9mm side arm

Monster Toms

This is a 367-pound bear we harvested Sunday. While fleshing the head I hit an abscess and out popped a 9mm 115 grain solid. No crack or deformation of the skull. Makes a guy think twice about what is enough sidearm!

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_142902.jpg
    IMG_20220929_142902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 649
Last edited:
There's a reason lots of folks carry those Ruger Redhawks with Buffalo Bore ammo. I know lots of guys are touting the Glock 10mm because you can get more shots off quickly….I don't know if I agree with that logic, bears are faster than we give them credit and I don't think you are going to get off more than 1 shot in a situation like that. I'll take a magnum 357 or over, 3-4 inch barrel please and thank you.

You have even have better luck carrying a stick of salami to throw at him and hope he finds it tastier than you look.

We have some bears here around us, suckers get in our garbage and eat the bird feeder.
When working out side I usually carry my 40S&W loaded with 200 gr hard cast P++ . I know it's not the proper bear medicine, but I don't want to get another pistol and my MP is very fast and accurate with very little recoil. I just hope I don't need to rely on it ever.
I just hope for a black bear it will give him 16 reasons to mess around someplace else. They get 52 inches of penetration in jell so maybe.

Through the years, I have read numerous stories of bears being shot and wounded with lesser calibers, and often, if the person lived through the event, they stated the ability to get off more shots, faster, and ease of carry as their reasons for that pistol/caliber.

There are many times I carry an auto for local bear/cat protection, but it is a modified 1911 in 45 Super with either 230 or 250gr Hard Cast bullets. Other times when I know the risk of encounter is greater, it is my 44 mags with 300gr Hard Cast or the Ruger 45 Colts with 300's driven hard. A few times I have carried one of my 4 inch 357 Mags, but is loaded with 180gr hard cast bullets I handload very heavy. - YMMV

Through the years, I have read numerous stories of bears being shot and wounded with lesser calibers, and often, if the person lived through the event, they stated the ability to get off more shots, faster, and ease of carry as their reasons for that pistol/caliber.

There are many times I carry an auto for local bear/cat protection, but it is a modified 1911 in 45 Super with either 230 or 250gr Hard Cast bullets. Other times when I know the risk of encounter is greater, it is my 44 mags with 300gr Hard Cast or the Ruger 45 Colts with 300's driven hard. A few times I have carried one of my 4 inch 357 Mags, but is loaded with 180gr hard cast bullets I handload very heavy. - YMMV
Teddy Roosevelt used to say speak softly and carry a big stick, I'm of the yell loudly and carry a tree trunk camp.

There's a reason lots of folks carry those Ruger Redhawks with Buffalo Bore ammo. I know lots of guys are touting the Glock 10mm because you can get more shots off quickly….I don't know if I agree with that logic, bears are faster than we give them credit and I don't think you are going to get off more than 1 shot in a situation like that. I'll take a magnum 357 or over, 3-4 inch barrel please and thank you.

You have even have better luck carrying a stick of salami to throw at him and hope he finds it tastier than you look.
A 10 mm loaded to its intended spec is slightly more than the a typical .357 magnum. But the pistol is lighter and shorter with a longer sight radius for the same length barrel. It also has more rounds (Glock 20 and Sig 320X hold 16 rounds) in a lighter package. It also has a faster reload if you have expended all 16 rounds and are still alive. By comparison, a revolver typically has 6-7 rounds. It is heavier to carry, with a shorter sight radius. If you don't make a good hit in those, it is over. I love revolvers, but I cannot overcome the advantages of a model pistol. Especially since a 10mm can be a bit more than a .357 with a bigger bullet. I have heard of bears taking 5 or 6 .44 magnum hits and keep coming. But the recoil of a .44 magnum can be hard to get accurate follow up shots in a hurry. But 16 rounds of 10 (which are not as powerful but very little recoil by comparison) can be more accurately placed. Just some thoughts to consider in comparison.

A 10 mm loaded to its intended spec is slightly more than the a typical .357 magnum. But the pistol is lighter and shorter with a longer sight radius for the same length barrel. It also has more rounds (Glock 20 and Sig 320X hold 16 rounds) in a lighter package. It also has a faster reload if you have expended all 16 rounds and are still alive. By comparison, a revolver typically has 6-7 rounds. It is heavier to carry, with a shorter sight radius. If you don't make a good hit in those, it is over. I love revolvers, but I cannot overcome the advantages of a model pistol. Especially since a 10mm can be a bit more than a .357 with a bigger bullet. I have heard of bears taking 5 or 6 .44 magnum hits and keep coming. But the recoil of a .44 magnum can be hard to get accurate follow up shots in a hurry. But 16 rounds of 10 (which are not as powerful but very little recoil by comparison) can be more accurately placed. Just some thoughts to consider in comparison.
My opinion is solely based on knowledge of oneself….I doubt I am personally going to have the reaction time to pop off multiple rounds on a charging bear while busy peeing myself simultaneously. I completely understand that rationale and logic for other folks, Tyler Freel made a compelling argument for the 10mm but I would feel better with the 180-200 more ft/lb of energy you can get with a 357 Buffalo Bore and 1 well placed shot and hope I packed a change or drawers.

This is a 367-pound bear we harvested Sunday. While fleshing the head I hit an abscess and out popped a 9mm 115 grain solid. No crack or deformation of the skull. Makes a guy think twice about what is enough sidearm!
This proves a great deal about the discussion of 9mm for bear protection. 🐻 Under gunned beware.