#9 vs M7

the blur

I'm testing various cleaning chemicals. I grew up on #9. Now trying M7, and WoW, it takes off so much gunk left behind by #9.

It's like #9 is a waste of time & patches. M7 in a spray bottle, sprayed on a patch. So much more carbon comes out.

M Pro 7. I believe it's made by Hoppes as well. Literally blows #9 away at removing fouling.

I had the opposite. MP7 didn't remove any copper. Hoppes is slow to do it, but if I let it sit over night, it would pull blue/green out the next day. Has to the the "real" Hoppes No 9 though, not the new "environmental" one.

Tried some Boretech Eliminator. That has been my go to since.

I do love Hoppes...it's like redneck cologne...

Everything is being improved these days. I guess I'll have to try M Pro 7.

I just saw there's a replacement for patches, too: a ribbed rubber plug that is pushed through the barrel. I bought one and it disappeared in the truck on the way home. Probably under the seat, but I haven't gotten the energy to look for it yet. Anyone tried this, and does it do a better job over traditional patches?

Finally, I have started. leaning toward pull-throughs instead of a rod. Two reasons: I am sure there's some wear from the rod touching the lands, even when I use a device to center the rod in the chamber. Second reason: I have two rifles that don't allow me to push a rod in from the chamber end, and I don't want to push a rod into the muzzle. With a pull-through, I can feed the line into the chamber and to the muzzle, then pull a brush or patch from the chamber to the muzzle, the way nature meant us to do.

I'm testing various cleaning chemicals. I grew up on #9. Now trying M7, and WoW, it takes off so much gunk left behind by #9.

It's like #9 is a waste of time & patches. M7 in a spray bottle, sprayed on a patch. So much more carbon comes out.

Well now ya tell me! 😉 I just bought enough #9 to last into my grandchildren's retirement! 🤬

Now I'll have to start cleaning my firearms mor than once every two years 🙀 or so to justify the purchase! 😂 memtb

Last edited:
Everything is being improved these days. I guess I'll have to try M Pro 7.

I just saw there's a replacement for patches, too: a ribbed rubber plug that is pushed through the barrel. I bought one and it disappeared in the truck on the way home. Probably under the seat, but I haven't gotten the energy to look for it yet. Anyone tried this, and does it do a better job over traditional patches?

Finally, I have started. leaning toward pull-throughs instead of a rod. Two reasons: I am sure there's some wear from the rod touching the lands, even when I use a device to center the rod in the chamber. Second reason: I have two rifles that don't allow me to push a rod in from the chamber end, and I don't want to push a rod into the muzzle. With a pull-through, I can feed the line into the chamber and to the muzzle, then pull a brush or patch from the chamber to the muzzle, the way nature meant us to do.
I'm not too sure that Mother Nature would be a gun fan! 🤣

Last edited:
M pro 7 doesn't suite my needs. Hoppes #9 does nothing. Both are good powder fouling remover, but other than that neither will do nothing. The EPA killed it when they required them to change the formula.

Nowadays, about the best you can get are made by Slip 2000 and Bore Tech. both will beat the socks off of any competition.

I can say this will authority as I have used just about everything on the market over almost 60 years of shooting and cleaning.

Bore Tech Carbon Remover (silver Container) followed by Bore Tech CU2 Copper remover ( Copper colored Container) with Nylon Brush's for me for deep clean. I also have electronic device I quick clean with, if just testing different bullet types between firing each set of different bullets , Mono's and cup and cores .