A big boy ,shown here.

Ohlongarm

This big yote was an honest 58 pounds on a hanging scale ,or close,the road kills were used as comparison,that deer is in the 70 plus pound range. The diminutive 22 Hornet zapped him drt at
bb.jpg
110 yards,tail didn't even twitch,big eastern yote.

Wow, they are going to wipe out the deer. Out in CA ours are still much smaller but in packs they take deer.

Here in Maine the coyotes are much larger than south of us. Large adult coyotes are the size of pictured coyote in this post. Its why they were nicknamed brush wolves when they first came into state from Canada in the eighties. They are death on deer when it crusts in winter, a pack will clear out or kill most deer in their territory during winter. They are also hard on fawns in spring also. Our biologists have mantained since 2017 they have been crossing with wolves and exhibit DNA of wolves and coyotes and are increasing in weight as well. They estimate that 1 out of every 200 adult males are 50 # or heavier now.
Coyote 2.jpg
Coyotes Hurd 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Maine the coyotes are much larger than south of us. Large adult coyotes are the size of pictured coyote in this post. Its why they were nicknamed brush wolves when they first came into state from Canada in the eighties. They are death on deer when it crusts in winter, a pack will clear out or kill most deer in their territory during winter. They are also hard on fawns in spring also. Our biologists have mantained since 2017 they have been crossing with wolves and exhibit DNA of wolves and coyotes and are increasing in weight as well. They estimate that 1 out of every 200 adult males are 50 # or heavier now. View attachment 185995View attachment 185996
Nice and informative article,our ODNR made a similar comparison,seems Canadian timber wolves migrated across Lake Erie when frozen into Ohio ,PA,and crossed with coyotes resulting now in Eastern brush wolves.Many are now in the 40# to 50# range.

That's interesting here in Wyoming the wolves kill coyote and dogs . I have seen cross's between dogs and coyote here . Dog wolf cross's in captive wolf and for a while it was a fad in Co. to have dog coyote cross coydogs then people found out they couldn't trust them . Wonder how they got loose .

Nice and informative article,our ODNR made a similar comparison,seems Canadian timber wolves migrated across Lake Erie when frozen into Ohio ,PA,and crossed with coyotes resulting now in Eastern brush wolves.Many are now in the 40# to 50# range.
I live in WV and growing up in the seventies and mid eighties we never even heard of coyotes in our state but since the later eighties until present the coyotes have taken over and to honest a 50# coyote around where I live is probably on the smaller side. I see Many pictures of coyotes that are way bigger than the ones out west on the tv hunting shows. They do not like to come to calls nearly as readily as shown on tv either. They tend to slink around in the brushy areas and usually only come out after dark. I have dozens of game camera pictures at night and very few in the daytime.

There are quite a few subspecies of coyote , if I recall right it's 13. We have some mountain coyote that are pretty big they will average 45 - 55 lbs. . There were a few guys in the 80's and early 90's that were trapping and selling live coyote to people from back east that wanted to run them with dogs , supposedly in inclosures , coyote being coyote some of them made the escape and reproduced . Not having any thing to hold them back they had a run away breading program . Coyote are way cautious and smart . Out here the dumb ones die leaving the smart to bread with the smart kind of like a selective breading program . Texas tec did a lot of studies on them in the 60's and 70's one of the things that got my attention was that you have to kill 70 % of the pups just to stay even in numbers .

Good job on them coyotes. I think you need to shoot one with a .50BMG for your bucket list

Have you seen the video of a coyote being shot with a 50 bmg jbs2014 ? It's less messy to hit them with a semi at 80 mph .

We're getting infested in Alabama as well. Local pack increased and formed two packs in the last 3 years. I live in a Very rural area.
Rarely see rabbits any more. Few turkey polts in last 3 years. Deer fawns down too (good thing). Deer numbers too high- cause lots of crop damage here. Maybe that's one good thing. Coyotes hunt in packs here. Hear them regularly at night

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts