A dilemma with my hound

YZ-80

Hi all,

I'm just about to move out to my new house, situated on 33 acres of a parceled-out 165 acre farm. I bought the property in 2014. I'm the last to build and have neighbors on both sides that are like-minded hunters and have been cultivating their parcels (about the same size) for deer habitat. We got food plots, soy beans, corn fields, etc., all around us in Ag retention. My problem: my wife and kids couldn't resist getting a hound in 2015 (1/2 beagle, 1/2 boxer) and she's demonstrated that she has a very strong instinct to run deer. I don't think I am going to be able to break her of it when we move out there later this summer. I've discussed giving her up (she is 4) with my wife but her and the kids won't hear of it. I like her too but I fear she is going to really hamper our efforts to cultivate good habitat where deer feel safe on our farm. We all know what a dog in the woods does to disrupt a bow hunt. My wife wants to try an electric fence, but guess what happens when you got a scent hound on one side of an electric fence and a rabbit (or deer) on the other? The hound says the heck with it and takes the hit. At least that's been my experience as a hound owner in the past. Anybody got any suggestions on how I can manage this dog and keep everyone happy?

Grew up with lion dogs. Tritronics is your friend with this if you're around. If you're not around, gonna have to tie her up or fence her in. If you get a shocking collar though, you need to ease into it with a dummy collar and don't hit her any harder than you have to. You can ruin a dog easy with one.

My yellow tried chasing a deer..."once"....the e-collar was on and set to high...he never went again....he looks at them....but doesnt get real interested......

I know some guys with hounds that break their dogs with e-collars. In Idaho they have classes for bird dogs to educate them on rattle snake. The guys that I have talked to said it works. Don't know about deer classes but just a thought. Might be able to you tube something and see if can make something work. I know my dogs won't even look at a rabbit because of the e-collar. Just my two cents have a great night

Thanks for the replies guys. This has been weighing on my mind for a while as we are all really attached to this dog. At the same time, we've gotta keep her from disrupting things out there. She can't help it that she was born to sniff & chase.

The electric fence/collar I mentioned previously was of the Pet-Smart variety, so probably not as effective as the Tri-tronics option. I'll probably give one of those a try along with some fencing, which I'll have to do when we put the pool in anyway.

Tri Tronics WORK! I could cure that dog in a week! Trashy Coon Hounds aren't worth feeding! Make the dog think it's the Deer shocking him not you. Let him get after them good and blast him! Mine works up to a mile.
Start on the lowest setting that makes him stop and look.

My bird dog chased rabbits, sometimes it took half an hour to get her back. I put a good shock collar on her and set it on high, when the first rabbit took off I tried to call her off but she kept on going so I hit her with all it had. If I remember right it kicked out after 6 seconds and I gave her the whole load, nasty I know but for the rest of her life when a rabbit took off she would sit down and not move until it was gone.

Tri Tronics WORK! I could cure that dog in a week! Trashy Coon Hounds aren't worth feeding! Make the dog think it's the Deer shocking him not you. Let him get after them good and blast him! Mine works up to a mile.
Start on the lowest setting that makes him stop and look.
Sounds encouraging. Thanks!

Chain link fence the back yard or do the invisible fence. Also, dogs are animlas just like the deer. They'll eventually get use to each other and ignore one another. We have deer walk along our chain link fence and the dogs run up, they sniff each other, and then both parties go about their merry way. Its funny to watch actually.

When my redbones were about 1 year old, they took after a bunch of deer. Let em run em for about fifty yards and laid into both dogs with their collars. Never chased another deer. Same thing happened with a bunch of antelope. My collars are tri tronic field 90 I believe. Worth the money.

morning, correct me if wrong. there is an electric fence u bury
in the ground. the dog wears a collar that emits an electrical
shock if the animal crosses the buried electric fence, the
collar will emit and electric discharge unit the animal goes
back inside the buried barrier. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.