916 yards on steel - sitting with shooting sticks

Used for PRS competition, and not always practical for many types of hunting, I have found the most effective non-prone support is the use of a tripod and "U" or ARCA/pic rail ball mount. This system capable of duplicating the steadiness of a solid prone position from a sitting position with very fast and flexible rifle alignment. My carbon fiber tripod, complete with ball mount is 24" long collapsed and weighs just under 5 pounds, and easily carried in a back pack. It also serves as a spotting scope, and or RF mount.
Shown shooting a 10" steel and coyote(steel) at 980 yards with my Surgeon/MPA 6.5x47
6EE8CC14-CEE6-48D4-B8B8-24CAA1D9E69C.jpeg

I have found #1 and #3 and not an option for me. I have to do them if I want to shoot past 2-300 on sticks and hit anything.

I really envy you guys who have access to areas you can shoot at these distances. I live in Central Florida and the longest range I know of in my area is 600 yards. Other than that, you have to find a private property owner that will allow you to shoot on their property.

Grefox,

And what is the price of that CF tripod with pivot ball or Swiss rail attachment?
I'm guessing it's about the same as a decent ED glass rifle scope.

Eric B.

Great shooting man

QUOTE="Len Backus, post: 1295194, member: 1"]I have just extracted this content of my own, that I wrote from deep down in a long 2 year old thread started by someone else..

My content (below) makes a good base for discussion on seated shooting technique and it was kind of lost where initially posted.

It relies on the following:

Tips For Small Groups From Sitting Field Position

1. Solid rear anchor for rifle stock
  2. Support shooting arm/elbow (sometimes by leaning back into the hill)
  3. Setup so your feet are lower than your butt if you can
  4. Check list: level, parallax, dope, etc.
  5. Setup for consistent recoil off sticks
  6. Range with environmental inputs

===============================================
December, 2014
Here are my newest, best groups shot at distance using shooting sticks yesterday.

This winter and spring we'll be working on fresh new material to present at the LRH-NTO Shooting Classes (CLICK HERE) to be held in the mountains of western Wyoming next August. In the classes we teach plenty of prone style shooting but one of the ways our classes are unique is that we also spend a lot of time on real life positions other than prone.

Too often prone just isn't available, whether you're sitting in a bed of sagebrush in Oregon or a field of CRP in the midwest or up at 8,000 feet on the steep slopes of the mountain west. And if the range is much over 300 yards most hunters are simply not up to the task of taking a clean shot on big game from a seated position.

Yesterday before my Green Bay Packers trounced the Detroit Lions I was at my friend's hunting land, refining my own long range seated shooting sticks technique in order to be better able to teach the subject. My shooting spot is high up on a snow-covered hill but just below its crown. My bullets from there fly first over many rows of pine seedlings and then over a harvested corn field where I shot four tasty whitetails just last month. I set out 2 steel targets at 916 yards on the far hillside beyond the cornfield and beneath a huge oak tree.

quad-sticks-4.jpg

My first 2 three shot groups were fired while using the new Rudolph Optics Quad Sticks plus my optics tripod plàced under my right armpit for shooting arm support. The feeling of absolutely no left-right jiggle builds great confidence in a shooter using the quad sticks. I have found that the armpit support makes the "vertical" part of the shot feel rock-solid, too.

quad-sticks-3.jpg

View attachment 80549

There was a bit of a variable wind coming from the back side of the hill that was difficult to call due to my shooting location on the down slope of the hill and to the lack of any telling leaves remaining on the winter trees. The 9 inch horizontal spread of each of the groups satisfied me given the wind and the distance. The vertical size of the groups were 3 inches and 1.5 inches respectively. If the 2 groups were superimposed the combined vertical spread would be 3 inches. That's about 1/3 MOA at 916 yards.

The wind became a little more readable at this point.

Next I added one click to the scope's elevation setting to better center my group on the piece of steel and switched sticks. I grabbed my Primos Magnum Shooting Sticks (formerly Stoney Point). Under my right armpit I used my Stoney Point Polecat tripod. This group had a 1.5 inch vertical spread and it measured 3.5 inches overall including width. If superimposed, all three groups using two different sets of sticks would measure a 3 inch vertical spread - 1/3 MOA.

quad-sticks-1.jpg

I'd love to share these shooting techniques with you this summer at our LRH-NTO Classes in Wyoming. You can read about the class offering HERE.
.[/QUOTE]

l was shooting at Kenny Jarrett's Range in Jackson SC on Friday. l was told they were going to shoot a MILE on Tuesday with a 300Jarrett.. Bullet is of solid copper and weighs 300 grains.. BC for bullet is .816 ..
Rifle is Jarrett of course but l don't have any more details... l think Kenny's son Jay will be doing the shooting...

Weather permitting. DORIAN is out there stirring things up a bit

UPDATE:
I just purchased a device that actually locks hiking poles into an X. It's called Quick StiX from Weisner Precision and costs only $40. No more using pole straps for a rest!

Now I can rest my rifle's forearm on the softer handles. And like most hiking poles mine have quick change length adjustment for uneven ground with flip-lock adjustors.

Each half of the high impact Delrin-Like plastic pieces snaps on your hiking poles just under the handle and clamps with a small stainless bolt.
When clamped in place in the proper orientation they clip together quickly and unclip just as fast. WHAT A FIND!

Eric B.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I just purchased a device that actually locks hiking poles into an X. It's called Quick StiX from Weisner Precision and costs only $40. No more using pole straps for a rest!

WHAT A FIND!

Eric B.
Excellent!!! . . . the wonder of forums . . . Thank you Eric for that find! Portable shooting rest is one of my most critical and difficult things to perfect in the field.

I have been trying to make my own walking stick connection for years, and of course in my garage shop it always comes out wanting. I have even drilled holes through ski poles to try and make a quick-pivot connection like this. Finally somebody who can do it has made one and thanks to you I found it. None of my google searches has come up with this!

Last edited:
zog,
Yer welcome. I think these Quick StiX will catch on with many hunters, even those who don't backpack or climb difficult terrain.

BTW, when using shooting sticks you need to learn how to position your pack on your lap so your support arm (left arm for right hand shooters) can rest on it so your hand supports the toe of the butt stock for much greater stability.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Just had surgery on dominant arm left shoulder yesterday. Anyone with experience with shooting stiks that can be used with only 1 arm. Be in a sling for 6 weeks and will have to shoot right handed???