A few questions

z71aggie

I am wanting to get into long range shooting and hunting but have some questions.

I'm not looking to shoot competitions or hunt at 1000 yards, mainly I just want to be able to shoot targets and maybe take a deer at long but not extreme range. I am a beginniner so I'm not going to try anything close to 1000.

I dont have the knowledge or money to buy a full custom rifle and I don't reload yet. With that said I am looking at the calibers of .308, .300 wsm, .300 wm, and .300 rum in savage and remington rifles.

Since I don't reload and will be buying a factory rifle what performance is attainable in long range shooting?

Any comments or tips regarding caliber or gun choices or any other tips is appreciated.

Thanks, Dustin

Dustin,

Hands down......get the .308

There is a boatload of factory ammo out there and even the match stuff is no more expensive than the WM, WSM, and RUM. This will allow more practice for the buck.

It will cleanly take deer size game to 500-600 yds with proper bullet choice.

Recoil is marginally to drastically less than the other choices listed enabling you to practice more.

As far as rifles go, I prefer the Savages because you can upgrade yourself at a later date, but any of the big three would do just fine.

Chris

Dustin,

Hands down......get the .308

There is a boatload of factory ammo out there and even the match stuff is no more expensive than the WM, WSM, and RUM. This will allow more practice for the buck.

It will cleanly take deer size game to 500-600 yds with proper bullet choice.

Recoil is marginally to drastically less than the other choices listed enabling you to practice more.

As far as rifles go, I prefer the Savages because you can upgrade yourself at a later date, but any of the big three would do just fine.

Chris

+1....

Minmagman is right on point. The 308 is a great all around cartridge, light on the recoil, readily available ammo by many manufacturers, good selection of rifles by a number of manufacturers. If you ever do plan on reloading which if you hang around long enough the bug will eventually bite you...the 308 is economical, easy to reload and many bullet selections to reload for. I've heard some good reviews on the Remington model 700 SPS and Varmint version...both available in 308 and should probaly be able to pick one up for less than $600. Savage is also another good choice. Although you mentioned that your not going to shoot competition I thought I'd mention it anyways, many folks who shoot competitively shoot 308. Enjoy.

Thanks for the help. I think I will look at getting a .308

Also as far as twist rates go. Savage offers a 12" and a 10" twist rate while Remington has a 10", 12" and 14". If I was to shoot a 150-170 grain load, which would be the best twist rate.

I do know if I put as much time into studying for school here at Texas A&M as I have into trying to decide which gun I want, I would be doing pretty good in class lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I think I will look at getting a .308

Also as far as twist rates go. Savage offers a 12" and a 10" twist rate while Remington has a 10", 12" and 14". If I was to shoot a 150-170 grain load, which would be the best twist rate.

I do know if I put as much time into studying for school here at Texas A&M as I have into trying to decide which gun I want, I would be doing pretty good in class lol.

My 308 has 1:12 twist and shoots the 175VLD just great......

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Rates of twist by gun manufacturer.

308 Winchester 10" twist
Colt; J.C. Higgins 51-L; Mannlicher Shoenauer; Marlin 455; Musketeer; Remington 722, 740, 742, 760, 700, 40-XB, 788, 660, 600, 7400, 7600, Four, Six, Seven; Schultz & Larsen; Ruger; Wichita; Savage 99, 110, 112, 116 (present); Weatherby Vanguard; Steyr SSG-PIV; Thompson/Centre Rifle

308 Winchester 11" twist
Blaser; Sako 75 / 85

308 Winchester 12" twist
Browning 81 BLR, BAR Mark II, A-Bolt II; Colt; FN; High Standard; J.C. Higgins 50, 51, 51-L; Harrington & Richardson 300, 308; Husqvarna; Mossberg 800; Savage 99, 100, 110, 2400; Sako Bolt Action and Lever Action; Winchester 70, 88, 670, 770; Steyr SSG-PI, PII, PIII; Stevens 110, 100; Remington 700, 40-XC.; Springfield Armory M1A

Last edited:
Go with either the 1:10 or 1:12. The 1:12 will stabilize up to 190grn bullet (depending on bullet design). Savage offers some really good rifles for this very situation. Custom accuracy at a production price. You should look at the Mil/LEO line and the 12 series rifles.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 FVSS Best in price and design for starting LR guys IMHO.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM Own one and it is a shooter.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 BVSS Little less expensive with internal mag.

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Long Range Hunter This should be awesome in either caliber.

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FP The most affordable of the Mil/LEO line. They shoot very well for out of the box.

If you can afford to do so, buying an aftermarket stock for any of the synthetics should be considered. This is not just for Savage, but for all lines. Any company that sells a budget varmint/tactical rifle don't use the best stocks they offer. They work and are accurate, but can be improved. The only exception to this suggestion is the Savage 11 Long Range Hunter because it uses the Accu-Stock system.

You may want to look at the Howa M1500 Line with the Hogue Over Molded stocks. Those things shoot lights out after a little trigger tweaking. I am a huge Savage fan, but have used a the Howa in a 25-06. Thing was very accurate.

Hope this helps,
Tank

Liltank, on the 12 VLP DBM the forend almost looks like a beaver tail. I see where you mentioned you have one and was wondering is it a beaver tail or what?

Liltank, on the 12 VLP DBM the forend almost looks like a beaver tail. I see where you mentioned you have one and was wondering is it a beaver tail or what?

It's not a true triangular type beaver tail. It is wider than a normal forearm, maybe more like a tactical type of a forearm. It is about 2.5" wide.

Tank

I like beaver tails, sounds like it is a little similar and at 2.5" wide...that's sweat. I think I'm going to have to go take a look at one. Thanks for responding.

I would say skip the .308 and get a .300 WM or a .300 rum or if your recoil sensitive a 7 rem . .308 is fine for starting out but if money is tight the bigger rounds won't leave you wanting when your ready to step it up and go farther . Plus more kenetic energy in case you don't make a good first round hit will help when shooting at living things.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts