97gr absolute hammer 6.5 grendel Game changer!!

snox801

So as the title states it is a game changer.
So I've been sending the 99 hammer at 2720fps with great luck on Audad, pigs and deer.
But when hunting hogs with thermal distance is thought so I went max point blank range.
Then when the absolute came out and Steve and I had a talk he said the smaller case stuff seemed to shine with the new bullet.
I instantly said what about 6.5 grendel in the 100gr range which I deem best for case size.
Steve went to work and in a week had a 97gr absolute hammer.
I started loading with my go to xbr and had to really pack it in to even match the speed I got out of the 99 hunter.
So back to the board. Looked at powder chart and Rl10x was faster and faster not filled the case 85 percent as opposed to xbr 102 percent fill with a 90gr bullet.
So after a long summer of work I got back after it. Had to go a good bit over nosler max load to get it going I ended up with a fairly soft load pushing the 97 at 2982fps with sd of 8.6.
This is out of a 16" barrel group was one ragged hole at 100 yards. I feel I could have broke 3000k with this but it's a pencil thin barrel and heavy fluting. Goal is to run a easy load in all 3 of my grendel rifles. So this load will do. At that speed if I zero 1.5"-2 high at 100 the pigs are not gonna be safe for a good range out.
Big shout out to Steve again can't wait to get my 123gr absolute going in my creed now.

So as the title states it is a game changer.
So I've been sending the 99 hammer at 2720fps with great luck on Audad, pigs and deer.
But when hunting hogs with thermal distance is thought so I went max point blank range.
Then when the absolute came out and Steve and I had a talk he said the smaller case stuff seemed to shine with the new bullet.
I instantly said what about 6.5 grendel in the 100gr range which I deem best for case size.
Steve went to work and in a week had a 97gr absolute hammer.
I started loading with my go to xbr and had to really pack it in to even match the speed I got out of the 99 hunter.
So back to the board. Looked at powder chart and Rl10x was faster and faster not filled the case 85 percent as opposed to xbr 102 percent fill with a 90gr bullet.
So after a long summer of work I got back after it. Had to go a good bit over nosler max load to get it going I ended up with a fairly soft load pushing the 97 at 2982fps with sd of 8.6.
This is out of a 16" barrel group was one ragged hole at 100 yards. I feel I could have broke 3000k with this but it's a pencil thin barrel and heavy fluting. Goal is to run a easy load in all 3 of my grendel rifles. So this load will do. At that speed if I zero 1.5"-2 high at 100 the pigs are not gonna be safe for a good range out.
Big shout out to Steve again can't wait to get my 123gr absolute going in my creed now.
Yup RL10x seems to where it's at with the Grendel and 97 Absolutes. Got this from mine when doing a ladder. posted the info in the absolute thread. Still have room to go as no pressure sign yet.

I'm going to work on some 109 absolutes and see how they do as well.

Attachments

• 172DAD6A-7978-4E72-89C1-006930498445.jpeg
    172DAD6A-7978-4E72-89C1-006930498445.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 119
Sounds like a hammer. What powder you thinking of running for the 123' in the creedmoor?
I am thinking varget or rl15 15 looks to
Be a bit better both have close to the same fill for bullet weight with 15 being faster on burn chart but worried about temp sensitivity that I don't have to with varget. So not sure added speed will be as helpful as stability.

Sorry it took so long to post. I posted it on hammers forum but never got over here to do it. Hopefully this saves some other people time trying powders.

I am thinking varget or rl15 15 looks to
Be a bit better both have close to the same fill for bullet weight with 15 being faster on burn chart but worried about temp sensitivity that I don't have to with varget. So not sure added speed will be as helpful as stability.

Sorry it took so long to post. I posted it on hammers forum but never got over here to do it. Hopefully this saves some other people time trying powders.
I was thinking Varget or 4895 would be best also. Looks like 44gr of Varget is getting hot in most folks guns which would prob be around 42.5-43 of 4895. Not sure about re 15 I've never used it for temp reasons.

Last edited:
I've been seriously considering this combo for my 12.7" Grendel SBR. Just been using my stockpile of 123 ELDm for barrel break in and initial testing. Only getting 2320 with AR Comp which I was pretty happy with since my 16" barrel before ran the same load 2350. I was between these and the 85 HH but with the increase you saw over 99's, I bet the 97's would be at least as fast if not faster than the 85's. That would certainly be a game changer to see these break 2800 out of this short barrel. You're the first I've seen to post results with these. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Ya wish I could have gotten to it earlier because I did push hammer for them. But life gets in the way. All loads were very very accurate with the 97 so easy to find a quick load. Would be neat to see that speed out of a short barrel.

Yup RL10x seems to where it's at with the Grendel and 97 Absolutes. Got this from mine when doing a ladder. posted the info in the absolute thread. Still have room to go as no pressure sign yet.

I'm going to work on some 109 absolutes and see how they do as well.
Hey mike I can't remember but I'll bring it up in this thread. Is this out of an ar?
I'm having trouble in my ar even matching speeds of the 99. Seems my bolt is unlocking to soon. I ordered a larue upper and gonna get an adjustable gas block to slow it down. Both the auto and bolt saw pressure at the same spot using the 99 so I assume it's a pressure spike or something with the 97.

Also what are your guys thoughts on a 87 ish grain absolute. I'm very tempted to run the 85 but Why have an 85 hunter bullet when you could have a 85 absolute. Only downfall I see is bc. And 85gr is not the class looking for bc.