A few simple questions

ATH

I set up my new gear and loaded my first rounds today. This led to a few questions.
1) I couldn't get a 300WM case for the SP gauge, so I didn't get one. Instead I seated the first round long, checking it in the chamber, and then screwing the die in a few thousandths more. The rifling seemed to be at 2.0970" OAL (base-to-bearing surface), so I seated the rounds at 2.0960" just to be safe. Sound safe/acceptable?
2) I just neck-sized new cases this time; when it's time to full-size and push the shoulders back, how is this best measured, and how far should I push it back (I have a Lee collet die set).
3) This time I used Winchester brass; I also have a bag of once-fired (in my gun) Remington brass. Is any loading data transferrable across cases, or would I have to work up the load from scratch in each brand of brass?
4) I set up a box to work a load with 200gr Accubonds; I also want to shoot 200gr SMK at as close to the same ballistics as possible. Is any of the knowledge gained from working up one load transferrable to the other, or do I work them up completely independently (including ladder test?).
5) I set up a ladder test with Re22 from 68.6-73.5gr in .3gr increments. What range should I shoot this at?

Thanks for the help...I am eager to shoot my first handloads this weekend (the ladder test). I'm pleased I can load close to the lands and still use the mag in my factory gun...

[ QUOTE ]
I set up my new gear and loaded my first rounds today. This led to a few questions.
1) I couldn't get a 300WM case for the SP gauge, so I didn't get one. Instead I seated the first round long, checking it in the chamber, and then screwing the die in a few thousandths more. The rifling seemed to be at 2.0970" OAL (base-to-bearing surface), so I seated the rounds at 2.0960" just to be safe. Sound safe/acceptable?

<font color="blue">.001 off should be ok depending on amount of powder.</font>

2) I just neck-sized new cases this time; when it's time to full-size and push the shoulders back, how is this best measured, and how far should I push it back (I have a Lee collet die set).

<font color="blue">Ok on the neck size. That's all I ever do. You may 'possibly' not have to push the shoulder back.</font>

3) This time I used Winchester brass; I also have a bag of once-fired (in my gun) Remington brass. Is any loading data transferrable across cases, or would I have to work up the load from scratch in each brand of brass?

<font color="blue">My experience has been that top loads in Winchester cases will show greater pressure signs in Rem. cases. Weigh each and note the difference. The difference translates a difference in case volume.</font>

4) I set up a box to work a load with 200gr Accubonds; I also want to shoot 200gr SMK at as close to the same ballistics as possible. Is any of the knowledge gained from working up one load transferrable to the other, or do I work them up completely independently (including ladder test?).

<font color="blue">I'd say work them up independently due to differences in bearing length etc. However, I'd do a ladder test on only one of them. Then for the other I'd load 3 each 2 tenths of a grain on either side of and one right at your selected first bullet load.</font>

5) I set up a ladder test with Re22 from 68.6-73.5gr in .3gr increments. What range should I shoot this at?

<font color="blue">300 yds w/a chronograph.

PS: I'd also clean 'er good first. Removing all copper etc., then shoot a couple of foulers.</font>

Thanks for the help...I am eager to shoot my first handloads this weekend (the ladder test). I'm pleased I can load close to the lands and still use the mag in my factory gun...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...I loaded .010 off because without a gauge and being inexperienced I was not 100% sure at what length I felt it touching the rifling...so I could be as little as .003-.005 off.

I'll just do the ladder on the Accubonds and do as you say, 3 loadsX3 shots for the SMKs. Maybe I'll set the Remington brass aside for now and keep things simple...

1) If for some some reason you can't get a modified case for the SP OAL gauge, just send them 3 fired cases and they'll make you one. For a small fee, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifI have modified cases for several wildcats.
Bullets loaded .010" off the rifling should be fine, assuming that you've got the measurements correct. However, you may want to check to see what the maximum allowable OAL for the magazine is first. Often you can not get bullets within .010" of the rifling and still have the cartridge fit in the magazine.

2) The rule of thumb for pushing the shoulders back seems to be about .002" from a fired case that is <font color="blue">not already too tight. </font> I have recently purchased a SP Headspace gauge and find that it is easy to use and very helpful when setting shoulders back.

By the way, I normally just neck size too but full length resizing is inevitable unless you use creampuff loads all the time.

3) Assuming that you are not using MAX pressure loads I see no reason why you couldn't try the load in a different case. If loads are MAX then you should reduce charge 5%-10%.

4) Sometimes you get lucky using 2 bullets of the same weight and similar shape. Sometimes you don't.

I tried a ladder test @ 200yds and found that the results were difficult to interpret. Most shooters seem to prefer 300yds or more for ladder testing. I went back to load developing the old fashion way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.