A few questions.

Sniper

First off what is MOA ive seen this a few times on this webpage. Also what would be a good rife to start long range shooting with. I am looking at the 308 because im 14 and dont want alot of kick. Also I was looking at single shots because they are cheaper. What would be a good scope to top it off with? I dont want to go to 1000 yard shooting comps yet just wanted to start around here in the fields at 2 and 300 yards. Dont really want to spend over 350 on the whole thing because I dont know if I like the sport yet.

Sniper don't be discouraged but it might be hard to keep that total under 350.00. I started out with a single shot 22lr squirrel hunting when I was a little younger that you. The 308 is good you might want a parent check the local pawn shops for a deal. I found a Savage in 300WSM with a Simmoms scope at a small gunshop for 425.00 new.
This forum is a lot of fun and educational at the same time. Iwont say it can't be done because someone will find a way to prove me wrong!
wink.gif
Keep you eyes opened and ask questions thats the only way to learn.

It is a measurement. Minute of angle. Degrees mintues and seconds, with MOA we are only concerned with the minutes portion for ranging, bullet drop, and scope values.

When one says "I have a weapon that will shoot 1 moa groups at 100 yards" 1 moa at 100 yards is 1.047 consequently 10.47 inches would be the measurement at 1000 yards.

Most high quality scopes will have a click value of 1/4 moa per click.

Type in Minute of angle on yahoo search engine lots of places out their can explain it a lot better than soemone writing pages here on the subject.

Hey Sniper, just remember, any shooting is good shooting. Try using a scoped 22 long rifle at 200 yards. If you can't hit your target, just try a larger target. Or move in a little closer to the target and practice a little more at closer ranges. Then practice on cleaning the gun properly. Its fun and its cheap. Good luck!
p.s.-the best things to learn 1st are breathing control, and trigger control.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: littletoes ]

hey little thats what I have been doing. You have to get breathing down and then work on trigger. You have to just squeez it and not know when its going to go off. every so often I will load my clip with a few bullets not knowing how many is it it. I will shoot it till the clip runs dry but when I dont have any more bullets in it I dont know that. So the empty one tells me if I am pulling it.

MOA = minute of angle = all shots are within a 1 inch diameter circle at 100 yards.

That's pretty good shooting and with a pretty good rifle if you can do it even mosty of the time. Good hunting.

1 Mil = 1 meter at 1000 meters, There are 3.375 MOA in 1 MIL. there are 21,600 MOA in 360 degrees. A mil = 1/6400 of a circle (There are 6400 mils in 360 degrees)

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: littletoes ]

Little 1 MILlradian = 3.6 in at 100 yards and 36 at 1000. It aint metric cause math is universal. The military uses something like 3283 mil per 360 degres. It will be different in meters cause there are 39.3701 inches per meter. The compass and Artillery guys use 6400 mils per 360 degrees. 1 MOA at 100m = .9573768. 1 mil at 100 m = 3.29 in or 8.3612736 cm at 100 m. 1 mil at 1000 m = 32.9184 in or .83612736 m or 83.612736 cm

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: J Schulze ]

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: J Schulze ]

Sniper, why not go to a local range and see if there are any competative smallbore teams, especially 3p, its alot easier that way. The coaches there usually know what they're doing, and if you can get into a 3 position team you'd be pretty set. Now if you get serious about the sport, go out and get a job to pay for your rifle, ammo, sights(iron sights not scopes), and so on and so forth. Well thats my .02 cents, later.
P.S. Old Navy pays pretty good
grin.gif

You can start out with whatever you want; but the advice you have received on starting in .22 caliber small bore competition or air rifle competition is the best idea. LEARNING THE FUNDAMENTALS OF SHOOTING is what you need to do right now. then once you upgrade to any other rifle, the fundamentals will always be there!

Also, you need to change your "signature" on the bottom of your posts, SOLES should be SOULS. 10-4? Stay interested, READ, READ, READ, AND THEN READ SOME MORE. KNOWLEDGE IS KING. it will also help you be able to separate the bull shitters, from those who have been there and done it, ya know?!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.