951 yard NC late season mountain buck

airborneike

My son has been able to come home on leave this year and we have had a great time hunting together. You could not have asked for a better evening on 19 Dec 12. The sun was setting and cast a golden light on the hillside where he stepped out on the trail of a hot doe. Quick range shot showed 951 yards, put 21.1 minutes on the scope and when the deer stopped my son pulled the trigger and the rest is history.
The rifle is a 338 RUM that I built for him 4 years ago as a gift when he finished Army basic training. Kreiger barrel, blueprinted ss sendero action, leupold 8.5x25 scope and sendero stock. Shoots in the .3s at 3110fps with 225 grn bullets.
This is the first year he has been able to hunt at home for some time because of Army deployments.
I started him shooting 1,000 yd benchrest when he was ten and he was high man at the NC state championship group/agg when he was 14. We have enjoyed long range hunting for years. I am a 23 year (18 in SF) retired veteran.
My son is a "cocky" paratrooper and he was almost unbearable after he made the shot.:D

Attachments

• deer5.jpg
    deer5.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 139
Awesome!

Congratulations on a great hunt!

I love reading the writings of proud dads about the fruits of their efforts.

Congrats to both of you!

This young soldier is my nephew. He is a medic in the 82nd Airborne and we are all proud of him.

This is an awsome gun. We worked up a load using Hornady 225gr SST bullets. It shoots great.

He spent a week here at home and really got to relax and enjoy some quality time with his dad while they were hunting..Good shooting Erik...

Larry

If you dont mind me asking where are you guys from in NC. I am from haywood county. It is nice to see a few other people from around the area on this sight. I have not really been able to fine many other people around the area that are really into shooting, well other than just blasting away with no purpose.

hello wnc-coyote,

I live west of Boone near the TN state line. We have a lot of woods and mountains but there are also farmlands much like the midwest so there are opportunities here for long range hunting.
I personally don't kill much anymore but do enjoy helping and seeing others be successful in their hunting and shooting endeavors.
Do you live near Waynesville? There is some beautiful country in that area.

All the best to you

airborneike,

Yes i do leave near waynesville, grew up on balsam. I now live in clyde. We have a few similar places around here to hunt, only problem people have gotten so dang closed minded no one will let you hunt on properties I grew up hunting. Crabtree, fines creek and Harmon Den have a few good long range hunting opportunities.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.