A Bizarre Moment in Coyote Hunting

I think I got censored for saying bad words about Illinois. Sorry Illinois.
Wrong again, you got censored because your inner child got the best of you. Where's the pics of your coyote kills, Brah? Really though, my original post wasn't about coyote hunting per se, but just taking oneself out of the moment and appreciating all life. It's rather existential, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Strong opinions fly around coyotes more than most potential quarry. I don't think I'd shoot a mother with little ones around in any species (except flippin' magpies! Take the whole lot of them out but birds aren't the same to me haha). It goes against something in me that I'm not willing to ignore. But I also grew up on a cattle farm, my sister has chickens and sheep, I sure as heck wouldn't judge anyone in those positions for doing what is necessary for their livelihood.
I spent my high school days shooting coyotes around the cattle farms. I took a 5yr hiatus and returned home to pick up where I left off, but this time I really knew how to shoot! Each winter is a load of fun shooting yotes. I told one story, while hog hunting, about quite an experience in my life about an unusual coyote encounter, and the egocentric simple minds just get stupid. I'm willing to wager I've shot more coyotes than the those giving me crap about letting 3 go that day. I didn't let them go the 3 following days.

I have hunted coyotes for years with both mouth and electronic calls, even trapped them for a few years. They are one animal that I love/hate. I cannot help but admire what a beautiful, skilled predator that they are. I hate when they get the livestock so there has been a war declared on them.

On our farm I shoot on average, probably a half dozen every year from the deck or yard. So far this year I have killed and recovered 9 with 4 that I did not recover. That does not include what my hunting partner and I kill while calling them.

I think I read one time that they will have on average 6 pups per liter. one article stated that a coyote could pick out where a sound came from within 25 feet, one quarter mile away. If you have hunted coyotes much you have seen how they play the wind and what keen sense of smell they have. If we shoot several it seems like the void is filled overnight.

No matter how a person feels about coyotes, we have to remember they are a predator. They are hardwired to hunt and kill what is an easy meal. We owe all the animals we hunt a quick, clean kill. Now get out there and hunt some coyotes!!

Last summer, in NW TX, my buddy and I were walking out to our spots to shoot hogs. On the way a coyote female ran out of the fence line in front of us about 80yds. She was barking and howling, looking at us and to her right periodically, while standing her ground. 730am. I looked at my buddy and was like WHAT! We stood there questioning the behavior. Rabies? Then I thought, maybe she's got pups? After a couple minutes watching this display, two pups came running out to her. Cute little things too. Pups were jumping around her and she licked one of them on the nose. The 3 of them then milled about for 10 seconds and trotted off. We didn't shoot because it was a cool and an unusual moment. I've learned not everything needs a reaction. Interaction with wildlife not always end in death. Ying & Yang.

Has anybody ever witnessed this type of coyote behavior?
I'm with you, wonderful to explore nature. If I don't need the skin or meat then off to the range to shoot paper targets.

My group leases 5000+acres of a cattle ranch to hunt for the past 7 years. The first year we hunted mule deer we saw coyotes everywhere and they were in packs of 4-6. We actually saw them kill adult deer. The rancher told us he was losing several calves a year to yotes. We killed a few the first year then we started hunting them hard. Now we average about 30 yotes a year, never see packs of em, and have a lot more deer and fawns making it thru fall. The rancher loves us and rarely loses a calf to them now. We kill everyone we see just to keep their numbers in check. They are cockroaches

Last summer, in NW TX, my buddy and I were walking out to our spots to shoot hogs. On the way a coyote female ran out of the fence line in front of us about 80yds. She was barking and howling, looking at us and to her right periodically, while standing her ground. 730am. I looked at my buddy and was like WHAT! We stood there questioning the behavior. Rabies? Then I thought, maybe she's got pups? After a couple minutes watching this display, two pups came running out to her. Cute little things too. Pups were jumping around her and she licked one of them on the nose. The 3 of them then milled about for 10 seconds and trotted off. We didn't shoot because it was a cool and an unusual moment. I've learned not everything needs a reaction. Interaction with wildlife not always end in death. Ying & Yang.

Has anybody ever witnessed this type of coyote behavior?
After seeing you, I wondered if there was any good? Just jashin.

Not sure if god said that or that little tidbit was thrown in, by one of the multitude of writers of what is now called now the bible.

Not sure if god said that or that little tidbit was thrown in, by one of the multitude of writers of what is now called now the bible.
It seems that God also gave man dominion over man.

I think that it is pretty sad when someone shares a story about observing wildlife and didn't kill it just because it was a "Predator". yes, there is a "Balance" in nature and Predators are taking over in a lot of areas. I guess when all the predators are gone then something else will kill animal populations. Prairie Dog towns wiped out in many areas from over population, Deer with CW. Livestock is a different story because they are raised and controlled by man.
I have hunted for food and sport. I just can't see killing just to kill.
I have been a very avid shooter besides getting meat for the table. Coyotes, PD, Chucks. I think that if you are lucky to see some animas in their environment and how they react, it is a truly a blessing. People and regular hunters rarely get that opportunity like that of "Predator Hunters" Predator Hunters by far see more of what goes on in nature than anyone else because of skill and stealth.
Myself sometimes I just want to watch nature and feel privileged to do so. I don't need to kill everything I put cross hairs on.

Last edited:
I think that it pretty sad when someone shares a story about observing wildlife and didn't kill it just because it was a "Predator". yes, there is a "Balance" in nature and Predators are taking over in a lot of areas. I guess when all the predators are gone then something else will kill animal populations. Prairie Dog towns wiped out in many areas from over population, Deer with CW. Livestock is a different story because they are raised and controlled by man.
I have hunted for food and sport. I just can't see killing just to kill.
I have been a very avid shooter besides getting meat for the table. Coyotes, PD, Chucks. I think that if you are lucky to see some animas in their environment and how they react, it is a truly a blessing. People and regular hunters rarely get that opportunity like that of "Predator Hunters" Predator Hunters by far see more of what goes on in nature than anyone else because of skill and stealth.
Myself sometimes I just want to watch nature and feel privileged to do so. I don't need to kill everything I put cross hairs on.
Thanks Coyote, bunch of one tracked mind, simple fellers on here. Probably think the stars are pin holes in the dark blanket.

I prefer to keep their numbers down so they act like the scavengers they are. When they pack up they're the apex predators where I hunt. I prefer to be the apex predator.

Recent Posts