916 yards on steel - sitting with shooting sticks

Cross sticks are hard to beat!

Attachments

• B7882B97-7EEB-4CA4-BA52-6DD81A66CD91.jpeg
    B7882B97-7EEB-4CA4-BA52-6DD81A66CD91.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 240
X-stix are my choice, particularly BPCR BP PPB.

Some testing at a short 200 yards - modified Sharps, LS Vernier and spirit globe, 528 grain 1:16 alloy paper patched slicks seated 1/10th inch into the Starline brass, 81 grains of Swiss 1-1/2F black powder, Federal 210M primers, wiping between shots with a wet bore gopher and a dry patch ...

Very well done!

By the way, my first ever center fire deer-taking tool was a Marlin 336 chambered in 35 Remington. Wish I still had it....
My first ever was also a 336 in 35 Remington. Still have it and its going to my son who is a Marine. Most of my hunting in the early years was in Northern Minnesota - heavy forest. The 35 Remington excelled in that environment and I've taken more deer with that gun than any other I own.

I have had very good success shooting from my Quick stiX from Weiser Precision with my 6.6 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro.

And now Weiser Precision has an adaptor and 3rd leg to make a tripod for rifle, binos or camera. This company makes high quality stuff that greatly reduces weight compared to wood sticks or even dedicated (and highly expensive) carbon fiber tripods.

My first ever was also a 336 in 35 Remington. Still have it and its going to my son who is a Marine. Most of my hunting in the early years was in Northern Minnesota - heavy forest. The 35 Remington excelled in that environment and I've taken more deer with that gun than any other I own.
I love that .35 Rem. I've taken many deer & a black bear with 200gr RN .35 Rem bullets out of my Rem mod 141 pump. It bodyslammed big deer inside 150yds.

I really envy you guys who have access to areas you can shoot at these distances. I live in Central Florida and the longest range I know of in my area is 600 yards. Other than that, you have to find a private property owner that will allow you to shoot on their property.
I'm in north central Fl. Fortunately I have 450yds fence to fence so I set up a 400yd shooting range along the back of the fam's property. I too am looking for a private place to shoot 500yds & out. Theres no ranges anywhere near here that are over 100yds.

For whatever reason I just came across this. I have read about people shooting from the prone position while hunting. hunting Az, Ut, Wy, Id, Mt, Nv, and Mexico-North. I never found it possible to shoot from the prone position while hunting. I will generally find a place to rest or support my rifle. Nothing else I will sit and shoot using my knees to support my elbows. I never seen the use of the sticks being used here. Interesting, but another thing to carry. It like it would great.