A couple of 6.5x47 Lapua's

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Here are a couple of 6.5x47 Lapua's I built for my brother and I to match up with our 338 Edge twins. They also double as our Tactical Comp guns.

Surgeon SA
Rock M24 Contour, 1-8 twist, fluted, 26"
Manners T-2 with 90% carbon fiber shell
Badger DBM
DE Brake
DE Cheekpiece
Jewell Trigger
NF UL Rings
NF 5.5-22x50 NP-R1

rifles008.jpg

Lawton 7000 SA
Rock M24 Contour, 1-8 twist, fluted, 26"
Manners T-2 with 90% carbon fiber shell
Badger DBM
DE Brake
DE Cheekpiece
R Bros Bolt handle
Jewell Trigger
Awaiting NF
Lawton65007.jpg

Thanks Gamedog,
They actually feel the same and have pretty close ballistics to the Edge out to 1K., and will save a little barrel life on the big 338's.

280fan,

All metal is coated with Gun-Kote and the stock has Duracoat base and Duracoat matte finish clear.

What bullet/powder are you running in them sweet looking rifles? How are they treating you accuracy wise?

eddybo,

We are running the 130 bergers and 130 JLK's through them right now....velocity is just over 3000fps...I have been running Ramshot Hunter and H4350. Either one is very accurate. Jesse is still breaking in his barrel on the Lawton rifle, but mine has around 600 rds through it. I will post up some groups tonight. At 100yds I have some 3-5 shot groups that measure between .352" to around .450" outside to outside measurement. I normally end up with 2 or 3 in the same hole or cutting eachother, then I get excited and pull the last shot. It will definitely shoot 1/2 MOA if I do my part. I also have some 5 and 10 shot groups at 500yds that measure under 2" under windy conditions. I haven't shot this rifle off the bench that much other than to do some chrono work. My last shot fliers could be from me moving while on the bipod ???. I shot some steel targets over the weekend and put around 5 or 6 clips through her at 833 yds....when we went to put the steel away, all shots were in a group size around 5-6". Kinda fun watching the trace drop into the same spot each time.:D Very happy with this little guy so far.

Last edited:
I hear ya on the accuracy of the 6.5x47. While the 6x47 has me by the heart strings the 6.5 kicks butt. I am using reloader 15 and 123s with great results. I saw a buddy of mine who is also a member here shoot an amazing 700 yard group with my 6.5x47. I will not say how small because I wouldn't believe it if I hadnt witnessed it. I will say that I would have been satisfied with 5 of the nine shots he fired at a 300 yard hunter class BR match.

I'm finally going to put some full power loads through this thing today if all goes as planned. We've been running a pretty mild load through her so far for break-in and we know it's not a very consistent/accurate load. This barrel is taking a little patience to get broke in.....which is not really my style:)

eddybo,

I hear ya on the 6x47...I rechambered one of my 243AI's to give it a try. It has a Lilja 1-8 3 groove barrel, and in the Ackley it would tear any bullet apart that wasn't either a 105gr berger or 107 Sierra. The barrel has somewhere around 800 rounds down. Rechambered to the 6x47 cut the barrel to 27", and I got a whole new rifle. I am running the 105 bergers at 3170fps with H4350 and getting very good accuracy. The 115's are right at 3060 and will shoot in one hole. Anyway, here are some groups for ya:

This is kinda the normal group size
65groups006.jpg

Here are a couple of long range ones: 497yds
65groups002.jpg

some load development pics
65groups007.jpg

Here is a group I shot tonight. I tried something that I normally don't do...I weighed the cases and got 5 that were within 1gr, and sorted the JLK's,(which doesn't take much, they are all almost identical), and then made sure they were all seated exactly the same. Here are the results. My best group yet. There are 5 shots in that hole:D:D
65groups001.jpg

Very, very nice.
Did they drop much weight off the big 338's?
I've been contemplating a lighter weight long range puncher than my 338.
Nice shooting!

Thanks guys,

The JLK's are definitely worth their weight in gold....Not much different priced than bergers, just have to wait in line and buy enough to get you through until the next run. If you want to try some let me know and I will send you a handfull.

gamedog,

They are pretty close to the same weight. The Surgeon and lawton actions are both a little heavier than a remington SA, and the different bore size and smaller fluting adds a little weight. I would say that if I took a barrel that was 1.2" for 4" then taper to .900" at 26" and ran the 3/8" fluting and a remington action, it would probably be about 1 to 1 1/2lbs lighter than the 338's. As they sit, the surgeon weighs 13lbs with bipod, and the Lawton should weigh about 12.5-13lbs also with bipod. Not bad though...Our Edges weigh 13.5lbs with bipod.

Very nice. My next build will be a 6.5x47 but right now I am getting the stuff together for a 338 LM. How do you like the Manners stock?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.