree Howa/Vanguard(of the choices listed). But Ive never been a Savage fan. To me, "This aint your fathers Oldsmobile'' and the current Savage vs the old ones doesnt seem any different. Its still an Oldsmobile/or a Savage. But they do have quite a following these days, and theres alot of folks who swear by them. I dont personally know Tank, but after reading a bunch of his posts, I wouldnt doubt that he'd give you good advise, no matter the brand. If Tank likes Savage theres a reason. IMO, Ive never seen Tank steer anyone wrong. And Ive seen him answer and help ALOT of folks with choosing thier next purchase.
To me its a personal preferance thing when I buy a firearm. I like what I like and dont buy what I dont like. Of course when your entire family has owned and shot Winchester for generations, you might be a bit ''bias'' toward what you prefer:D Either way theres alot of great advise being given to you from knowledgable folks with experience. So listen close to what everyone has to say, and then wiegh it out and make your own mind up based on what youve learned, and you wont go wrong. Theres great folks here at L/R/H, and not everyone shoots the same ''brand'' but most all of us love our firearms and know them intimately.
Best of luck with your choice.

I did not know that I could buy a winchester stock and have my marlin bedded to it. Are you sure I can do this because I don't want to spend money on a stock and find out it doesn't work.

The Marlin will not be a drop-in fit to a Winchester stock, but they have been successfully modified to accept them, as can some others, or McMillan can likely inlet one of their patterns for you... but the point I was really trying to make was that since the Marlin is working so well for you in the original stock, why replace it?

My thought was to consider tuning up your current rifle and utilize it to it's full potential, and spend your money acquiring the other important items you will be needing anyway while you are contemplating another rifle.

TC

The only problem with my 270 is, that it is a new marlin xl7 and there are no stocks, barrels, or triggers out for it, that i have seen. If you have seen any of these please let me know.

I've also thought of building a nice starter rifle. starting with a base model remington 700 sps, in 7mm RUM, 7mm RM, 300 WM, or 300 wsm. Then putting a new barrel on it, having the action blue printed, trigger tuned, and put a bell and carlson medalist stock on it.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Rem 700 w/safety

Bell and Carlson

The Rem700SPS is a good platform to start from. Get one in a caliber that you like and shoot it for a while. You never know, you might get one that shoots well right out of the box. Then once you've had some time to digest all the advice people have given you, you can move on to customizing.

I talk the talk and walk the walk.....

My .280 has a bit more than $2k in it...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

Not sure of the investment in the 308....
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Here's what my nephew did with his Rem700SPS in 270.....one day he will probably rebarrel the gun, but for now, it's a shooter with a factory barrel....There's about $1000 invested in this one so far...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

What would you guys recommend for a good scope, I've heard good things about greybull and huskemaw. I'm just wondering if you have any experience with these scopes, they seem to be good quality optics. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

What would you guys recommend for a good scope, I've heard good things about greybull and huskemaw. I'm just wondering if you have any experience with these scopes, they seem to be good quality optics. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

My experience is with Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon and NightForce. I would recommend all of these brands.

Although I have no experience with Greybull and Huskemaw, I've never heard anything bad about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.