916 yards on steel - sitting with shooting sticks

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Len Backus, Mar 17, 2017.

1. barleydog

barleydog Well-Known Member

sitting and shooting is hard.....been practicing for coyote callin this season and man....its a lot of work getting good at it....im coyote deadly out to 300 yards...in perfect conditions....22250

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Used for PRS competition, and not always practical for many types of hunting, I have found the most effective non-prone support is the use of a tripod and “U” or ARCA/pic rail ball mount. This system capable of duplicating the steadiness of a solid prone position from a sitting position with very fast and flexible rifle alignment. My carbon fiber tripod, complete with ball mount is 24” long collapsed and weighs just under 5 pounds, and easily carried in a back pack. It also serves as a spotting scope, and or RF mount.
    Shown shooting a 10” steel and coyote(steel) at 980 yards with my Surgeon/MPA 6.5x47
    6EE8CC14-CEE6-48D4-B8B8-24CAA1D9E69C.jpeg

Don A Parsons and Len Backus like this.
  3. johnlittletree

johnlittletree Well-Known Member

Way to go!

4. wm5l

wm5l Well-Known Member

I have found #1 and #3 and not an option for me. I have to do them if I want to shoot past 2-300 on sticks and hit anything.

5. Bullets4Bucks

Bullets4Bucks Active Member

That's a great shot with sticks!

6. johnlittletree

No arguing that if that is your level of skill and not a lucky shot where you should have bought a loto ticket that day as well than that is FANTASTIC!

7. GregBFL

GregBFL Member LRH Team Member

I really envy you guys who have access to areas you can shoot at these distances. I live in Central Florida and the longest range I know of in my area is 600 yards. Other than that, you have to find a private property owner that will allow you to shoot on their property.

8. johnlittletree

I used to live in the country surrounded by farms and woods and it was easy to shoot long range in a manner that systematic and controlled. Now I live in the heart of a small city surrounded my larger cities! I understand. I have to drive a ways to get to anything longer than about 250 meters that is safe to actually shoot with no fear of safety for those not right next to me! Growing up I was always surrounded by military ranges.

9. johnlittletree

Early Military and Boy Scout books on the topic are really good. If you look at what was taught pre WWI up through the 1950's was all very good especially for sniper trained soldiers using optics even early optics. You do not need a perfect sight picture with perfect eye-relief and such. You should be able to squat"rice patty style", sit "Indian style with torso erect and parallel to the ground, prone, kneeling on one knee and standing. You need to know how to use a rest, bipod, shooting sticks, sling, sock filled with filler, bag, rest etc....You need to know how to shoot free-recoil and other variations as well. The US Army's 8 Steady Hold Factors is a good place to start. After that I would recommend U.S. Army's Designated Marksman

https://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtm... Marksmanship M16-/M4- Series (With Change 1)

https://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtm... Marksmanship M16-/M4- Series (With Change 1)