A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?

Matrix Ballistics make two 270 VLD's at the current time and one more in the works, 165 and 175 gr with BC's running .650 and .670 G1, availability is excellent!!! Berger has one in the pipe line ready to go at 170gr with a G1 of .703.

We shoot the 165 Matrix from a 270 win at 2835fps and it bug holes, I shoot them from a 270 WSM at 3060 fps and I do well out past a mile shooting them. We also shoot the 140 Berger at 3140 fps from a 6.5 and the 270 holds it own fine and in the 270 WSM the 165 makes the 6.5 look just a little sad!!
From a 7mm you have to stop on the 168 Berger to try to match the 165 from a 270 and it really takes the 180 Berger to compete.

Are you getting the 165's to shoot from a 1:10 270 Win? Just want to clarify, I have one and have really been thinking of picking some Matrixs up and giving them a try. . .

Are you getting the 165's to shoot from a 1:10 270 Win? Just want to clarify, I have one and have really been thinking of picking some Matrixs up and giving them a try. . .

We have all 1-10 twist on our 270's, my elevation lets me get away with even shooting the 175's. I know some guys are doing fine with the 165 at sea level, I would sure give them a try, there flat awesome on elk from a 270 win!!

How does elevation effect things? I'm at 7200'. . . I would love to be able to use a 165 or 175!

Have you some experience with them hitting elk? I'm always nervous using a bullet designed for target on game. . .

There a lot of high BC bullets that can bang metal targets, that does not mean they are competetive at a match though compared to other calibers.

Bottom line is there is not one 270 on any competition line other than maybe a local fun match and no medium or top competititor is shooting matrix bullets at 600 or 1000 in real competition matches. Great BC and can bang metal, but not competitive. As for bugholes, had a 45-70 ruger #1 that would do the same, but sure not competitive past 100.

If you are not trying to be competitive, pick any caliber and any bullet, will not matter.

Excuse me but Scott Webber set a world record at Williamsport last Aug with Matrix bullets,
.277s Matrix or Berger are more than "competitive" but people being sheeple need one to win then everyone jumps on the wagon.
If a high BC bullet will shoot .4 moa even at 300, it is internationally competitive at 1k

There a lot of high BC bullets that can bang metal targets, that does not mean they are competetive at a match though compared to other calibers.

Bottom line is there is not one 270 on any competition line other than maybe a local fun match and no medium or top competititor is shooting matrix bullets at 600 or 1000 in real competition matches. Great BC and can bang metal, but not competitive. As for bugholes, had a 45-70 ruger #1 that would do the same, but sure not competitive past 100.

If you are not trying to be competitive, pick any caliber and any bullet, will not matter.

Hmmm maybe I should clearify myself some....Im goin to find a cheap remington 700 to steal the action....if I find a SA low enough Im gonna go .308 but if all I can find is a LA then wanted to know if the .270 would work for 1k target shooting...
No matter which action I go with we (ex coworker who does LR shooting) are gonna order a Shilen semi bull barrel and other toys for it.
Reason I ask about the .270 is I will be reloading the ammo and since thats what we currently hunt with I can easily reload hunting rounds for the wifes rifle using same components which be easier to just buy in bulk.
Our current rifles are Mossberg atr 100's so no option of upgrading mine into a 1k gun.

I seen at midwayusa that some of the nosler ballistic tip 150g are .496 BC and SD .279 where a .308 168gr is .490 and SD .253

Wanting to stay .270 in LA rifle if a SA isnt available at time to get rdy for build just to make things simpler on all I have to purchase for reloading

Also the 1k target shooting will be strictly for fun and enjoy....And ya never know if on that once in a lifetime hunting trip out west when that Bull elk or muley might be on the opposite ridge :)

Last edited:
How does elevation effect things? I'm at 7200'. . . I would love to be able to use a 165 or 175!

Have you some experience with them hitting elk? I'm always nervous using a bullet designed for target on game. . .

More elevation the higher the bullet stability, punch your numbers in to the twist rate calculator on the Berger web site. I'm at 6000 ft you should not have a problem!

I've seen 20+ elk killed with the 165 Matrix from point blank to just shy of 900 yards, they'll end an elks will to live rather abruptly!! At close range I make sure to stick them behind the shoulder or high in the neck and I avoid the low shoulder but once they slow down a bit they'll blow through them, even if they open up aggressively and don't exit it messes them up so bad you poor the carnage out of them!!! They are the best elk bullet from a 270 you can shoot, I gave them to several friends and none have gone back to the bullet they were using before if that tells ya anything about them.

Gotcha ok 2 things one you want a g7 bullet past 700 yards that also can be identified as a VLD ( Very low drag) that means the back of the bullet is tapered, it is a boat tail on steroids. The only 4 I know of worth a **** in a .277 thru a .308 are berger VLD's, serria matchkings, and hornaday A-max's and match. IMHO no nosler's can compete because they don't have any good g7 bullets that preform anywhere close to what a berger does at 1000 yards. Give me a 270 .486 in a g7 VLD And a .550 in a g1 (flat back) or g2 barley tapered and if I plan on doing any shooting past 600 yards ill take the lesser b.c with the VLD g7 all dayy.

Ok the title of this forum is is it possible to use a 270 as a 1k gun.. Possible yes, ideal, no. To shoot a 150 gr bullet you must have at least a 1 in 9 twist barrel you might have someone building it for you, but with the way the market is right now I would check on its availability, Almost all reloading ammo and powders are on back order where I am at least and I know up north it's worse.

To the original Poster.

After reading all of the post, I would agree with almost all of them if I were going to build a rifle
for competition.

But Your question was "Could You Use A 270" and the answer is definitely yes.

High BC bullets are definitely an Improvement over what we had 20 years ago But before all of
these great bc bullets, records were set at 1000 and 2000 yards with conventional bullets that are
still hard to improve on.

The difference is the shooters had to read wind,mirage,Temperature and practice more to be
proficient. The better bullets have made it easer (It,s stil not easy) on the shooter and the conditions
have less effect on the newer bullets.

There was a time that a bullet with a G1 BC that had a .600+ BC was a great bullet and was used in
all competitions.

So with all that said , a modern bullet for the 270 is as good or better than the best match grade
bullets that were used to set all of the records that are still hard to beat. Even then the new records
are only a couple of inches better than the "Old" records set with the "Old" bullets.

Shooter proficiency is still the most important thing for long range shooting IMO.

J E CUSTOM

Ok the title of this forum is is it possible to use a 270 as a 1k gun.. Possible yes, ideal, no. To shoot a 150 gr bullet you must have at least a 1 in 9 twist barrel you might have someone building it for you, but with the way the market is right now I would check on its availability, Almost all reloading ammo and powders are on back order where I am at least and I know up north it's worse.

To shoot a 150gr bullet from a 270 Win you need only the standard 1-10 twist, no need for something special, a 1-11 twist will even do fine with a 150gr at most times.

Shot this a little this morning with my 270 WSM and 165 Matrix, 1450 yards 13mph wind from 9 o'clock the wind flow half way to target is compressed over a saddle making for a 19 mph wind average. Target stand would not stand in the wind so we just whacked rocks but you cans see the results. Took me two shots to dial in the wind, one 2 moa down wind and one 8in down wind just of rock next three stacked in a 4in circle and the sixth went just left side of rock. The other two hits on the right side of rock are from a new 6.5 bullet were shooting, it's the only bullet I've seen in the 6.5 beat my 270 165 Matrix!!!

2013-02-16_09-14-11_53.jpg

Bigngreen, what kind of rifle are you shooting and what kind of velocity are you getting with the 165 you have my ear

Bigngreen, what kind of rifle are you shooting and what kind of velocity are you getting with the 165 you have my ear

The rifle is a Savage model 12 that has been trued, barrel is an Lawton MTU 1-10 twist with a mini Muscle brake. Custom 270 WSM reamer for the 165 Matrix, set up shouldered without a barrel nut. Stress free bedded into a B&C Varmint stock. With the Norma brass I'm shooting the 165 Matrix at 3060fps and I'm a couple grains away from the top end. I use a G7 BC of .336.

The 270 Win's we load the same bullet around 2800 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts