A brute from way back

Man! had it all....mass, tine height, spread, and forks and stickers. majority of whitetail hunters go a lifetime and don't see one to shoot like that. I grew up with little money and mounts were an impossibility as well, I did however keep the skull plates intact and mounted them on a simple horn plaque to preserve and display. Had a mentor up north that bought up racks for little in the fifties and sixties and when the big antler boys came around after his collection filled two U-hauls years later some like the hole in the horn and state record bucks brought many thousands. Thanks for posting :)

One of his coolest features is the tips of his main beams kinda bell out. Tip out and down. Nearest I could figure was that they were so long, he'd broom the ground while in velvet and rub the ends off, out and down.

Awesome buck - amazing mass, circumferences, tine length and a lot of character! Not sure I've seen one like it where both main beams dip down in front.

Do you know if it was this shot in North Idaho? GPS coords? Lol

Thanks for sharing!

I've set foot on the spot he was shot..... last group of guys who got directions ( very specific)from me on location, had one long day.....

Edited to add: directions, while very specific, may or may not have led a group of guys to a spot known to be extremely difficult terrain in and out.... bordering a lake that doesn't exist....

Last edited:
I've got a mount from the fifties of an unusual buck with smaller horns than your's about 170" and it hung in an abandoned old hunting camp up north of here. I was surprised nobody stole it or messed with it for years. I left it mounted on the wood form with the horns blackened from decades of wood smoke and time. Took a while to find the old owner of the camp on leased land and he sold it for $50.
Leo Rosebush Buck.jpg

One of his coolest features is the tips of his main beams kinda bell out. Tip out and down. Nearest I could figure was that they were so long, he'd broom the ground while in velvet and rub the ends off, out and down.
Outstanding!

I've got a mount from the fifties of an unusual buck with smaller horns than your's about 170" and it hung in an abandoned old hunting camp up north of here. I was surprised nobody stole it or messed with it for years. I left it mounted on the wood form with the horns blackened from decades of wood smoke and time. Took a while to find the old owner of the camp on leased land and he sold it for $50.View attachment 200504
He's cool!

Here's some Ohio deer,two i've taken,one recently 2019 bow season,just my hand in pic,one in pickup 10 years ago,and two caught on trail cam,but never seen again.
deer.jpg
deer1.jpg
waynes.jpg
mines.jpg

Beautiful and heartfelt, I'm kinda in between old geezer and young whipper snapper, all smart ***, so I'm trying to come up with an artful response to the taxidermist comment. So far, I'm in between something that's not really THAT funny and one that'll get this thread closed.... both in regards to the last time someone TRIED to mount me.....
Was that an Idaho buck?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.