95 Berger vld vs 88 Berger varmint

Jayjoe

I ran out of my 87 Vmax's for my 6 Dasher coyote rig and today worked up a load using the Berger 95 hunting Vlds and Varget and man are they accurate bullets. Half to three quarter inch 4 shot groups at 200 yards. I have also been thinking on trying the 88 Berger varmint bullet. Anyone ever try these on coyotes? Any expansion? I know these two bullets probably won't compare to the 87 V max in regards to expansion but I can't find them now anyway and they would sometimes throw wicked fliers for whatever reason so I won't miss them.

I don't know the 95 grainers...For flat bottom bullets, I load the bullet deep enough that the bottom of the bullet matches up w/the bottom of the neck. The whole cartridge neck has a hold of the bullet. If a boat tail, the boat tail goes below the bottom of the neck into the case...this keeps the full neck in contact with the bullet. This seems to keep my loads very consistent.

The 95 vld has a very short bearing surface. I shoot them 0.020 off hard jam As that's where they seem to like it. But with this seating depth there's not much bullet shank in the case. My rifle has a .104 free bore And I believe a 60 or an 80 would be a lot better with these bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.