A couple from the UK

Varmartin

Hi to all on LRH...

Its been a while since I posted but thought you may like a picture of my two Long Range rifles..
The obvious one is a Sako TRG 22 ( .308win ) with an NXS 5.5-22x56 in Nightforce Ti rings and a stainless Northstar Moderator from AseUtra..Coated mat black..
It loves shooting 155 Amax or 155 Scenar and also the 155.5 Berger over 44 grains of Varget in Lapua brass BR2 primers.
It has a hand made trigger blade crafted from ally bar stock ... I did not like the plastic Sako trigger much any way..

The other rifle started out as a .243win 700 VLS...I had it re barreled in 6mmBR Norma with a 1-8 Krieger tube , fitted a Jewell trigger and had the action blue printed including the fitting of a Dave Kiff ( PT&G ) bolt and speedlock pin/spring assembly it sits in a Bell&Carlson Tac stock. I also had a friend knock up a muzzle brake out of Stainless and had it match the OD of the muzzle. On top sits another NXS in Ken Farrel rings and 20 MOA base.
This rifle shoots 95 Berger VLD`s into a bughole @100 yards @3050 fps.and still groups nice around 2.5 inch @500.
It also likes 75 Vmax @3250 fps over 33.5 grns R15 in lapua brass..and I have taken many rabbits with it out beyond 500 yards..

So here they are ...

4c024820.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg
IMG_2186.jpg

Last edited:
Nice sticks! thanks for the detailed write-up and pics.

One comment on your 308 load. 44 grains of Varget behind a 155 grain bullet? seems a little light. I know guys that shoot 45 grains of varget behind 175 grain bullets. Heck, I've got one buddy that shoots 47 grains of RL17 with 208grain Amax bullets.

Nice sticks! thanks for the detailed write-up and pics.

One comment on your 308 load. 44 grains of Varget behind a 155 grain bullet? seems a little light. I know guys that shoot 45 grains of varget behind 175 grain bullets. Heck, I've got one buddy that shoots 47 grains of RL17 with 208grain Amax bullets.

Hi trebark, of cause you are correct ...44 grains is a light load..
I used to shoot a 7.62 nato single shot Musgrave target rifle that i converted to take a rail and scope..the load i used was so accurate in that rifle i just shot it in the .308win as well, and it is the most consistent load in all weather conditions.
I have not yet bothered to develop a higher velocity round..

Its not the first time I have been questioned on `why such a light load`...
Because the TRG/.308win cartridge is a higher pressure round compared to the 7.62 ... and i have a mountain of N140 at hand..I am in the process of looking for a 1000 yard load.
I am considering a start load of 46 grains of N140 and move up in .2 steps and hope to get around the 2900fps+ , if i can get a load that matches my 44grn/Varget load for accuracy then I will be very happy...

I have also heard about the 208 Amax/R17 combination in a .308win...I am interested to learn what rate of twist tube your friend is running. I also have a tub of R17 and a friend shoots the 208Amax out of his 300winmag, so may try a box ..

Thanks, looking forward to it..

Here are a couple images of my Musgrave 7.62..I purchaced it used in nearly as new condition from a collector here in the UK...and man can it shoot ;)

DSCF1371.jpg
DSCF1368.jpg

This target was shot when weather conditions were favorable , note ..I cant do this every time but im sure the rifle is capable of it ..LOL

After owning it for a while I decided to instal a CG two stage trigger, I dont think the action had been removed from the stock before as there was wood dust in the barrel chanel and the action screws were unmarked..which was kind of nice to see...

I also installed the rail, which was from an RPA...I had to drill and tap 3x extra holes in the action...( very carefully ) It had 2x holes for a Parker hale type rear sight, but only one lined up with the rail, so I used one as an indicator and used the fixing holes in the rail as a guide for the rest ..
When i was ready to fit the scope I set the elevation and windage turrets to centre position. Then bore sighted it and shot a group for a 100 yard zero and found i was only 2 MOA out for windage ( this was a 20 MOA rail )..
So I was very pleased with the job I had done.

IMG_2182.jpg
DSCF1408.jpg

Last edited:
Just got trebark's email.

My current load is actually 48grs of RL17 under a 208 A-max. I have gone up to 48.2grs but accuracy was best right at 48.
I'm shooting a 28" 1-11tw Hart. I'm still messing with the seating depth but so far looking very promising. 208gr pill at 2610fps from a .308win isn't too shabby.

Some other bullets and powders to try for a LR .308win load would be VV-N540, VV-N550, W760, and H4350. As for bullets, try the 190 VLD, 210 VLD, and 208 A-max. The 190 will stabilize in a 1-12tw. Could also try the heavy weight gameking bullets (I think there is one ~200grs) for hunting.

There is another good thread on this site about A-maxs for hunting, specifically heavy-for-caliber ones at slower velocity (like a 208 from a .308).

Hope this helps,
Oliver

if you have any questions or need load data, just shoot me a pm.

Was just so into the .308 load data, forgot to comment on your AWSOME rigs!! You right ganders habe such a sweet selection to choose from!! Also very nice scopes! Wish I could afford glass like that, bet they cost even more over in the UK. Funny how that works, you guys order scopes from the states, and I ordered my Falcon Optics scopes from England...

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for your info ref: the .308 loads...its something I am looking into..
My Sako TRG also has a 1-11 twist tube, but only 26 inches..Im sure to be hard pushed to nudge 2600fps ...we will see .!

The Nightforce NXS series scopes over here retail at £1430.00 for the 5.5-22x56 ( $2236.00 )
It has taken me a long time to get the kit together that I have now, some good deals and some good friends helps a lot ...

Thanks for the `heads up` on the other thread ..

Regards..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.