A couple questions

Owyheehuntr

I have a couple rifle/scope questions and I figure the collective knowledge here is where I can get some direction.

A little background: I hunt mule deer and elk, occasionally whitetail and antelope, mostly in ID/MT/WY and CO.
I've been reloading for 7+ years, but don't consider myself an expert by any means and am always looking to learn more. My current rifles are a Tikka T3 .270 win, and a Ruger 7mm-08, both factory. Both wear Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x40 scopes. I practice shooting out to what I consider longer range- 600+ yards.

I'd like a longer range (6-700 yd) do it all setup for antelope to elk. Caliber's I am considering: 280 ai, 7mm rem mag, 300 WSM, any others I should look at? Considering Christensen arms Ridgeline, Fierce carbon fury, Seekins Havak etc. But not in love with any of the three I just mentioned. I am starting to think maybe I should have a gun built? I'd like to keep the bare rifle under $4k.

I am guessing I will need a new scope as well. I'd like to keep the reticle as simple as possible- maybe that's not realistic? I am considering: Knightforce/Zeiss/and maybe a higher end Leupold. Would like to keep scope under $2k

I'm open to any and all opinions, thoughts and suggestions...

I am considering: 280 ai, 7mm rem mag, 300 WSM, any others I should look at?

Personally at minimum Id be looking at something in the 30 cal realm that can throw 200gr + pills & still have enough energy @ 700 to put down a decent animal.

300WM, 300 RUM, 300 Norma mag, 30 Nosler...…………………….there are plenty of them

Caliber's I am considering: 280 ai, 7mm rem mag, 300 WSM, any others I should look at?

It sounds to me from your description that, while you want a do-it-all rifle/cartridge, you'd like it in a reasonably weighted package so it can be used readily from antelope to elk. That's hard, as you end up building an elk rifle (heavier). But I like the direction you're going with the cartridges you have suggested. Other short mags would also fit the bill (270 WSM, 7 RSAUM, other similar). If it were me, I would stick somewhere in the realm that you have already chosen.

I have a couple rifle/scope questions and I figure the collective knowledge here is where I can get some direction.

A little background: I hunt mule deer and elk, occasionally whitetail and antelope, mostly in ID/MT/WY and CO.
I've been reloading for 7+ years, but don't consider myself an expert by any means and am always looking to learn more. My current rifles are a Tikka T3 .270 win, and a Ruger 7mm-08, both factory. Both wear Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x40 scopes. I practice shooting out to what I consider longer range- 600+ yards.

I'd like a longer range (6-700 yd) do it all setup for antelope to elk. Caliber's I am considering: 280 ai, 7mm rem mag, 300 WSM, any others I should look at? Considering Christensen arms Ridgeline, Fierce carbon fury, Seekins Havak etc. But not in love with any of the three I just mentioned. I am starting to think maybe I should have a gun built? I'd like to keep the bare rifle under $4k.

I am guessing I will need a new scope as well. I'd like to keep the reticle as simple as possible- maybe that's not realistic? I am considering: Knightforce/Zeiss/and maybe a higher end Leupold. Would like to keep scope under $2k

Your optic will be more important that the rifle you build or buy or even the cartridge you choose. I have the CA BA Tactical and really like it. Mine is a 6.5 PRC - I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk out to 1000 with it based on my numbers at my elevation. I looked at the Seekins havak, Fierce etc. happy with my choice of christensen.

Elk are not made of teflon.
For 700 yards, any of the cartridges you mentioned are plenty with the right bullet. To be honest, out of those 3, for an all-around antelope/deer/elk round, I would go .280AI. I have one, along with a 7RM, and it is 95% of the 7RM @ 80% of the shooting cost, and 75% of the recoil, and 200% the sexiness.
160-180s from 2900-3000.

Elk made not be made out of Teflon but all it takes is a family camping to fart 100 miles away and cause a 3 mph gust you weren't expecting to nail that elk at let's say 800 yards dead in that shoulder plate. You're bullet ought to have enough "momentum" to be able to push through while still wrecking vitals with whatever energy it has left.

How about a 300 PRC . And Leupold VX6 4-24x scope.

Find a used 7mm Mag and call it good...

There was a artical about a fellow in the USA that had one all his life hunting and he never looked back...

From Badgers to Alaskan Moose threw out North America in his hunting years and he's still at it after 50+++ years...

Simple, Frugal and fast...

I had the same thing going with a 30/06 and switched over to a 6.5 A-square,,, I run with the idea if I can't land the bullet where it's needed with a 300 Weatherby,,, it isn't going to bring the critter down fast...

My hunting is Coyotes,,, Wolves,,, Badgers,,, Deer,,, Moose,,, Elk,,, and a few others critters in the mix...

Getting the bullet into the draw works is more important than just tagging them with a bad shot...

Cheers from the North

PS: Sometimes we think we want more gun,,, later on we find out that what we have is more than enough,,, of course none of know this until we try different things for a few years...

I certainly like the Fierce packages already shot to 1000 and you are well within your budget. What's not to like?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.