945yd Oregon Mulie

No apology necessary. I agree 100%. As soon as a government agency determined that they OWN all the animals, and can CHARGE US to shoot them... it has been going down hill. They aren't doing the job they are suppose to be doing with the money we are paying them. Instead, as you said, anti's have gained positions in those agencies and are using it as a way to get rid of hunting.

$140 non-resident Oregon hunting license
$375 non-resident Oregon buck tag

That's not even including lease payments if applicable, transportation, and other costs of the hunt for gear and supplies. **** right its becoming a rich mans sport. When a normal man can barely afford to go hunting in the fall, or can't at all... it's time to rethink things. We've long passed that point. There's no way I'll believe that even 50% of the money I spent there is going toward enhancing animal numbers. Not when they introduce wolves and cougars as fast as they can truck them in.

All that edit aside, I did have a great time there. I attribute that to the people I was with and the beauty of mother nature however. I give not one singular bit of credit to an oregon agency charged with management of a species.

Last edited by a moderator:
correct me if I am wrong. That is one Huge Buck in my book. Up here in north Idaho Have not not seen any Mule deer for long time. Now I have seen a trail picture of a 5x6 whitetail about 2 weeks ago. Nice mule deer congrats!!!!

you are one of the first I have heard of to use the 285 Hornady on game. How was the terminal performance? Expansion, pass throughs, weight retention?

Awesome deer BTW! Just gorgeous!

Scot E.

you are one of the first I have heard of to use the 285 Hornady on game. How was the terminal performance? Expansion, pass throughs, weight retention?
To be honest, I was so excited to have broken my personal long range kill record that I forgot all about that until it was too late.

That said, the 285 did well, considering where my shots landed.

The first shot hit about 4" up from the bottom of the brisket, right behind the shoulder. This was a complete pass through. It left 2 nasty holes which turned the bottom half of the deers lungs into hamburger. Didn't knock it down, sailed right through. Obviously there isn't much there where the bullet hit.

Second shot I didn't apply enough lead, and hit it in the hind quarter. This went in and didn't come out. Never did find the bullet. Was probably in the guts that got ripped out. Either that, or it passed through and didn't leave much of an exit. Not sure about this one. The hole through the hind quarter was big enough that you could have pushed a baseball through it, without much effort. It missed all major bones however, so again, not much conclusion to draw other than it penetrated deep, and left a catastrophic wound channel.

Third shot hit high above the diaphragm, entering the spine, and exiting half way down the side. It absolutely shredded the spine bones, and left a baseball sized exit hole coming out the other side.

This was the first long range hit I've put on a deer with them. Based on what I've seen, I'll use them again. They are extremely accurate and carry enough payload to get the job done at range. I shot 300 scenars and 300 SMK's for a while, but they are just too heavy to get the performance I want out of my 338LM. I'm sending these 285's at 2800fps out of a 26" barrel, using 93gr of retumbo. Very happy with the combo.

Awesome deer BTW! Just gorgeous!

Scot E.

Looks like it done the job :D

I'm seeing a lot of Army issue equipment. Are you actively serving or prior service? Congrats on the shots.

I'm seeing a lot of Army issue equipment. Are you actively serving or prior service? Congrats on the shots.

Prior service. However that's not why I wear it. I wear it because multicam is INCREDIBLE camouflage, and truspec bdu's are outstanding for hunting. We also do firearm instruction, and those bdu's are a part of our uniform. :) Look at this picture.

The trend of BDU's being taboo in the civilian world is completely lost on me. They worked for me when I was in the army, they sure as hell work for me now that I'm out. One of the other guys is active duty, so obviously he likes them too. The new issue stuff is way cooler than my truspec pants though. Way more expensive too.

P1010396.JPG

Look at that picture. That was taken from the firing position with the camera just a few feet away. Those pants blend in like nothing else. From a hundred yards out, they practically turn invisible. Even in direct sunlight.

I use what works for me... I don't care who it's being issued to. I especially don't care if it scares civilians. ;)

Prior service. However that's not why I wear it. I wear it because multicam is INCREDIBLE camouflage, and truspec bdu's are outstanding for hunting. We also do firearm instruction, and those bdu's are a part of our uniform. :) Look at this picture.

The trend of BDU's being taboo in the civilian world is completely lost on me. They worked for me when I was in the army, they sure as hell work for me now that I'm out. One of the other guys is active duty, so obviously he likes them too. The new issue stuff is way cooler than my truspec pants though. Way more expensive too.

Look at that picture. That was taken from the firing position with the camera just a few feet away. Those pants blend in like nothing else. From a hundred yards out, they practically turn invisible. Even in direct sunlight.

I use what works for me... I don't care who it's being issued to. I especially don't care if it scares civilians. ;)

Looks great. I like my multicam for hunting too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.