A Couple Questions for the New Guys in Long Range Shooting

CB11WYO

Hey guys, you who are new to long range shooting, and even those seasoned professionals... Looking to hear some of your answers and view points.

#1- What is it that frustrates you the most about long range shooting, equipment, etc.?

#2- In roughly the next year what is it that you are striving to accomplish in the world of long range?

#3- What do you think you need in order to accomplish #2?

#4- What one technique/strategy/piece of equipment have you tried so far that has worked for you? Likewise... What one technique/strategy/piece of equipment have you tried so far that has not worked for you?

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing your replies and experiences.

-Clint

1) The lack of long range near me (I live in the Denver metro, it's at least an hour in any direction before I can shoot past 100)

2) I'm stalled at ~500-600. I think it's a wind call issue, might be the SMK 168s.

3) More time on the range! (Don't we all)

4a) Kestrel. Didn't have the luxury of knowing long range shooters when I first started, so I was going in off YouTube videos and books. Everything sinks in eventually, but it's hard to learn to read wind off a video or from a book. Though I use the Kestrel less now (it only gives you speed at your firing position, after all) it is nice to have to calibrate my "wind sense" in a given area. Trees tend to be roughly the same size, grass is pretty consistent, so I can figure out how everything looks where I am and then use the Kestrel to baseline my calls for the range.

4b) Nikon LRF 600. It's fine. Reasonably reliable, but not really sufficient range or sensitivity. If I had it to do over, I'd get at least 1k, maybe 1.2k. As it is, the Nikon rarely makes it into the pack. I like it for setting up targets at the range when I can ping off my nice, shiny car. In real-world applications, though, it's just an extra battery muncher.

1) The good smith's general, or custom builders are backed up too far. Not a criticism just a reality.

2) Improving my wind reading/spotter skills.

3) Structured class time, signed up for 1, I hope to add 2 more. In terms of equipment a better range finder.

4) Nightforce ATACR, best purchase ever. Before this I was trying to get by with mid range scopes.

Not so much a failed strategy as a reality. In the past raising my kids took the time, energy, and resources, that I can use pursuing long range. Also, age related is there may well be more shooting opportunities than hunting opportunities in the future.

Lack of a long range near where i live ( close to houston tx) . It is 51/2 hours to south texas where I can shoot to 1,000. I hope to build a range on a friends land 2 hours away this year. I am fortunate in that I have a friend that is a retired benchrest shooter that will chamber and install barrels on my actions. I usually do the stock work, bedding mounts and such. The forums like this have led to a lot of great info on different stocks, actions , barrels and other things. Best buy this year has been a suppressor for the big guns. Takes the sharp noise out and most of the recoil. I cannot see shooting a big rifle with a muzzle brake again.

I get frustrated with the need to buy top dollar equipment.
Mainly my goal is to finish building my new rifle and be confident enough in myself to kill deer out to you yards. I know for some that's nothing but for me it's quite a ahot.
The best piece of equipment I bought this year was a good range finder and upgraded my reloading equipment.

Hey guys, you who are new to long range shooting, and even those seasoned professionals... Looking to hear some of your answers and view points.

#1- What is it that frustrates you the most about long range shooting, equipment, etc.?

#2- In roughly the next year what is it that you are striving to accomplish in the world of long range?

#4- What one technique/strategy/piece of equipment have you tried so far that has worked for you? Likewise... What one technique/strategy/piece of equipment have you tried so far that has not worked for you?

-Clint

#1 frustration is a place to shoot over 400 yds that isn't 100 miles or more away. Not having a place to shoot long near by translates into Rifle/load work up that must be well planned. If something doesn't go as expected it could be weeks or months until the next trip. Once we do get set up, there is equally little practice with the actual rifle. We used to try to minimize the lack of practice by shooting match .22lr at long range for the cartridge but we can't find .22 anymore.

#2 Going to look for a club with a range that is within 4 hours drive where we could plan a monthly weekend trip to the range to practice/ compete in something like F open. Probably will be in central or western PA or WV or VA.

#3 A series of miracles.

#4a Dry firing with tell tales. By that I mean dry firing with a dime on the muzzle without knocking it off. Another item is a ping pong ball on the dime this is a lot harder than just a dime alone.

#4b Magnificently frustrated with VLD bullets. One shooting session we can get them to shoot better than 1/2 MOA and a few times less than 1/4 MOA (that doesn't happen often) The next time out with the same loads won't shoot less the 2 or 3 MOA. When I find some Sierra MK or perhaps a box or two of A-Max We'll try those.

Selection of mass produced projectiles in 277 and 375 cal.

Set up to video all shots.

Extend range to a mile and a half or so.

Better 375 cal projectiles.
MOre Money
More time

Best strategy has been hanging around folks like Broz.
My limiting equipment is the range finder. Every rig I have will outshoot the Leica 1600
Learning that the wind has higher velocity in the center of a canyon with respect to both sides......sometimes....maybe.....every so ofter...

-Clint

1. I think the one thing that is frustrating is the number of people who believe you have to have a custom $4000 rifle to shoot accurately at ranges from 600-1000 yards. I don't find this to be the case.
2. I'd like to develop a good load for the Berger 215 Hybrids for both my 308 and 300wm... Loads that outdo my Berger 168 VLD Hunting bullets, or at least match them.
3. I believe I'll just need some time and perhaps patience, as well as some windless or low wind days.
4. One piece of equipment that I've found that works for me is actually 2 pieces.... The forster ultra dies paired with the lee collet dies. Made a huge difference in accuracy of my rounds. The least effective piece of equipment I purchased last year has to be the Hornady Concentricity tool. It made my reloads more concentric, but after thorough testing, produced no appreciable increase in accuracy at the range. The forester ultras and lee collet dies in the other hand did.

Hey guys thanks for the feedback!!

I get frustrated with the need to buy top dollar equipment....

Oh yeah my wife and budget regularly give me dirty looks lol

1) ...2) Improving my wind reading/spotter skills...

Been hearing that one alot, I agree for sure.

1. I think the one thing that is frustrating is the number of people who believe you have to have a custom $4000 rifle to shoot accurately at ranges from 600-1000 yards. I don't find this to be the case....

I totally agree, pros and cons to each side but I'm on yours lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.