A big boy ,shown here.

Dog wolf cross's in captive wolf and for a while it was a fad in Co. to have dog coyote cross coydogs then people found out they couldn't trust them . Wonder how they got loose .

During the early to mid-1990's , at the same time that the wolf was being re-introduced , and stocked into Yellowstone NP , numerous magazines , newspapers , and internet sites had classified advertisements that had puppies for sale that were listed to be 90% wolf-10% German shepherd , which these breeders said was the highest percentage of wolf / dog cross-breeding allowed by governmental regulations .
I remember seeing these classified for-sale ads in the back of several hunting and shooting magazines during those years .
Some of these 90% wolf puppies were being purchased and raised , wild in large enclosures , by animal-rights/anti-hunting activist groups that would later release pairs of these animals into wild areas that were away from the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem . If and when they were sighted or killed , they looked exactly like the Grey Wolf species which was listed on the endangered species list , the animal-rights activists would file a lawsuit in Federal courts to try and stop all hunting in the NEW areas that these counterfeit wolves had been introduced into . Luckily their plans did not work .
I do not have the old magazines and newspapers for documentation of proof as to my story , only the memory of seeing and reading about the happenings that I have described , that occurred about 25 years ago .

DMP25-06

What you are seeing is called a Coywolf. There was a special on NPR that traced the whole story. They originated in Canada's Laurentian park where for some reasons wolves bred with coyotes rather than killing them. Since then they have spread all across to the Miss. river with several large packs living in urban areas including Chicago. Chicago's were featured in the show. They were very smart and even using bridges to move from dens to hunting areas.

The air crew picked up a 110 lb hybrid male last week about 30 miles from Douglas Wy . They are expanding their area .

The air crew picked up a 110 lb hybrid male last week about 30 miles from Douglas Wy . They are expanding their area .

Hello DSheetz ,

A "HYBRID" male ?
Does that mean that it has been genetically neutered , and therefore is incapable of reproduction ?

Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. has released "HYBRID" fish species throughout the past 50 years that are incapable of reproduction .
And they have worked with Texas A & M University to try to produce certain species of feral hogs that are "HYBRID" , that are genetically engineered mutations , that can breed with the wild hogs , but pass-on the genes that effectively cause the litters of piglets to be born dead .
At least that is what I read within the past 2 years , as a possible solution to the wild hog over-population problem .

DMP25-06

I'm not sure if it could reproduce or not they called it a hybrid as it was a cross between a wolf and a coyote . I do know that a lot of the coyote dog cross' couldn't produce pups when bred to other coydogs . The picture I saw the guy holding it up is 6ft 5 " and it goes past his head and still touches the ground with his hind feet . I know that Texas A&M has done a lot of work on pigs as well as coyote over the years .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.