A Critical Look at the Failure of the Outdoor Media and Modern Hunting Rifles

I think Chuck makes some good points, but that's because I just share some of his opinions on materials of construction and design, as well as the lack of objectivity of the press. I think he misses a fundamental point in his "opinion article". The beauty of our country is that it is a free market system. The products on the market are there because people buy them. If the market wanted high gloss, all steel,nice wood, etc., that's what you would see filling the shelves. Whether its today or 40 years ago, you have a choice. If people don't buy a company's products, they won't make them. When I wa a kid you could buy a Mossberg pump or a Winchester Model 12. Today you can buy a Tikka or you can buy a Cooper. The major change is that the overall performance of the rifles and ammo has advanced.

I shot a bone stock Win model 70 Featherweight 30-06 today that they were claiming was built around '45. It was in great shape and shot WAY better than I expected. The untuned loads were 155g Bergers over H4350 and I don't know velocity and didnt measure the target, but I would put my group at about .7MOA at 100 yds.

It was real nice shooting a buddy's newer Sendero 300RUM also. Fully adjustable McMillan A-5 and Leupy Mark 4. That thing was raining 190g Berger lazers on rocks and steel plates from 700 to 1k all day. Very accurate rifle and a blast to shoot. Too bad they're so pricy.

Without a chrono, the load for the RUM was tuned by group, in the past. We ran it over a chrono today and the ES was 8, SD was 3, velocity wasn't the highest, but avg was 3141.

I still prefer a 112BVSS for looks and feel though. :) Wish I had one chambered in .243AI. You won't catch me with a Tikka or Steyer anytime soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.