A few questions for 30cal shooters...

Oliveralan

Hey everyone, just got a few questions...

I just bought a new Savage 116 FLHSS in 300 win mag because i had my 308 rebuilt and it is much to heavy to hunt with.

For my .308win, im shooting 208gr a-maxs over 48grains of RL17, im not sure of my velocity because the first chorny i shot it over gave me a velocity of 2850, with a ES in the 40s... i know that chrony was fast, obviously.
Then i fired though another and got a reading of a pretty stable 2610, this is a little slow from what others have been getting, only difference was the load i fired though the first chrony was 20thou off the lands, and ones i fired though the second chrony were just touching the lands. what can i try to bring down my ES? switch primers? i was used once fired neck sized brass, and im pretty **** anal about case prep and weighing charges, so doubt that was the problem.

Second, my fired cases have three ridges on the neck after being fired... i turn my case necks to .012" to clean them up some, since im using winchester brass, the ridges are vetical (along the axis of the case) and about .002" thick and quite wide, you can see them apon visual examination.
What could be causing this?

Thirdly, how can i accurately measure the COAL of my cases? the A-max's tip makes measuring from tip to base reading rather erratic... any ideas without buying a ogive measuring tool?

and finaly, any powder recommendation for my 300 win mag, im in highschool and can't go out and buy 4 different powders to try and then just leave 3 standing around that arent working. What would be ONE to try to start with. Im going back and forth between RL22 and H1000... RL22 is quite temperature sensative and H1000 gives little less velocity i believe.

Sorry for the massive post and thanks for any help!!
Oliver

Second, my fired cases have three ridges on the neck after being fired... i turn my case necks to .012" to clean them up some, since im using winchester brass, the ridges are vetical (along the axis of the case) and about .002" thick and quite wide, you can see them apon visual examination.
What could be causing this?

Are you using a Lee collet die? They will leave four ridges.

If you still have some RL17 I would give that a try. It gave me 200 fps more velocity in the 300 WSM than H4350 and it matched H1000 and Retumbo in the 300 RUM and I have read some good reports with it in the 300 WM. If I had to choose between H1000 and Retumbo off the shelf, I would go with Retumbo. It has always given me a little better result. RL22 is not a consideration for me due to it's temp sensitivity.

Good shooting,

Mark

I would spend the few bucks to buy a measuring tool and measure off of the ogive. It will be money well spent.

Not sure about your velocities. I've heard a change in primers can sometimes help. It could also be lighting variations or shot to shot inconsistencies over the chrono. Have you tried those loads at distance to see how they perform?

Most of my powders are now Hodgdon. Just because of what I have heard and read about temperature stability. I know when I was using RL-22 in the 300 WM, it was an outstanding powder. More recently though, I've used H-1000 and H-4831SC. The H-1000 gave better velocities but the H-4831SC had better accuracy. MTR brings up an interesting point with the RL-17. It seems like a lot of people are talking pretty highly of that powder.

Alright, well I've heard retumbo and H-1000 a lot now... So I think I'll go to the shop and get some retumbo and also try my RL-17 and see how that does. Thanks.

I think I may have to just buy an ogive measuring tool... Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks, like using a .40s&w case to measure the shoulder of a .308win case. I am thinking about trying if a .257 Roberts case might work.

I will definately shoot through a chrono again sometime. Next weekend I will also shoot at 250 and 400yards and see what exbal gives me based on drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.