A Bizarre Moment in Coyote Hunting

No, I got your point. Just don't agree with hugging it out over coyotes. I've observed them killing livestock, my pets, deer, fawns being born, and canibalizing their own. I hunt and go outdoors to see the things most humans don't appreciate these days. Actually I mainly go to avoid humans all together. But if it makes you feel better, no I don't kill everything I see I even let coyotes be coyotes. Unless they're on my lease and then they get regulated, because it's the property owner's rule.

No, I got your point. Just don't agree with hugging it out over coyotes. I've observed them killing livestock, my pets, deer, fawns being born, and canibalizing their own. I hunt and go outdoors to see the things most humans don't appreciate these days. Actually I mainly go to avoid humans all together. But if it makes you feel better, no I don't kill everything I see I even let coyotes be coyotes. Unless they're on my lease and then they get regulated, because it's the property owner's rule.
No you didn't get my point. I'm willing to wager I've killed more coyotes than you, and for the same reasons. However, think about it. They aren't doing anything wrong. There is no malice in their actions. We should eradicate sharks too in this mentality then.

You ever seen a coyote stand it's ground on you at 50-80yds, barking at you? I haven't, so I told the story and what I felt at the time.

BFD Guns , I did predator control work for close to 40 years and hunted , trapped and called for over 40 years . I understand what it is that you are saying as I have done the same . I often just studied the predators in areas where they weren't killing livestock for a couple of reasons first was to learn about them and their ways , second was that I have seen coyote killed that weren't bothering livestock be replaced by coyote that killed livestock . I would say you did ok by what you did . They will come back in the mornings and locate their pups as you described and at times it takes several minutes of them talking to find them . I wouldn't know this if I had killed the coyote doing it every time that I witnessed them doing it instead of taking the time to let them teach me something about the way and why of what they were doing . So then when it became necessary for me to take coyote that were killing livestock that had pups I had another tool in my kit to use to do that . We mostly live in a part of the world where we don't have to all think and act the same as every one else even the president of the Great United States is welcome to act a fool and show his back side when and if he so chooses to .

but just taking oneself out of the moment and appreciating all life. It's rather existential, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.
LOL. Existentialism would be present in all three phases, wondering what mama was doing, appreciating the beauty of the moment, dispatching all three on the spot. Some can switch gears just like that. Kind of like a logger dropping a tree - never met one who didn't love the trees, wildlife and forests.

You ever seen a coyote stand it's ground on you at 50-80yds, barking at you?
I had one stare me down in my front yard. Can't shoot within the UGB in my town, but I have acquaintances with cans who do.

The Brandon "I did that" stickers inspired me to print ones like this, to put on "Missing Cat" posters I see around town:

1638418365659.png

P7M13; Now that is funny. Back 60-70 years ago, in my younger years supposedly missing cats wound up in Chinese restaurants. At least that was the "rumor". We called them Alley Antelope.
Carl L.

In my area of town they were the victims of the older lady that raised flowers she never did understand why people let their cats run at night and crap in her flower beds instead of being responsible pet owners and keeping them at home . She was brought up that if your dog decided to start running you shot it on it's way home as you did with your cats and that was one of the ways you showed respect for your neighbors . Over the years of doing predator control work some of the worst torn up livestock I saw was due to dogs . Dogs will tear into and kill several sheep , lambs or calves in a short amount of time . I have needed to kill several dogs over the years due to them being allowed to run , not trained by their owners or just dumped by the people that no longer wanted them .

Last edited:
I agree 100% with your post. In my area abandoned dogs will sometimes pack up. Thousands of sheep are wintered in this area. They seem to kill for the fun of it, if such a term exists for the canines. These "homeless" dogs also often do/did not normally have a fear of humans. This can lead to some very bad situations. I have called in packs of 3 to 7 dogs over the years while calling predators. Normally seeing what a 10ga does to a couple of their companions puts the spook on the rest of the group. This is a good thing as I normally carry 3 shells in the Browning and 2 in my pocket.
Carl L.

Last edited:
So I must offer an apology. I think also why I got flak for the post. The title reads, "while coyote hunting". Correction, I was on a hog hunt trip out of state. So coyotes weren't exactly priority. Targets of opportunity if I'm not gonna spook the hogs.

So I must offer an apology. I think also why I got flak for the post. The title reads, "while coyote hunting". Correction, I was on a hog hunt trip out of state. So coyotes weren't exactly priority. Targets of opportunity if I'm not gonna spook the hogs.
OO BFD you are just apologizing for not shooting the mother and babies. DON'T.
Stick with your story. If some has a problem with it "F**K it
Stop bowing down. It is what it is. Read my post. F**k most of these guys have now idea what it is to look into the eyes of someone (animal correct myself) and see the eyes looking into yours's, but you are at hundreds + yards away -they cant see your eyes. Then squeeze the trigger.
Hey predator control is fine. Don't knock any of us for not taking the shot. Maybe some of us just like to see nature in it's purest form.
Semper FI
Len

OO BFD you are just apologizing for not shooting the mother and babies. DON'T.
Stick with your story. If some has a problem with it "F**K it
Stop bowing down. It is what it is. Read my post. F**k most of these guys have now idea what it is to look into the eyes of someone (animal correct myself) and see the eyes looking into yours's, but you are at hundreds + yards away -they cant see your eyes. Then squeeze the trigger.
Hey predator control is fine. Don't knock any of us for not taking the shot. Maybe some of us just like to see nature in it's purest form.
Semper FI
Len
Oh I'm not apologizing at all for not shooting. It's just the title typo that I think threw some people. Just trying to understand the pushback on this.

I bow to nobody! Semper Fidelis!

Guys I love to enjoy nature and watch all the wildlife. If someone does not want to kill a coyote that is their choice, just as if I choose to kill them is mine. Predators are hardwired to hunt and kill, but I don't have to make it easy for them around the livestock or pets.
Taking the life of any animal isn't something that I take lightly and we own what we hunt a quick, clean kill. I don't like to see anything suffer, including livestock and pets.
I am not knocking those that choose not to hunt or kill but on the other hand I don't feel others should be upset for my choice to hunt.
I didn't see where anyone asked or said anyone else should "bow" to another. This thread was in a coyote hunting thread and not a nature watching thread last I looked.

Guys I love to enjoy nature and watch all the wildlife. If someone does not want to kill a coyote that is their choice, just as if I choose to kill them is mine. Predators are hardwired to hunt and kill, but I don't have to make it easy for them around the livestock or pets.
Taking the life of any animal isn't something that I take lightly and we own what we hunt a quick, clean kill. I don't like to see anything suffer, including livestock and pets.
I am not knocking those that choose not to hunt or kill but on the other hand I don't feel others should be upset for my choice to hunt.
I didn't see where anyone asked or said anyone else should "bow" to another. This thread was in a coyote hunting thread and not a nature watching thread last I looked.
At least you read iT!
Thanks

Recent Posts