900 yd elk?????

i'm not sure 900+ and factory ammo belong in the same sentence. can be done, but to me, this is custom reloading territory.

reloading isnt a prob i just would like to stick with normal calibers not a wild cat just yet. so i guess its between .338 rum and .300 rum . is the .338 going to give me that much more of an leg up or is it not worth the cost of ammo?

reloading isnt a prob i just would like to stick with normal calibers not a wild cat just yet. so i guess its between .338 rum and .300 rum . is the .338 going to give me that much more of an leg up or is it not worth the cost of ammo?

338 300 grain SMK (BC .768) versus the 308 200 ACCUBOND (BC .588). Yeah its a pretty healthy leg up.

If your ranges were shorter, it would be less of an issue but since 900+ is added to the equasion......

Dont get me wrong the 300 using 200 AB's or even some heavier pills will do fine but the 300 SMK will make an elk crumble and near any range.

Barrels cook EXTREMELY fast. Loads change weekly due to this fact.

Hey Mick,
How many shots through a 300 RUM do you think would produce enough barrel erosion to require a change in load to maintain velocity and point of impact?

It seems to me that if it is 100 shots then it is an issue, but if it is 500 shots then it is less of an issue and maybe I could live with it.

I assume then that with a 7mm RUM you would have to change loads even more often that the 300RUM?

I have not shot a 300RUM but was thinking of getting one soon. Maybe not?

My second barrel changed dramtically every day between shots 0-200. Since that point I have been adjusting loads every 50-100 rounds depending on the load. The velocities are up nearly 300 FPS between today and day one using identical loads.

Most shooters will not shoot an RUM enough to notice or even care. For those that shoot them regularly and over a chrony every session will notice it.

My advice is if youre not having trouble, dont sweat it. If you start to take notice and it becomes an issue, then deal with it then.

The only problem i've ever had with my factory barrel and it's the heavy one , is it would heat up fast and my group would open up a little. I usually would take 25 minutes between shots so it would cool down i've seen 300 mags and 7mm do the same thing. I just put a broughton barrel on it, I have 34 rnds total through it so it's just getting broke in .The other day I fired 2 sighter shots at a target and then started my 5 shot group at another when I was finished I had one big hole :D My total time shooting was less than 9 minutes now I love it, any big magnum will heat up. My advice is if you go with the 300rum get a used action and put a hart ,broughton , or other match grade barrel on it and you will be happy. I bought my sendaro new and I still have the old barrel it never changed from 10 shots to 50 shots to 100 the only reason I changed the barrel was because the 155 amax was running 3400 fps and it heated the barrel up and moved point of impact because of heat! Now the barrel that's on it gets hot shooting it fast from shot to shot but in the end you have one big hole .Again any big caliber will heat up.

my second barrel changed dramtically every day between shots 0-200. Since that point i have been adjusting loads every 50-100 rounds depending on the load. The velocities are up nearly 300 fps between today and day one using identical loads.

Most shooters will not shoot an rum enough to notice or even care. For those that shoot them regularly and over a chrony every session will notice it.

My advice is if youre not having trouble, dont sweat it. If you start to take notice and it becomes an issue, then deal with it then.
velocities are up nearly 300 fps ..... Sounds like you got a chrony problem instead of a 300rum problem.:)

velocities are up nearly 300 fps ..... Sounds like you got a chrony problem instead of a 300rum problem.:)

Nope. Every other rifle reads concistent. Also periodicaly the bolt starts to get sticky until I reduce my loads. This is hardley a chrony problem. Do you honestly believe that a 300 RUM is the only rifle I have and shoot?

I started my load development with H50BMG powder due to the high pressure potential of this cartrige. I started with 95.0 and the 200 ACCUBONDS. On day one the velocity was 2893 average. There was no loose pockes or ejector marks etc...Today that same load is near 3200 FPS and the brass gets beat up as well.

I challenge you to bore scope your barrel today and after you fire 100 more rounds and every 100 rounds after that. It wont take long for you to understand what I am getting at. I also challenge you to shoot every session over a chronograph. Over time you will see a difference due to added friction of an ever cooking throat. :)

Last edited:
My advice is if you go with the 300rum get a used action and put a hart ,broughton , or other match grade barrel on it and you will be happy.

Are Lilja and Rock Creek match grade enough?? Those are the only barrels I have used.

I am also not the only person to see similar results from this caliber.

Last edited:
I have 4 to 500 rounds through my factory barrel, not sure of the exact amount .the last group i shot with it was a 3 shot group @100 yrds it measured.602 it has always been consistent once i found the load that it liked. I know it's just a three shot group and i'm sure it's not the smallest group that everyone else shoots. I will take your advice and keep an eye on my barrel as the shot count rises but i usually let the paper tell me what's going on .if i were you i would give tim north a call at broughton barrels .

are lilja and rock creek match grade enough?? Those are the only barrels i have used.

I am also not the only person to see similar results from this caliber.
Your the only one posting these results, so if your out there we are listening .......don't get mad i'm just playingun)

What ever the 300 Win mag can do, the 300 RUM can do a little better. Either one in a Rem Sendaro with muzzlebrake would be awsome. Hint: Whichever you decide on - do yourself a favor and first try the 210 Berger's. You won't believe how flat they fly. You will probably have to load them out to just touching the lands - this will almost certainly make the sendaro a single shot. In PA, I experienced a 10 MOA difference in trajectory between the bergers and my standard load with 180 gr ballistic tip Noslers. I am planning to take both to Colorado for the 09 hunt. 180's to 1k, 210's for further.

I started my load development with H50BMG powder due to the high pressure potential of this cartrige. I started with 95.0 and the 200 ACCUBONDS. On day one the velocity was 2893 average. There was no loose pockes or ejector marks etc...Today that same load is near 3200 FPS and the brass gets beat up as well.

I've been reading the comments here as I have just got a Sendero 300 RUM. Interesting stuff.

Meichelle, I'm not trying to be a butt head (I dont have to try, it comes natural :D), but.... 3200 fps with 200 gr AB's seems very normal for this cartridge and 2893 very slow. So from where I'm sitting... in my chair in front of the monitor... something doesn't seem to be adding up with your experience.

I dont doubt anything you say, it just seems a liottle odd.

Also, wouldn't backing of a little from max load save a lot of throat wear?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.