A big boy here.

Ohlongarm

This coyote shown next to my legally acquired road kills that I use for baiting was a solid 54 lbs, a big coyote anywhere, the doe was 95lbs so one can see how looks can be deceiving.

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 739
Ohlongarm , that's a bigun for sure . I notice that it's teeth are slightly worn so it's not the pup of that year . It has the rusty reddish brown ears and forelegs of a coyote normally found in my area as well . As well as the blacker back and mane of the ones we call mountain coyote here . If I'm not mistaken I saw this picture this winter thank you for sharing it with us . Our mule deer are a darker gray but our white tailed deer are slightly more of a brownish color then yours are but about the same size .

Several years back a friend of mine ( he is Lakota and his wife is Navajo ) ask me if I would tan a coyote for him to give to his wife's family . I had a nice mountain coyote that I had gotten that morning so I skinned and tanned it using alum to hold the fur in the skin , salt to kill the bacteria and copper sulfate to preserve the leather . It turned out nice I was proud of it . He took it down to his wife's family in Az . for them to use in their ceremonies . They said thank you but we can't use this it's not a coyote it's a wolf it's way too big to be a coyote and it's black not brown . Ok so we start over and do a smaller more brownish coyote they are happy with .

Ohlongarm , that's a bigun for sure . I notice that it's teeth are slightly worn so it's not the pup of that year . It has the rusty reddish brown ears and forelegs of a coyote normally found in my area as well . As well as the blacker back and mane of the ones we call mountain coyote here . If I'm not mistaken I saw this picture this winter thank you for sharing it with us . Our mule deer are a darker gray but our white tailed deer are slightly more of a brownish color then yours are but about the same size .
Yes I posted it at some point, some big ones in this 23000 acres, one day I'll post the fruits of my labors with my meager coyote eradication program, record amounts of deer and turkeys. I don't care what biologists say, 30 to 50 yotes a year about does in my opinion have an impact of viable game animals, and birds.

It all helps to keep the population of the wanted animals at higher numbers . If one coyote eats a set number of animals per-day then you multiply that per coyote times the number of days and you end up with quit a large number of potently saved animals from even taking 10 coyote a year .

Last edited:
That is the biggest reason that I believe in a good denning effort in the spring of the year and also doing my best to target the female from Jan -May . If I take a den with 5 - 13 pups that is a big dent in the numbers that will become adults by fall and they can be taken all at the same time in one day . I haven't had a problem of not having coyote to hunt at any time of the year by doing denning either as they will filter in from other places that don't den or hunt coyote . I did notice that in my area there were more fawns and adult deer and antelope as well as increasing the number of lambs shipped in the fall from 70 percent to 112 percent but on average it was 109 percent lamb crop so I feel that I paid my way . As you say a person can see the fruits of their labor even in just one years time let along over several years .

I also worked on the skunk , racoons and badgers hoping to help the bird and small game populations while I was out there as well as feral cats and dogs . And I didn't see any problems with the mouse population getting out of control as there were still plenty of birds of prey .

I also worked on the skunk , racoons and badgers hoping to help the bird and small game populations while I was out there as well as feral cats and dogs . And I didn't see any problems with the mouse population getting out of control as there were still plenty of birds of prey .
Same here, skunks coons,opossums mink foxes, living on a river attracts tons of these, ferals are a done deal no questions asked. Taking these varmints helps duck and turkey populations also. Also no beavers allowed, I don't want dams on my property , try to take furbearers when prime, despite low prices I sell on carcass.

This coyote shown next to my legally acquired road kills that I use for baiting was a solid 54 lbs, a big coyote anywhere, the doe was 95lbs so one can see how looks can be deceiving.
You didn't weigh the doe with that logging chain on it too ....did you? Cause if you did...it might only be 54 lbs !

I don't weigh them, but a 50lb+ coyote is like a 200" whitetail. Everyone thinks they see them all the time, until they actually see one. I have seen very few in that 50lb+ range. I have a buddy that has a full body mount on a 58lb coyote, and he regularly asks people what they think it weighed, and most people guess 75lbs or more. Plenty of people guessed 100lb+. They are deceptive in heavy fur to the people who don't handle them regularly.

The beaver were mostly only a problem in the mountains or the irrigation ditches along the river . I did have a couple of guys out north that had some beaver cutting their cotton wood trees down . I took a 52 lb , weighed , beaver out there .