945yd Oregon Mulie

Congrats on a great buck and some good shooting!

If ya dont mind me asking, what unit were you hunting?? Were you guided or no? Private land or BLM?? PM me if ya like...

I was down in south eastern oregon this year helping a couple buddys out. We did pretty good for first time in that country, all DIY on BLM land, no guide, no paying thousands of dollars to shoot a nice buck, just hard hunting!! Did not see a whole lot of deer down there, especially bucks, but the bucks you do see are typically gonna be decent, especially if you hold out and know what your looking for.

We ended up getting a 25" wide, 185" 6x6, and a 29" wide 175" 4x4. Net scores, but they wont lose much because they are so even, probly 5-7" is all.

There aren't as many big bucks down there as there used to be, thats for certain. LIke that in a lot of places anymore. Gotta be in the right place still and glass glass and glass some more. Premium optics are a must down there, from scopes, to binos, to rangefinders, to spotting scopes. Lots of gas, and spare tires are a must when your 45 miles from civilization lol.

Tough hunting, but it dont get much better then that for desert muleys!!

I was on private land, and not guided. I forget what unit it is.

Seems like there are plenty of good deer in the area... but as you said, seeing them and getting to them are two different things. In my case, seeing him and shooting him was the easy part. Getting him out of the back end of beyond was an entirely different story!

That is some stunning scenary, who cares if you get to kill something or not, walking around that sort of countryside with a rifle would be heaven.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.