• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED A general question about buying and selling

ricknolan

Guys don't take my question wrong but I have always kind of been a student of people behavior and was just wanting to get some insight.

From time to time someone will have an item for sale ranging in price from say $25 to maybe $100 or maybe more as an example. The payment instructions indicate a couple of payment methods like PayPal, or Postal Money Order, etc. The other option is send me your check, but they are going to hold shipping until the check clears. So my question is;

If the buyer is trusting the seller to send the item after they get the money, why is the seller not willing to trust the buyer that his check is good?

It seems to me there is an equal amount of risk from both parties. But in the above example the seller completely eliminates his risk by waiting and puts 100% of the risk on the buyer. The buyer also assumes the risk that the seller has properly described the item, etc.

I am just curious if there are that many bad checks written or if there is just no trust left.

Your input is appreciated.

Rick

You will find in the shooting circles that people are "trusting" but there are always a few.

People with guns only trust people with guns.

I personally would not buy anything from somebody that only had a couple of posts on this site. I want to know his history before I send money. Having said that, I've sent items out to people before the money was even sent. They probably had the item before the money got to me but I trusted them and they found they could trust me.

I'd also tend to be more trusting of a person that I knew had the same gun interests that I do and was someone I'd been around enough, on this or similar sites, to know they were a stand up kinda guy.

I guess if you don't like the conditions of sale, you can discuss it with the seller and if you don't like it, don't buy anything.

I've never been stiffed for any amount of money so maybe it's good judgement or maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I can say there are a handful of guys on this site that I would not hesitate to send money or an item to without having received anything from them, no matter the value, and I'd feel confident that both parties would be happy with the transaction.

Shoot, I keep sending Kirby several thousands of dollars tied up in a gun and trust him to send it back. Sure hope he sends the last one I sent him back to me.:rolleyes:

Its pretty much like ss7mm says.

I only purchase/trade items from those on this forum board and for the most part only those that have been around awhile. That is, enough posts to be able make a reasonably accurate assessment of trustworthiness.

I haven't been burned yet, except when I sold something that I shouldn't have:rolleyes:

ss7mm summed it up well. The good thing about the internet and forums like this is that you can get a good feel for a person from there posts/behavior/etc..

There are a lot of bad checks being written nowadays but, there is still trust so don't give up hope.;)

Just received my 300 RUM from Shawn Carlock today. He called me last friday and told me my gun was finished. New factory Sendero that he bedded, adjusted the trigger, installed a muzzle break, installed a wyatts box, installed a cheek piece and mounted the scope. He shipped it on Friday before he was paid and told what my balance due was so I could send him a check, which I promptly did.

Great guy to deal with, superb service, how could I not do business with him again.

Mike

Well, I guess you get to know folks even though you've never seen their faces. ss7mm and royinidaho that just posted above me, I have no idea who they are, but I would trust them; you know like buying a rifle or a riflescope and sending money to them, not a problem. Kirby Allen, I have sent money and my rifle to him... I was right, I got the rifle back! Don't worry ss7mm you will probably get yours too... LOL :D. Shawn Carlock... I've called him and given him my credit card number... that's trust...LOL... Ah, we just know who to trust. I'm also a trusty kind of guy, I believe in goodness in people though there are times we need to be wise.

Its pretty much like ss7mm says.

he did nail it. I have bopught a ton of stuff fromt his site and a few others. I have sold alot also. I have mailed the items out the same day they said they wanted them. thats 2 or 3 days before funds showed up. I might be to trusting but if they steal from me than thats something they will have to live with.

All in all the shooting world is rather honest.

The short answer as to why it is usually done that way is that the seller can't get his merchandise back if the check/money order never arrives or if the check is bad.

I have done a lot of transactions on the internet on various boards over the years since the boards started up. I have only been burned once......and that was when I shipped the item before I received the payment. It was a board member who, up until that time, had a good reputation. I just wrote it off and moved on. I still deal with folks on the boards on a regular basis.

You have to trust your instincts. If I am very comfortable with the deal I will frequently ship simultaneously.

Bob

Hope I'm sending this to the right member, this is my first attempt at navigating this site. You have a picture of the 7mm AM, how much does it weigh, barrel length etc. I'm currently using a 270 and would like purchase a magnum cal. How do you like the 7mm AMgun)

Honesty

Usually people are honest for the most part but I sent a guy some 10 gauge hulls for some 22-250 brass and bullets at the same time I sent another group of hulls to another guy for some 300 ultra mag and bullets. I got the items from the guy with the 300 stuff but never saw the stuff from the guy with the 22-250 stuff.This is my first burning also out of many deals .So for the most part I would say people are honest.