9mm for the Hoods! 10mm for the Woods!

engineer40

I put myself on a "no more new guns" diet for a little while. But then Cyber Monday rolled around...

Got a great deal on a Glock 40 MOS (it's 10mm). I've been eyeing them for about 6 months. It's actually my first Glock. I tend to think they are ugly compared to other options available. Not just ugly, but they "feel" cheap. I gravitate towards metal framed 1911's or my CZ's.

But this Glock really fit the bill nicely; 6 inch barrel, MOS slide ready to accept an optic, 15+1 capacity, and definitely lightweight compared to the other options for a "woods gun".

There is a video on YT where a guy was connecting on steel at 150 meters with the same model Glock I just got. I'll see if I can find it and post. I have not had the chance to shoot it long range yet.

I am not a Glock supporter yet. I still much prefer the fit, finish, and feel of my beloved CZ's. But I do like what this Glock in 10mm has going for it. :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/cL2uLbDRJd8[/ame]

His shooting at 150 meters starts at the 9 min mark if you wanted to jump forward to that. It is impressive. But you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you miss the first minute or so, it's comical. :)

lol that's funny I started with a glock and bought a 1911 recently and I felt the same way when I bought my glock. Now I prefer my glock over the 1911. It runs out of ammo so fast and is heavy.

lol that's funny I started with a glock and bought a 1911 recently and I felt the same way when I bought my glock. Now I prefer my glock over the 1911. It runs out of ammo so fast and is heavy.

I got a few of the 10 round Wilson Combat magazines for my 1911. I tried the Chip McCormick 10 rounders but they didn't cycle reliably. The Wilson's are good to go for my pistol. 10 rounds still isn't much, but it's better than 7 or 8.

I loaded some 10mm and went shooting with a friend on Christmas eve. I'm happy with the Glock 40 so far! No complaints. I had a Burris FF3 on it and we were connecting on steel all day at longer than normal pistol ranges.

I think you would dig this pistol. Many guys use it for hogs/pigs and I know you do a lot of that. Legally you could actually use 10mm in MI for whitetail, but I have no plans to.

I actually have a few websites pulled up right now. Going to get some 200+gr bullets to load up for black bear. Not to hunt, but just in case scenario up at my property if I'm camping etc with my sons. And honestly I just like open carrying a pistol in the woods because it's enjoyable also. :)

I started on a browning high power 9mm when I was 13, started shooting my dad's first gen glock 10mm, and liked both. I turned 21 and bought a 1911 45 acp for carry. Nice gun, very accurate, easy to shoot well, but how can I say this without upsetting people....

It's not glock reliable.

Everyone I know that has or has had a 1911 says they can be ammo picky or mag picky. I don't like that. So when I carry my 1911, it's loaded with 230 grain ball ammo in a wilson combat mag. It has never failed with that combo. But I must say...I don't really carry it. I personally have a glock 42, a glock 22, and a glock 27, as well as my service glock 22, and in well over 10,000 rounds of those combined, have NEVER had a failure that wasn't the fault of cheap/poorly manufactured ammunition. But, glocks do have a downside in my mind....

They don't have a 1911 trigger.

But, on my personal guns I put aftermarket disconnects and do some minor hand polishing work, and it makes them good enough to do some serious work. And I know glocks are accurate, I have watched my dad print 6" groups at 100 yards with his gen1 10mm and handloaded 165 xtp's.

You will like it, they are awesome guns. I would recommend some trigger work, but they don't need much else in my opinion. I'm currently in the process of putting together a g34 open gun to play with in USPSA. I'm stocked for when I finally have to funds to finish getting it put together, it will be fun.

I started on a browning high power 9mm when I was 13, started shooting my dad's first gen glock 10mm, and liked both. I turned 21 and bought a 1911 45 acp for carry. Nice gun, very accurate, easy to shoot well, but how can I say this without upsetting people....

It's not glock reliable.

Everyone I know that has or has had a 1911 says they can be ammo picky or mag picky. I don't like that. So when I carry my 1911, it's loaded with 230 grain ball ammo in a wilson combat mag. It has never failed with that combo. But I must say...I don't really carry it. I personally have a glock 42, a glock 22, and a glock 27, as well as my service glock 22, and in well over 10,000 rounds of those combined, have NEVER had a failure that wasn't the fault of cheap/poorly manufactured ammunition. But, glocks do have a downside in my mind....

They don't have a 1911 trigger.

But, on my personal guns I put aftermarket disconnects and do some minor hand polishing work, and it makes them good enough to do some serious work. And I know glocks are accurate, I have watched my dad print 6" groups at 100 yards with his gen1 10mm and handloaded 165 xtp's.

You will like it, they are awesome guns. I would recommend some trigger work, but they don't need much else in my opinion. I'm currently in the process of putting together a g34 open gun to play with in USPSA. I'm stocked for when I finally have to funds to finish getting it put together, it will be fun.

I completely agree, 1911's are not "Glock" reliable. Although I do think that is partly because 100 different manufactures make 1911's. Only Glock makes Glocks. My 1911 is also picky on ammo. The only ammo isn't never had a failure with is 230 round nose. Not ironically, that's what the pistol was designed to shoot.

What would you suggest for Glock trigger mods that would still keep it 100% reliable? I've read on some mods and then people complain of light primer strikes, etc...

This is my USPSA Limited pistol and I love her. CZ Tact Sport. Holds 20+1, 5.2 inch barrel, a honest 1.75 pound trigger from the factory. I run a Ghost holster and Blade tech 2 belt setup. Very flat shooting! CZ also has an Open pistol version of mine called the Czechmate.

IMG_20160617_183523_466_Resized.jpg

morning, I am a promotor of the Glock 20. I have 3 10mm model 20 glocks. all have

6"barrel add-ons. 2 glock 40cal. 1 factory 6". 1 Colt Delta Elite 10mm SS. 1Glock

21 45ca. all the glocks sport double stack mag's.

For performance, reliability, just plain rock and roll the glocks to me

r supreme. the 10mm round is for hunting. the round is a stone cold killer.

U used to favor the 1911's. to many moving parts, will not feed all brass.

Just my preference. THK. Ulightbulb:)

All I have done to my triggers is a ghost disconnect and some careful and selective hand polishing of a few of the internals, and that has made my triggers more than useable. I haven't tried any of the other trigger kits such as ZEV, but I would do my homework first. All my guns are used for personal carry, and occasianally uspsa or idpa match, so I don't put match triggers on them, just make them smoother and nicer, and they work well for me.

From the factory my G40 has a 5.5lb trigger. Not horrible, but I'd be super happy if I could take 1lb off and maintain 100% reliability. With this particular pistol I have no interest in sacrificing any reliability.

Although with a red dot on it, it is fun to take some longer shots at the range with a handgun. So that's why it would be nice to have the trigger a bit better.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Go on You Tube and look for the 25 cent trigger job for Glocks. It will show you how to take it apart and polish the parts and it will make you happy on how it lightens and slicks up the trigger. I have done it to all my Glocks. It is easy to do.

First off I'm a cheap bastard that hates glocks.
Being cheap I first bought a Hipoint 9mm ($125 with 2 mags and two boxes of shells) Great accurate gun that has NEVER malfunctioned with 1500 rounds through it.
BUT=Its clunky and doesn't carry well
Bought a Turkish made 1911 in45acp that has served me very well through its 1200 plus rounds. Very reliable with good ammo and carries alright but not big enough to hunt with.
Bought a Ruger SRH in454 Casull to hunt with and it works well if I feel man enough to haul it around.
Found a deal on a CZ75 clone a few years back that is flat out the cats *** EXEPT being 9mm it isn't legal to hunt with.
Being I liked the CZ so well I went with an EAA CZ82 clone chambered in 10mm. It packs a punch and accurate enough to get-r-done. The only thing I've done to it is put in heavier springs to handle the full house loads.
Long way around the barn but Have shot a few Glocks and tried to like them ( I truly did try!) but they just don't point right to me.....The new backstraps can fix that but at this point I don't care.
I wish you luck with the glock but so far the three Glock 20 owners that have tried my EAA can hit much better with the EAA than they can with what they own?
Heck I'm still looking for the perfect hunting/bear pistol but so far the EAA is as close as I've found?

Go on You Tube and look for the 25 cent trigger job for Glocks. It will show you how to take it apart and polish the parts and it will make you happy on how it lightens and slicks up the trigger. I have done it to all my Glocks. It is easy to do.

Thanks! I did find a bunch of videos explaining this!

First off I'm a cheap bastard that hates glocks.
Being cheap I first bought a Hipoint 9mm ($125 with 2 mags and two boxes of shells) Great accurate gun that has NEVER malfunctioned with 1500 rounds through it.
BUT=Its clunky and doesn't carry well
Bought a Turkish made 1911 in45acp that has served me very well through its 1200 plus rounds. Very reliable with good ammo and carries alright but not big enough to hunt with.
Bought a Ruger SRH in454 Casull to hunt with and it works well if I feel man enough to haul it around.
Found a deal on a CZ75 clone a few years back that is flat out the cats *** EXEPT being 9mm it isn't legal to hunt with.
Being I liked the CZ so well I went with an EAA CZ82 clone chambered in 10mm. It packs a punch and accurate enough to get-r-done. The only thing I've done to it is put in heavier springs to handle the full house loads.
Long way around the barn but Have shot a few Glocks and tried to like them ( I truly did try!) but they just don't point right to me.....The new backstraps can fix that but at this point I don't care.
I wish you luck with the glock but so far the three Glock 20 owners that have tried my EAA can hit much better with the EAA than they can with what they own?
Heck I'm still looking for the perfect hunting/bear pistol but so far the EAA is as close as I've found?

I have no hate for the Hi Points. My older son was getting bored with the 10/22. So I bought him a Hi Point 40S&W carbine. Since the matching pistol was only $125, I picked up one of those too. I haven't shot mine as much as you have, but it's always been reliable and accurate. And the fact it shares magazines with the carbine is a neat feature. The triggers however are the definition of mush.

Before I bought this 10mm Glock, I actually ordered the parts to make my 1911 shoot 45 Super instead of just 45 acp. 45 Super and 10mm deliver similar energy. But I decided against beating up my 1911 for no reason. (And honestly a small part of me still questions the feed reliability of anything other than round nose bullets with a 1911).

454 Casull's and 460S&W Magnum revolvers are super heavy. In fact I held one with a 10 inch barrel once in a gun store and made the comment, "I think this revolver is heavier than my rifle that shoots 460S&W Mag". Turns out I was right!

EAA is definitely the best deal if someone is wanting to get into a 10mm pistol. It was hard for me not to buy the EAA. However, I don't know anybody who owns one and had never held one.

Thanks! I did find a bunch of videos explaining this!

I would just make sure you take a little more time and do it by hand, don't use a buffing wheel....

Sure, people have done it and turned out fine, but people also have done it and turned their glock full auto. No good. Go slow, do as little as possible to get a nice polish, and you will be a happy camper. If you take away too much material, it's gonna be a wild and unexpected ride...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.