A Bizarre Moment in Coyote Hunting

DoneNOut

Last summer, in NW TX, my buddy and I were walking out to our spots to shoot hogs. On the way a coyote female ran out of the fence line in front of us about 80yds. She was barking and howling, looking at us and to her right periodically, while standing her ground. 730am. I looked at my buddy and was like WHAT! We stood there questioning the behavior. Rabies? Then I thought, maybe she's got pups? After a couple minutes watching this display, two pups came running out to her. Cute little things too. Pups were jumping around her and she licked one of them on the nose. The 3 of them then milled about for 10 seconds and trotted off. We didn't shoot because it was a cool and an unusual moment. I've learned not everything needs a reaction. Interaction with wildlife not always end in death. Ying & Yang.

Has anybody ever witnessed this type of coyote behavior?

Yes in my area the female coyote will often come back in the mornings , after the pups are out of the den hole and camping out in draws or the sage brush, and give two short howls and two barks to gather the pups up for the day . They will most of the time answer her then they will meet up and go bed down for the day . Like ducklings they will then follow the parents to where they want to bed down .

I guess I don't feel so warm and fuzzy when one of my calves has his face eaten when he is still alive.
I will kill any coyote I come across, does not matter if I am deer hunting, feeding cows or sitting on the deck in the morning having my coffee. I actually had the face half eaten off of a calf before the heifer could finish calving. Coyotes are a beautiful, intelligent predator, with a keen sense of smell, vision and hearing but they will kill your stock or your pet when given the opportunity.

I will kill any coyote I come across, does not matter if I am deer hunting, feeding cows or sitting on the deck in the morning having my coffee. I actually had the face half eaten off of a calf before the heifer could finish calving. Coyotes are a beautiful, intelligent predator, with a keen sense of smell, vision and hearing but they will kill your stock or your pet when given the opportunity.
Our tax dollars actually paid to "import", (more of) them in here a few years ago! (We, of course, already had them) I have several close friends who have lost several calves to them. The injuries that they inflict to cattle, that they don't kill, is awful as well.
That era when we were being "given" these coyotes was also the same time that copperhead & rattler populations were being "shored-up", (whether you wanted them or not).
I don't hate coyotes. Like buzzards they offer an excellent "clean-up" detail but folks need to realize that hunting them is NOT apt to destroy their populations. Like most hunting - it simply keeps them in check. (There are always more of them out there than they estimate) Heck, I'll admit that at night when a siren passes on the distant interstate it pleases me to hear them howl...far away. JMO