A cold and snow filled day in Wisconsin

rtv900

So with the kids off to school I headed out into the field. I figured today would be a great day to hunt. Yesterday I was out hunting deer with my muzzleloader. When we started it was 5 below zero. It warmed to 11 degrees. Cold Cold Cold. I figured today they yotes would be hungry. When it is cold the need more food. So I thought.

Today I spent six hours calling yotes. I went from stand to stand. I was on the edge of driving myself nuts. On Sunday I saw five yotes while deer hunting. What happened today? I was about to give up on this yote thing. I had enough. As I was leaving my last stand to go home I noticed something moving in the grass about 150 yards out. I sat down on the side of the hill I was on and waited. Nothing for five minutes. I figured I would give a little call and see what happened. So I did and nothing. I was going to give one more blast before leaving and as I grabbed the call the yote came over a small hump 30 yards away. It was coming full speed. I dropped my call and grabbed the shotgun (I carried a rifle and shotgun all day). That yote turned on a dime and ran so fast I thought the snow covered grass was going to start on fire. He was making a run for the next county. Down the hump he went. I did not even have a chance to get the safety off. I grabbed my rifle and ran to the hump on the hill. That yote was at darn near 100 yards already. I shot and placed a 243 just behind him. I did some calling and barking while loading again. At 150 I put one just in front of him. I loaded again. I took my time and barked agian. He stopped, I shot and put one right to the left of him. I was so close I think I shaved his fur. He took off again. He went through some brush. I called and called. He decided to show his face again at 380 yards (I ranged him). I got the rifle in place and sent yet another 243 in his direction. He was broad side and I was ready to put him down. The bullet went over his back or maybe under his belly. Best I could tell it was close. Not close enough to count though.

Now I had to reload the mag. and the yote was burning a trail out of town. That was the last I saw of him.

Did I say I was tired of this yote thing?? I meant to say I can't wait to get out there tomorrow. How a little pull of the trigger can make the day - even if it was a miss. Hope I can get the kids to school early tomorrow so I can get back at it.

Today was another long day. Not to cold so that was good. I went to 8 stands today and I saw nothing. I figured with the 4+ inches of new snow and cold weather would have made the coyotes come out.

Tomorrow is another day. I am hunting yotes until Sunday. What a great week.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.