a cause for horizontal stringing

splattermatic

i was shooting yesterday, and noticed the guy down the lines groups were stringing horizontaly.
what could be causing this ?
bedding ?
his gun is pillar and glass bedded ???
gun needs to settle into stock after being taken apart ??

their could be several reasons , if his stock has a contact point near the end and the gun is not being place in the front rest the same each time that will have an adverse effect on accuracy. It could be his bedding , just because a gun has been glass and piller bedded doesn't meen squat if it wasen't done right , he could have an action screw thats making contact in the piller the torque may not be even due to the piller being to short. Their are several reasons for poor grouping , alot of guys want to point fingers at the gun for poor shooting and alot of times their a loose nut behind the trigger (the shooter) I know that I have built a few guns and like just about everyother good builder out their I'll guarntee my guns to shoot in the 1/2" range with me at the trigger , I can't build a gun that'll shoot great if the owner has **** poor shooting form. The guy could be choaking his gun one shot and letting it free recoil the next his cheeek weld maybe differant from shot to shot. What caliber is this gun if its a mag that kicks had he could have a flintch.

My first reaction to problems like this is to look at the stock to action fit and the barrel to stock fit, if thats all sound then the problem may be else where.

[ QUOTE ]
i was shooting yesterday, and noticed the guy down the lines groups were stringing horizontaly.
what could be causing this ?
bedding ?
his gun is pillar and glass bedded ???
gun needs to settle into stock after being taken apart ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the nut behind the trigger.

James

looking at his group, the 4 shots i looked at were in almost a perfect horizontal line no more than a 1/2" vertical, but it printed one shot 3/4 of an inch left of center, then 1/2" right of center, then the 3rd shot almost went thru the same hole of the second shot, then the 4th was about 1/2" left of center just a thin strip of paper between it and the 1st shot.
he was shooting off a bipod and rear sand bags, i know the guy and he shoots very well.
it was a new remington 700 in 300 rum.
he was shooting reloads of 98 grains reloader 25 and oal was at mag length, with 180 gr nab's, new brass, and fed 215 primers.
we chatted for a bit, and i told him i had a virigin 300 rum also, and i haven't shot it much and was going to used sst's...
is the bipod to blame ?
he wanted to shoot it like field conditions, when hunting, so hence the bipod he uses all the time.
it's in a laminated stock, free floated barrel and pillar, and glass beded action.
trigger was about 3 lbs., best i could judge from trying it, i was thinking maybe trigger jerk.
he said he has about 30 rounds, down the tube, and broke it in properly, but this is the first groups for accuracy he's tried.

As was said he may be trying to hold the gun too tight and to compound that he may also be very light on the cheek peice to avoid kissing the scope and getting horizontal parallax. In other words it is often advisable to look in the mirror and say "Hello, Wimp" and stick to low recoiling guns.

assuming that the fella knows how to shoot, the wind wasn't enough to make that difference and there are no bedding problems, I'd suggest the following.

Be careful of the sign language here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've noticed that with the last several rifles I've tuned loads for that when it strings verticle (|) Increase the powder a couple of steps to see if the group switches to Horzontal (-). If not go the other way with the powder charge.

Once those two points are found then somewhere about half way between, velocity wise, you shout get a group.(*).

I've done this after ladder and OCW tests and seems to be stable across a fairly large ambient temperature spread.

This is a recent discovery and am wondering if it may be a 'false' node kind of thing. But so far, so good.

[ QUOTE ]
assuming that the fella knows how to shoot, the wind wasn't enough to make that difference and there are no bedding problems, I'd suggest the following.

Be careful of the sign language here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've noticed that with the last several rifles I've tuned loads for that when it strings verticle (|) Increase the powder a couple of steps to see if the group switches to Horzontal (-). If not go the other way with the powder charge.

Once those two points are found then somewhere about half way between, velocity wise, you shout get a group.(*).

I've done this after ladder and OCW tests and seems to be stable across a fairly large ambient temperature spread.

This is a recent discovery and am wondering if it may be a 'false' node kind of thing. But so far, so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuning seating depth and/or neck tension works as well.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.