A ? for 338 GIBBS users

PDRENNER

I have a 338 GIBBS with 26" 1 in 9 twist. With the verious 200gr bullets I get great groups ( about 3/4" or better) at the slower vel. of about 2600 - 2650, that is plenty for the Whitetails. But when I get to the Elk loads (210 N PT. or the 225 N PT) at near max vel the groups open to 1.25" to 1.50". For the life of me I can't get the Elk load groups any better. I have used several powders and IMR 4320 will get me the best groups at 1.25 to 1.50. The 210 Nos PT I start at 2922 fps while the 225 Nos PT starts at 2824 fps. Am I correct, I should be able to get better groups with my hunting loads?
Any thoughts on my problem is appreciated.

AIRBORNE

PDRENNER,

Am I correct, I should be able to get better groups with my hunting loads?

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not trying to be evasive but we really don't have anything to go on here even though you might think you've given us a ton of information. Is the .338 Gibbs you posted the same as those cartridges developed by Rocky Gibbs or is this one something different?

Not all bullets respond the same way to every velocity node. Increasing velocity or decreasing velocity can affect the size and shape of the group. Nothing is automatically assumed. As a disclaimer though, the Nosler Partition has been one of the most consistently accurate bullets in several cartridges I've shot.

I would think that if you are satisfied with the 200 grain loads that you should consider using that combination for elk also. It should yield about 3100 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle with 1,100 ft/lbs at 500 yards. Shot placement is always imperative to these discussions.

If you feel strongly about adding another 25 grains of bullet weight to the equation then maybe you need to work on another node. Or switch primers? Or seating depth? Or some of the other dozen variables in this process.

I've used the 225 gr. Barnes TTSX for a couple of intermediate volume cartridges with very good results. At 2,700 fps you should have nearly 3,700 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. This will result in 1,800 ft/lbs at 500 yards.

I would suggest clearing the board and starting over with good basic loads and work your way up. Remember though, if this is a Rocky Gibbs style cartridge, be very careful with pressure excursions. The 'Improved' shoulder on this type of cartridge does not show signs of increased pressure in stages. It's usually normal until you get a very sticky case extraction.

Enjoy the process!

Thanks for the reply, you may be correct in that the info is not enough to go on, but I appreciate your reply.

I did send reply to the PM I hope it got through as I'm not to sharp on these "putters

My GIBBS is one of Rocky"s designs, and can match any 338 Win Mag factory load with bullets up to 210gr and within 100fps of the best 250gr factory load and without all the extra recoil and blast.

AIRBORNE

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.